Author Topic: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?  (Read 10688 times)

Re: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2023, 07:43:18 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
One player I haven’t seen listed here is Pat Connaughton.  He fits into either the Juancho or Schröder TPE.  He signed a contract extension last summer and his having a bit of a down year this season, so Milwaukee might look to upgrade.  I think he’d be an upgrade on Hauser for the 9th spot in the rotation as a backup wing.    If the Bucks were to move him and other salary to get an upgrade (they have a rumored interest in Bogs), I’d hope the Celtics can hop in and get him.

Don't know anything about his availability, but I seem to remember that he's a hometown guy.

Mike

Yes, he’s definitely from the Boston area.  He bought something like 200 tickets for the Christmas game.  He’d get a salary boost just because he could spread out tickets to family over the course of a season instead of one night a year!

« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2023, 10:15:24 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
One player I haven’t seen listed here is Pat Connaughton.  He fits into either the Juancho or Schröder TPE.  He signed a contract extension last summer and his having a bit of a down year this season, so Milwaukee might look to upgrade.  I think he’d be an upgrade on Hauser for the 9th spot in the rotation as a backup wing.    If the Bucks were to move him and other salary to get an upgrade (they have a rumored interest in Bogs), I’d hope the Celtics can hop in and get him.

I can't imagine that Milwaukee will trade with Boston, particularly if there's any chance that player helps the Celts.

Also, the Bucks love Pat.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2023, 10:23:33 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I can't imagine that Milwaukee will trade with Boston, particularly if there's any chance that player helps the Celts.

Also, the Bucks love Pat.

The Bucks have been mentioned in rumors for a fair number of wings (Bogs, Kuzma, Crowder), and they’re fairly short on tradable mid-sized contracts that will help them get there from a cap perspective.  I don’t think he’d be their first choice to move, but I wouldn’t count it out either.

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2023, 09:48:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Today's the day that we get to watch another TPE evaporate.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2023, 10:08:24 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

That’s fine.  We didn’t give up anything for this one — it was acquired by just cycling through players we acquired as part of dumping Tristan Thompson, which was an addition-by-subtraction move on its own.  If it produces something, great, but we only got it as part of a salary dump to begin with.

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2023, 10:13:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That’s fine.  We didn’t give up anything for this one — it was acquired by just cycling through players we acquired as part of dumping Tristan Thompson, which was an addition-by-subtraction move on its own.  If it produces something, great, but we only got it as part of a salary dump to begin with.

It's fine, but not ideal.  It's another asset that will dissolve with no benefit to us.  It again makes me wonder how much of the front office's focus is on limiting additional spending, rather than putting the best possible team on the floor. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2023, 10:24:14 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

It's fine, but not ideal.  It's another asset that will dissolve with no benefit to us.  It again makes me wonder how much of the front office's focus is on limiting additional spending, rather than putting the best possible team on the floor.

It's not a pure asset though, because the Cs would have to trade a real asset with it to get something back. It's more of a tool that can be used to acquire a player -- a salary filler.

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2023, 10:30:04 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

It’s clearly both.  But we’re also limited by the assets we have to trade.  At this moment, anyone useful is going to cost something, and we’re low on 2nds and can’t trade a 1st until 2025.  Further, any asset traded now is one that can’t be traded in the future.  A lot of teams tie themselves up because they start trading picks for guys who then don’t even make the rotation or who leave in the off-season.  Ainge did that with Fournier at the end.  Stevens has also traded a lot of picks and young players.  Those trades have worked to date, because he’s been careful to get players who have a clear fit.  But giving up a 2nd for a Rudy Gay, for example?  That would be an error.

I do think Brad will make a move by the deadline, and likely it will involve one of our two mid-size TPEs, or it will use Gallo.  But I don’t expect he’ll make two such moves, because frankly this team doesn’t need it, unless a special long-term acquisition presents itself.

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2023, 10:36:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Teams claiming they are contending and that have no spending limits cannot just keep letting these types of TPE's expire. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2023, 10:55:24 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Teams claiming they are contending and that have no spending limits cannot just keep letting these types of TPE's expire.

Sure they can.  If the right player is available, there is no spending limit.  But spending $40 million on a guy who won’t even be in the rotation?  That’s just largesse, and the Celtics never claimed that was the plan.

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2023, 11:16:27 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Sure they can.  If the right player is available, there is no spending limit.  But spending $40 million on a guy who won’t even be in the rotation?  That’s just largesse, and the Celtics never claimed that was the plan.

Of course.  Also, when you have a team that the chemistry is working you need to be cognizant of how any change might impact the dynamics.  This isn't 100% predictable, but in addition to assuring that a new player is a talent upgrade and a good position/skill fit, the new player should fit the culture. A strong team obviously can handle some shake up, but no need to shake things unless the benefit seems clear/ worth it.  So no, you don't sign players just because you can.  Conversely, if there is a gettable player who you are sure will upgrade and fit, cost shouldn't be a barrier. 

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2023, 11:26:54 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The PERFECT option for that exception would have been Otto Porter Jr…but last week he was ruled out for the season.

Porter Jr. would have solved so many small issues in the Celtics depth chart, and because Toronto has really underperformed, would more than likely been available for draft capital.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2023, 11:33:52 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

I would rather the team get the right player then spending just to spend.  We don't know what teams are asking for in return.  The C's have traded Their 1st the last few years. 

The year Al was picked up we lose out on Alperin Sengun.  He'd look great on this team right now.  You need young players to develop to have on cheap contracts.  The C's will need these types of players when JB is resigned and JT gets another contract.  They will need replacements for Dwhite and Smart eventually.  If a team was willing to give up a player that would help this team without having to give up 1st round picks it would have been done already.  You can't mortgage your future picks for an end of bench type of player that will sit way more then he will play.  The C's are in the prime position for the buyout market because right now they can offer the most money (Gallo Injury Exception) and one of the best chances at winning a chip.

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2023, 12:22:08 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I would rather the team get the right player then spending just to spend. We don't know what teams are asking for in return.  The C's have traded Their 1st the last few years. 

The year Al was picked up we lose out on Alperin Sengun.  He'd look great on this team right now.  You need young players to develop to have on cheap contracts.  The C's will need these types of players when JB is resigned and JT gets another contract.  They will need replacements for Dwhite and Smart eventually.  If a team was willing to give up a player that would help this team without having to give up 1st round picks it would have been done already.  You can't mortgage your future picks for an end of bench type of player that will sit way more then he will play.  The C's are in the prime position for the buyout market because right now they can offer the most money (Gallo Injury Exception) and one of the best chances at winning a chip.

It depends.  For instance, if a TPE is on the verge of disappearing, it makes more sense to acquire an expiring contract than it does to let the TPE expire.  That's because trades require salary matching, and right now we don't have any large "chunk" contracts to trade for any of the impact players in the market place.

Right now, there are trade rumors about any number of guys who make in the $12m - $25m range.  Imagine how nice it would be to have Alec Burks and Justin Holiday right now.  We could then at least make up trade ideas for pretty much anybody who is available (or just keep Burks and sign a big man with the DPE).

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2023, 12:52:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I really hope they use the TPE. Knowing that this team is a contender, the C's need to go all out.