Author Topic: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?  (Read 10690 times)

Re: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2023, 12:02:35 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Muscala's actually not a bad target. He's likely both available and affordable (in terms of assets), and has an affordable team option for next year that would round out the bench without blowing up the tax bill. He also gives you different skill set than Kornet, which is nice. If Boston gave his agent a handshake agreement to pick up his team option for next year I doubt he'd block a trade, even if he does like OKC.

Of note: he more than fits into the Schroeder TPE that expires after the trade deadline, so this isn't one that would need to get done in the next week.

Is Muscala a better option than Blake? They both seem like “break glass in case of emergency”-level players.

You certainly don't want to be playing Muscala anything approaching starter's minutes, but he's a good enough outside shooter that he gives you a different look than Kornet and Blake, neither of whom is actually a pick-and-pop big. He'd be more a different tool in the toolbox of "backup big by committee" than a 20mpg backup, but for someone who shouldn't cost more than a second and has team control for a second season I think that's okay.

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2023, 03:11:25 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
As much as I love trading, I’m not seeing much of a value that fits into those TPEs unless we can get a team to trade an intriguing prospect drafted in the lottery this decade in return for our 2023 2nds and a protected 2025 first.

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2023, 08:28:31 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
As much as I love trading, I’m not seeing much of a value that fits into those TPEs unless we can get a team to trade an intriguing prospect drafted in the lottery this decade in return for our 2023 2nds and a protected 2025 first.

Eh, the problem with that is teams aren't going to trade the young guys who are performing for what's likely a pick in the late 20s and some seconds. Boston doesn't have the playing time available for someone else's Aaron Nesmith to figure out their game, so I wouldn't want to encumber Boston's firsts until 2027 for, like, Deni Avdija (not that he's necessarily even available, just an example).

What I think the TPEs, and don't forget the Gallo DPE either (that may be more useful on the buyout market than the TPEs are in trade talks), are is a "get a veteran cheap" option to round out the bench while preparing for the playoffs.

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2023, 10:48:14 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
This article listed some interesting names that could break free:

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-trade-targets-five-players-154800784.html

I don't think Josh Hart is realistic due to salary, and P.J. Washington is listed above.  Others:

Mike Muscala, Oklahoma City Thunder

2022-23 stats: 5.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.9 apg, 43.1% FG, 37.3% 3PT

2022-23 cap hit: $3.5 million

Muscala's stats don't jump off the page, but he's been pretty productive in limited action for OKC, averaging a career-high 20.9 points and 7.8 rebounds per 36 minutes for the Thunder last season. He's a quality 3-point shooter (37.7 percent over 10 NBA seasons) and at 6-foot-10 would give the Celtics some of the height and floor-spacing they expected to have with Gallinari.

Kenrich Williams, Oklahoma City Thunder

2022-23 stats: 7.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.5 apg, 55.2% FG, 42.6% 3PT

2022-23 cap hit: $2 million

The 28-year-old Williams probably doesn't fit into OKC's rebuild plans, but he's an excellent shooter who also can play solid defense at 6-foot-6, 210 pounds. If the Celtics have long-term concerns about Hauser, it might be worth taking a flyer on Williams, who is low-risk on a $2 million expiring contract.

Javonte Green, Chicago Bulls

2022-23 stats: 5.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.8 apg, 58.7% FG, 38.2% 3PT

2022-23 cap hit: $1.8 million

Green admittedly isn't an ideal roster fit as a 6-foot-4 shooting guard. But he's one of Jayson Tatum's best friends from his one-and-a-half seasons in Boston from 2019 to 2021, and an Eastern Conference executive told Heavy.com's Sean Deveney that the Celtics are "keeping an eye on" Green.

Green is shooting well from 3-point range this season and plays aggressive defense, so if the Celtics can't find minutes for Payton Pritchard, perhaps they'd consider swapping him with Green to save some cash and appease their star player. (Green did undergo knee surgery Wednesday, but there's optimism he can return right around the trade deadline, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.)

I'd love to see us double dip with either the Bulls (Drummond + Green) or Thunder (Muscala + Williams).  Also, for whatever it's worth, I've seen conflicting reports on whether Muscala is making $3.5 million or the vet minimum.

I agree with your positivity about Javonte. It's great to see him get rotation minutes and fulfill on some of his ample promise. Knee surgery is never good news, but this one looks routine. I guess I'm wondering how he'd fit in Boston; he'd almost certainly get a minutes demotion - not so good for his career trajectory, especially at his age; so I'd bet against it happening. Too bad! I'd love to see him back in Boston.

I have to admit I'm disappointed in the lack of success that the current Bulls roster experiment has had; it's good for the game, and good for fans, to have different teams doing different things. I just looked at their injury list, and I'd say that their mediocrity is better explained by players missing games than by a misconceived offense, though. Was Lonzo Ball really the key guy in their early success last season?

I can't say I've got any enthusiasm for bringing Drummond to the Celtics. He's a poor fit on both ends of the floor, I'd say, and despite the huge rebounding numbers both ways.

I also don't imagine that Kenrich Williams is obtainable - at least at any price that the Celtics are willing to pay. I see evidence that Brad and his elves are not so interested in bringing in promising young developmental projects (like Romeo and Nesmith, to pick a couple of recent examples) but rather in finished products they can fit around their core guys. (I know that I'd get a passionate argument about it, but I think they see Marcus Smart as one of the core group.)

Here's how I see the backup big situation, headed into the deadline: last summer, Stevens and company brought in several players to give themselves multiple chances for a third and fourth big to emerge. It looks like the one left standing when the music stopped was Noah Vonleh, poor fellow - but the point is the Boston brass don't appear to be looking to buy backup big insurance right now. Yes, of course an opportunity could come up, just as it did last year. Theis did a great job, and I think we ought to admire the way that Brad and friends remade and improved the rotation by subtraction, while also adding Daniel. That losing him was part of the cost of bringing in Malcolm was enough of a reason - we all agree on that, yes? - but Theis' chronic knee issues were no doubt a part of the equation.

I can't at the moment think of who might become this year's Daniel Theis, but I for one am not convinced that it's necessary - and won't be surprised if the Deadline passes by with nary a whimper. Hey, this thing is working. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Take yes for an answer! Etc.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 10:57:39 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2023, 11:07:37 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I also don't imagine that Kenrich Williams is obtainable - at least at any price that the Celtics are willing to pay. I see evidence that Brad and his elves are not so interested in bringing in promising young developmental projects (like Romeo and Nesmith, to pick a couple of recent examples) but rather in finished products they can fit around their core guys. (I know that I'd get a passionate argument about it, but I think they see Marcus Smart as one of the core group.)

I don't know much about Kenrich Williams.  Appears to be a Grant Williams type, undersized PF but with some skill?  Is he better than Grant?  I see 46% FT% this season (53% career).  That is always a concern.

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2023, 11:31:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I was looking more closely at Mike Muscala.  His Defrtg is 103.6 so far this season.  That is 9th in league for players with 15 or more games and 10 or more min/gm.  He is just ahead of Matisse Thybulle who is known as a defensive stopper.  That goes along with a Netrtg of +12.8 (4th in this group or sort) so this is not a product of just pace.  For example Matisse Thybulle's Netrtg is only +5.9.  Now I get that this is an extrapolation from somewhat limited play (33 games, 14.5 min/gm) but this is not a terribly small sample size.  His defensive rating last season was 104.9, still very respectable.  OKC overall is 112.1 this season for Defrtg (111.7 last).

Some have asked who could be our Daniel Theis for this season.  Maybe it could be Muscala?  Would he be able to crack the playoff rotation?

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2023, 02:41:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Sam Hauser is deep, deep in Mazzulla’s doghouse. He hadn’t been seeing second half minutes for a while, but last night’s game was next level. Hauser subbed in during the third quarter, and on the first play Martin got him off balance, went right to the cup and laid it in for an and-one. Not only did Mazzulla pull Hauser immediately, he even played Justin Jackson early in the 4th to take backup wing minutes - and JJ is not really an NBA-level player. When you fall behind JJ on the depth chart you’re in Siberia.

Won’t surprise me to see them look to use the TPE or DPE in a vet who can provide wing depth. Wouldn’t be a star, but someone they trust to eat minutes.

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2023, 03:00:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sam Hauser is deep, deep in Mazzulla’s doghouse. He hadn’t been seeing second half minutes for a while, but last night’s game was next level. Hauser subbed in during the third quarter, and on the first play Martin got him off balance, went right to the cup and laid it in for an and-one. Not only did Mazzulla pull Hauser immediately, he even played Justin Jackson early in the 4th to take backup wing minutes - and JJ is not really an NBA-level player. When you fall behind JJ on the depth chart you’re in Siberia.

Won’t surprise me to see them look to use the TPE or DPE in a vet who can provide wing depth. Wouldn’t be a star, but someone they trust to eat minutes.

Moe Harkless at least would add defensive minutes to some degree.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2023, 03:04:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Moe Harkless at least would add defensive minutes to some degree.
Gotta agree with Hauser in a funk (not dog house). Would be good to add a longer defensive wing option. Could help set a better tone when Tatum and Brown are in their no defense moods.

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2023, 03:11:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
For teams needing a refresher on what Payton can do, he’s provided some good footage the last couple of games. Valuable NBA player who is buried here when the team is healthy.

« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2023, 03:17:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
For teams needing a refresher on what Payton can do, he’s provided some good footage the last couple of games. Valuable NBA player who is buried here when the team is healthy.
Good to hold onto PP considering the history of these guys on the team. JB, Smart, White and Brogdon all tend to miss time. Can't just trade PP away for nothing. Need value back because currently he does have a fit.

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2023, 05:39:33 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
One player I haven’t seen listed here is Pat Connaughton.  He fits into either the Juancho or Schröder TPE.  He signed a contract extension last summer and his having a bit of a down year this season, so Milwaukee might look to upgrade.  I think he’d be an upgrade on Hauser for the 9th spot in the rotation as a backup wing.    If the Bucks were to move him and other salary to get an upgrade (they have a rumored interest in Bogs), I’d hope the Celtics can hop in and get him.

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2023, 05:44:53 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
One player I haven’t seen listed here is Pat Connaughton.  He fits into either the Juancho or Schröder TPE.  He signed a contract extension last summer and his having a bit of a down year this season, so Milwaukee might look to upgrade.  I think he’d be an upgrade on Hauser for the 9th spot in the rotation as a backup wing.    If the Bucks were to move him and other salary to get an upgrade (they have a rumored interest in Bogs), I’d hope the Celtics can hop in and get him.

Don't know anything about his availability, but I seem to remember that he's a hometown guy.

Mike

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2023, 06:00:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I can't imagine that Milwaukee will trade with Boston, particularly if there's any chance that player helps the Celts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2023, 07:41:38 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I can't imagine that Milwaukee will trade with Boston, particularly if there's any chance that player helps the Celts.

It would be the team that trades with Milwaukee that would re-route him for something from the Celtics.  Milwaukee wouldn’t have to be involved because of the TPE — the Celtics could make a simple 2-team trade.