Author Topic: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?  (Read 10699 times)

Re: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2023, 05:43:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I could use the 6.9 m if. nobody else wants it l :D

I want it.

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2023, 06:35:14 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Trade PP, Luke and Gallo for Kuzma, then sign a big on the buyout market.

I'd do that in a heartbeat.  Kuzma can give you 1-2 games in a seven game series where he's a difference-maker.

Got the idea from Keith Smith last night on the Karalis Podcast...they're concerned we can't rely on Hauser in the playoffs..they are correct.

Why does Washington do that?

They said Kuzma wants out of Wash.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2023, 06:38:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Trade PP, Luke and Gallo for Kuzma, then sign a big on the buyout market.

I'd do that in a heartbeat.  Kuzma can give you 1-2 games in a seven game series where he's a difference-maker.

Got the idea from Keith Smith last night on the Karalis Podcast...they're concerned we can't rely on Hauser in the playoffs..they are correct.

Why does Washington do that?

They said Kuzma wants out of Wash.

Even if he does, why would the Wizards take that deal? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2023, 08:26:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
This article listed some interesting names that could break free:

https://sports.yahoo.com/celtics-trade-targets-five-players-154800784.html

I don't think Josh Hart is realistic due to salary, and P.J. Washington is listed above.  Others:

Mike Muscala, Oklahoma City Thunder

2022-23 stats: 5.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 0.9 apg, 43.1% FG, 37.3% 3PT

2022-23 cap hit: $3.5 million

Muscala's stats don't jump off the page, but he's been pretty productive in limited action for OKC, averaging a career-high 20.9 points and 7.8 rebounds per 36 minutes for the Thunder last season. He's a quality 3-point shooter (37.7 percent over 10 NBA seasons) and at 6-foot-10 would give the Celtics some of the height and floor-spacing they expected to have with Gallinari.

Kenrich Williams, Oklahoma City Thunder

2022-23 stats: 7.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.5 apg, 55.2% FG, 42.6% 3PT

2022-23 cap hit: $2 million

The 28-year-old Williams probably doesn't fit into OKC's rebuild plans, but he's an excellent shooter who also can play solid defense at 6-foot-6, 210 pounds. If the Celtics have long-term concerns about Hauser, it might be worth taking a flyer on Williams, who is low-risk on a $2 million expiring contract.

Javonte Green, Chicago Bulls

2022-23 stats: 5.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.8 apg, 58.7% FG, 38.2% 3PT

2022-23 cap hit: $1.8 million

Green admittedly isn't an ideal roster fit as a 6-foot-4 shooting guard. But he's one of Jayson Tatum's best friends from his one-and-a-half seasons in Boston from 2019 to 2021, and an Eastern Conference executive told Heavy.com's Sean Deveney that the Celtics are "keeping an eye on" Green.

Green is shooting well from 3-point range this season and plays aggressive defense, so if the Celtics can't find minutes for Payton Pritchard, perhaps they'd consider swapping him with Green to save some cash and appease their star player. (Green did undergo knee surgery Wednesday, but there's optimism he can return right around the trade deadline, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.)

I'd love to see us double dip with either the Bulls (Drummond + Green) or Thunder (Muscala + Williams).  Also, for whatever it's worth, I've seen conflicting reports on whether Muscala is making $3.5 million or the vet minimum.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2023, 08:51:24 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I don't think Josh Hart is realistic due to salary, and P.J. Washington is listed above.  Others:

Muscala's stats don't jump off the page, but he's been pretty productive in limited action for OKC, averaging a career-high 20.9 points and 7.8 rebounds per 36 minutes for the Thunder last season. He's a quality 3-point shooter (37.7 percent over 10 NBA seasons) and at 6-foot-10 would give the Celtics some of the height and floor-spacing they expected to have with Gallinari.

The 28-year-old Williams probably doesn't fit into OKC's rebuild plans, but he's an excellent shooter who also can play solid defense at 6-foot-6, 210 pounds. If the Celtics have long-term concerns about Hauser, it might be worth taking a flyer on Williams, who is low-risk on a $2 million expiring contract.

Green admittedly isn't an ideal roster fit as a 6-foot-4 shooting guard. But he's one of Jayson Tatum's best friends from his one-and-a-half seasons in Boston from 2019 to 2021, and an Eastern Conference executive told Heavy.com's Sean Deveney that the Celtics are "keeping an eye on" Green.

Green is shooting well from 3-point range this season and plays aggressive defense, so if the Celtics can't find minutes for Payton Pritchard, perhaps they'd consider swapping him with Green to save some cash and appease their star player. (Green did undergo knee surgery Wednesday, but there's optimism he can return right around the trade deadline, per ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.)

I'd love to see us double dip with either the Bulls (Drummond + Green) or Thunder (Muscala + Williams).  Also, for whatever it's worth, I've seen conflicting reports on whether Muscala is making $3.5 million or the vet minimum.

I can’t imagine Kenrich Williams will be available.  He’s not an expiring like this article says — rather he signed a 4-year, $27 million extension over the summer.  He is trade eligible next week, so it’s not impossible, but I think he’s a player OKC would like to have on their roster as they transition from tanking to competing.

I’d love him, but I scratched him off my list when that extension was signed.

Also, Muscala signed a 1-year deal with Bird rights, so he can veto a trade if he wants to stay in OKC.

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2023, 09:40:56 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I can’t imagine Kenrich Williams will be available.  He’s not an expiring like this article says — rather he signed a 4-year, $27 million extension over the summer.  He is trade eligible next week, so it’s not impossible, but I think he’s a player OKC would like to have on their roster as they transition from tanking to competing.

Also, Muscala signed a 1-year deal with Bird rights, so he can veto a trade if he wants to stay in OKC.
the question would be why would he want to stay in the rebuild of OKC who'd figure to squat him on the bench next season when they're presumably healthy and trying to compete as opposed to him being traded to a contender that would likely give him playing time and a real shot at winning a title?

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2023, 10:28:37 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

the question would be why would he want to stay in the rebuild of OKC who'd figure to squat him on the bench next season when they're presumably healthy and trying to compete as opposed to him being traded to a contender that would likely give him playing time and a real shot at winning a title?

He's been there for years and likes it there?  He's not going to get consistent playing time on the Celtics, at any rate.  He'd supplant Kornet from his spot in the pecking order, but that's the bench on most nights.

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2023, 10:36:47 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Muscala's actually not a bad target. He's likely both available and affordable (in terms of assets), and has an affordable team option for next year that would round out the bench without blowing up the tax bill. He also gives you different skill set than Kornet, which is nice. If Boston gave his agent a handshake agreement to pick up his team option for next year I doubt he'd block a trade, even if he does like OKC.

Of note: he more than fits into the Schroeder TPE that expires after the trade deadline, so this isn't one that would need to get done in the next week.

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2023, 10:37:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Muscala is an interesting target.  Kind of a poor man's Gallinari.  Spotrac has his contract as a 2 year deal, $3.5M per, with the second year being a team option and they do note that he has veto power in 2022-23.  If this is accurate, it is pretty team friendly.  I don't know how the Bird rights thing works for his contract, but even if he does have Veto power, you would think he would be OK with a chance for a title even if it meant a lesser role and perhaps fewer minutes.

As to OKC, I can't believe that a 31 year old career bench player like Mascala would be in their future plans to any significant degree.  He probably has some value to more than a few contenders so I doubt that they would just give him away, but it seems that they would listen and be open to moving him.

So if we did trade for him, we would have a club option for next season (2023-24), then he would be 33 for the start of the following season (2024-25).  So even if we didn't have his Bird rights to sign him at that time, this is still a pretty good deal for a player who appears as though he would be useful.  In his career, he has played 29 play off games (with ATL mostly) averaging about 9 min.  I think he is right on the fringe of being good enough to crack our playoff rotation but I would be happy to see him on our roster.

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2023, 10:49:40 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
So if we did trade for him, we would have a club option for next season (2023-24), then he would be 33 for the start of the following season (2024-25).  So even if we didn't have his Bird rights to sign him at that time, this is still a pretty good deal for a player who appears as though he would be useful.

For the record, if Boston picked up his team option they'd have Early Bird rights on Muscala at the end of the second year. That lets you spend up to essentially the full non-tax mid-level on the player, which will be wild overkill for a 33-year-old Mike Muscala. I'm not even sure re-signing him would be where Boston looks to go at that point. Point is, they wouldn't be limited if they did want to bring him back.

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2023, 10:57:41 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So if we did trade for him, we would have a club option for next season (2023-24), then he would be 33 for the start of the following season (2024-25).  So even if we didn't have his Bird rights to sign him at that time, this is still a pretty good deal for a player who appears as though he would be useful.

For the record, if Boston picked up his team option they'd have Early Bird rights on Muscala at the end of the second year. That lets you spend up to essentially the full non-tax mid-level on the player, which will be wild overkill for a 33-year-old Mike Muscala. I'm not even sure re-signing him would be where Boston looks to go at that point. Point is, they wouldn't be limited if they did want to bring him back.

Thanks for the clarification, and from Muscala's perspective, he wouldn't really loose any contract leverage by being traded.  It is not like if he stays with OKC, he is going to get some big contract he wouldn't be able to get if he allowed a trade.  I would think he would be happy if the new team picked up the $3.5M next season and then anything beyond that is probably a pretty small contract anyway.

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2023, 11:40:41 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

He's been there for years and likes it there?  He's not going to get consistent playing time on the Celtics, at any rate.  He'd supplant Kornet from his spot in the pecking order, but that's the bench on most nights.
does he like it there?  not much there. 

if he's good enough to supplant Kornet in the rotation, he may be good enough to get on the court most nights.  Kornet has definite weaknesses that Muscala doesn't have (or at least the weakness isn't as bad).  could even supplant Blake on the nights Al is resting.

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2023, 11:45:51 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Muscala's actually not a bad target. He's likely both available and affordable (in terms of assets), and has an affordable team option for next year that would round out the bench without blowing up the tax bill. He also gives you different skill set than Kornet, which is nice. If Boston gave his agent a handshake agreement to pick up his team option for next year I doubt he'd block a trade, even if he does like OKC.

Of note: he more than fits into the Schroeder TPE that expires after the trade deadline, so this isn't one that would need to get done in the next week.

Is Muscala a better option than Blake? They both seem like “break glass in case of emergency”-level players.

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2023, 11:46:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

does he like it there?  not much there. 

if he's good enough to supplant Kornet in the rotation, he may be good enough to get on the court most nights.  Kornet has definite weaknesses that Muscala doesn't have (or at least the weakness isn't as bad).  could even supplant Blake on the nights Al is resting.

Plus, a chance at a ring and additional money for a playoff share.

But, I have no idea if he has family. Some guys hate having their lives disrupted.

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2023, 11:47:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Is Muscala a better option than Blake? They both seem like “break glass in case of emergency”-level players.

Yes, he is.  He’s a legitimate rotation player.  He’s a good defender, good shooter, and goes all out on the court.