Author Topic: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?  (Read 10710 times)

Re: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2023, 01:17:09 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I hope they are able to do something with the TPE also, but only if it actually helps.  Any deal for a player that is going to help is going to require draft picks in addition to the TPE.  If we can get a useful player for a highly protected 2nd, great, but that is probably not realistic.  If we are going start including picks, it has to be a solid player.

I am not sure it is a good idea to use the TPE just to get a useless player contract that can then be used in some future deal.  Again, if it costs only the TPE, that is one thing, but if we are including picks to get that contract, just to include that contract with other assets to get some other player (the player is useless so not any value in a trade other than the contact), that ends up being a lot of uncertainty.

« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2023, 01:27:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope they are able to do something with the TPE also, but only if it actually helps.  Any deal for a player that is going to help is going to require draft picks in addition to the TPE.  If we can get a useful player for a highly protected 2nd, great, but that is probably not realistic.  If we are going start including picks, it has to be a solid player.

I am not sure it is a good idea to use the TPE just to get a useless player contract that can then be used in some future deal.  Again, if it costs only the TPE, that is one thing, but if we are including picks to get that contract, just to include that contract with other assets to get some other player (the player is useless so not any value in a trade other than the contact), that ends up being a lot of uncertainty.

I just wish we'd traded for Alec Burks.  The Knicks would have paid us to take him on, and he'd look good here while also being an attractive trade asset. 

I'd use the TPE on Rudy Gay, who I assume is available for nothing.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2023, 01:30:59 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
If we can get Cam Reddish for a matching salary and a second round pick we should pull the trigger.

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2023, 01:35:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I just wish we'd traded for Alec Burks.  The Knicks would have paid us to take him on, and he'd look good here while also being an attractive trade asset. 

Looking back, Burks would be nice but hard to say we could get him.  They also dumped Noel on Detroit.  If Burks could have been had but we passed, that is fair criticism.

I don't know about Gay.  Not sure we can get him for nothing (good chance though) and not sure he would help.  I would be fine if they decide to bring him in but I would not be outraged if they pass.

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2023, 01:38:55 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
If we can get Cam Reddish for a matching salary and a second round pick we should pull the trigger.

Do you think he would make our rotation?  The Knicks don’t play him at all.

I wouldn’t mind kicking the tires on him to see if the Celtics can tap into that supposed potential, but he’s a free agent after this season and I’m not sure he would get meaningful playing time.

« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2023, 01:44:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Do you think he would make our rotation?  The Knicks don’t play him at all.

I wouldn’t mind kicking the tires on him to see if the Celtics can tap into that supposed potential, but he’s a free agent after this season and I’m not sure he would get meaningful playing time.

Fair point. I doubt we use the TPEs at all and we just wait for the buyout market but I have faith in Brad to make the right decision. I'd still like to grab Obi Toppin if he was available but I don't think it'll happen...

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2023, 01:48:05 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I see some problems with this.  One, I don't think NYK wants matching salary.  Part of the reason to trade him is to shed his salary.  I guess they might do it just for a second and no salary relief but I doubt it.

Another is what is the matching Salary (need about $6M)?  Gallinari?

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2023, 02:12:19 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I don't see a need to spend the TPE just for the hell of it.  If I'm spending picks, I would like to find somebody who can soak up ~20 minutes behind Brown and Tatum more reliably than Hauser has been able to do.  But personally I don't see Reddish as that guy.  And Gay has been dreadful this season.  I think he's cooked.   

If Phoenix keeps freefalling heading into the deadline, then I wonder if Torrey Craig might shake loose.  He's a solid defender and a good spot-up shooter, and I believe he'd fit into the smaller TPE we have that expires in February.  But the price to acquire him would likely be steep for a guy who would be the 9th man in our rotation. 

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2023, 04:41:54 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I don't see a need to spend the TPE just for the hell of it.  If I'm spending picks, I would like to find somebody who can soak up ~20 minutes behind Brown and Tatum more reliably than Hauser has been able to do.  But personally I don't see Reddish as that guy.  And Gay has been dreadful this season.  I think he's cooked.   

If Phoenix keeps freefalling heading into the deadline, then I wonder if Torrey Craig might shake loose.  He's a solid defender and a good spot-up shooter, and I believe he'd fit into the smaller TPE we have that expires in February.  But the price to acquire him would likely be steep for a guy who would be the 9th man in our rotation.

This is how I feel.  No way they overpay for a 9th man.  If they make a big deal it would need to be for a 3rd start and I don't think they have the fire power to do it and it would really disrupt the chemistry on what has been the best team in the league thus far and a team who has not been at full health yet this season.  With Rob playing a lot more minutes they need JB back to gel.

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2023, 04:53:00 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

This is how I feel.  No way they overpay for a 9th man.  If they make a big deal it would need to be for a 3rd start and I don't think they have the fire power to do it and it would really disrupt the chemistry on what has been the best team in the league thus far and a team who has not been at full health yet this season.  With Rob playing a lot more minutes they need JB back to gel.

I hope we do something but it’s because I have faith they know what they’re doing. But you guys are right about the chemistry thing. It’s so dang hard to be the last team standing when there’s so many talented teams . So if there’s a discomfort between personalities in the locker room it can make the difference. We’ve unfortunately been through it before with a difficult personality.
  If there is one resentful person in the locker room ( regardless of how good) everybody feels it and are always on alert mode. Same thing in any job. People that get along and are happy employees work best together ( on average.)
  That’s what I think the Warriors interest in Pritchard report is about.
 The Celts and Warriors aren’t making a deal and everybody knows it.  It’s taking a (mini)swing at disrupting the seemingly content Celts locker room.

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2023, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Here is the list of players who fit into the Juancho TPE but not the Schroder TPE (so they make between about $6-7 million):

Jae'Sean Tate
Isaac Okoro
Kevon Looney
Cody Martin
Jaylen Suggs
Jaxson Hayes
Khem Birch
Bennedict Mathurin
John Wall
Lonnie Walker IV
Patty Mills
Caleb Martin
Joe Ingles
Bruce Brown Jr.
Onyeka Okungwu
Justin Holliday
Josh Giddey
Rui Hachimura
Rudy Gay
Shaedon Sharpe
Cameron Payne
Otto Porter Jr.
Nassir Little (he signed a rookie extension so his trade salary is $6.4 million).

From that list, there are just a few guys that are reasonably likely to be available for trade:
Cody Martin
Jaxson Hayes
Khem Birch
Justin Holiday
Rui Hachimura
Rudy Gay

Martin has missed most of the year with a knee injury, playing in only 7 games so far, so he doesn't make a lot of sense.
Hayes would be a nice get, but he probably would cost more than we'd like, as he seems like the type of player the Pels would move in a package for a rotation player/starter.
Birch is likely available, but he's out of Toronto's rotation, despite their need for help at the 5, and is owed $7 million next year.
Holiday is someone I've liked, but he's been not good this year.  He's out of the Hawks rotation, so it's hard to imagine he'd make it into ours.
Hachimura has been discussed already.
Gay has a TS% of .434 this year and is owed another $6 million or so next year.  If the Jazz want to send a 2nd to the C's in a trade, as opposed to the other way around, I'd be on board, but otherwise he won't even beat out Hauser for minutes.

It feels like it's pretty much Hachimura or bust.  Maybe Cody Martin if the C's were comfortable with his knee, but the pickings are slim.  Everyone else we're interested in with the TPEs will still fit into the Schoeder TPE.

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2023, 12:19:04 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2023, 08:57:21 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Poof it's gone.

Good read on why we did not use it

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/01/why-celtics-allowed-juancho-hernangomez-trade-exception-worth-69-million-to-expire-unused.html
Not willing to spend is what I feel. Same when they let the Fournier tpe expire.

We will see the Schroeder TPE expire too. This owner is something else.

« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2023, 09:40:20 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I don't see what either of those players gets you. Mind you, I like them both in their different ways; but since there's plenty of minutes headroom at this point for players already on the team who can give you what they give you, I can't justify occupying a spot with either of them.

Malcolm Brogdon, for instance, could easily handle another six or seven minutes; considering that, the addition of Burks, who is a poor defender and doesn't create shots for others much, doesn't look like a plus.

Likewise, Blake Griffin seldom gets on the floor at this point in the season; but he has a lot more to offer on the court than Rudy Gay.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2023, 09:46:34 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Poof it's gone.

Good read on why we did not use it

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/01/why-celtics-allowed-juancho-hernangomez-trade-exception-worth-69-million-to-expire-unused.html
Not willing to spend is what I feel. Same when they let the Fournier tpe expire.

We will see the Schroeder TPE expire too. This owner is something else.

Spend what to get what? Even if Wyc wants to write the check, we need another team to agree to a trade - we have to give them a pick or picks - and our offer has to look good compared to keeping the player and other offers. There aren’t a lot of players that are even imaginable in this space, and maybe there are none. Could you get an end of bench guy for a first round pick? Probably. But that would be a bad use of a pick you probably can get a lot more value from if you trade it with a player or just use it. Also, we don’t know what they’re willing to do until we see whether they make a trade not using the TPE, or get someone on the buyout market. Alec Burks is above the TPE and if you trade a pick to use the TPE that’s less ammo to get him. I wouldn’t send a pick for bench depth if we have a line on a buyout guy.