Author Topic: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?  (Read 10712 times)

Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?
« on: January 11, 2023, 12:24:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We have two mid-sized TPEs, one for $6,907,815 and the other for $5,890,000.  The first expires in 8 days, on January 19, 2023.  The other expires February 10.

1.  Will we use the first TPE?
2.  If so, on who?

We can use the first TPE to acquire a player making a maximum of $7,007,815.  A list of approximate salaries is found here:

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/

So, basically anybody from the 190th highest paid player, Cody Martin.

To me, a handful of names pop up as guys who are pending free agents (either restricted or unrestricted) and who are on lousy teams:

Justin Holiday -- $6,292,440 (pending UFA)
Rui Hachimura -- $6,263,188 (pending RFA)
Rudy Gay -- $6,184,500 (owed $6,479,000 next year on a player option)
Otto Porter -- $6,000,000 million (owed $6,300,000 next year on a player option)
Cam Reddist - $5,954,454 (pending RFA)
Killian Hayes -- $5,837,760 (owed $7,413,955 next year)
P.J. Washington -- $5,808,435 (pending RFA)
Romeo Langford -- $5,634,257 (pending RFA)
Obi Toppin -- $5,348,280 (owed $6,803,012 next year)
Nickeil Alexander-Walker -- $5,009,633 (pending RFA)
Jared Vanderbilt - $4,374,000 (one year left at $4,698,000)
Justice Winslow - $4,097,561 (pending UFA)
Boban Marjanovic - $3,500,000 (pending UFA)
Andre Drummond - $3,200,000 (pending player option)
Saddiq Bey - $2,959,080 (owed $4,556,983 next year)

I'm sure there are plenty of other useful players (Naz Reid, for instance) but I'm stopping there, haha.  I have no idea who is available or for what price, and I'm not advocating for all listed players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 12:32:02 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
PJ Washington is an interesting player. Would he be willing to play lesser minutes though? Can he be a GWill insurance as well?

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 12:38:24 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Really depends on whether Stevens wants to send out future firsts to round out the bench. Justin Holiday, who isn't really playing in Atlanta, and Rudy Gay jump out as veteran forwards who may be available essentially for free. They're no great shakes, but either could be useful in a role similar to Blake, where they're primarily around to get the Jays a little rest in the regular season and otherwise be good vibes vets on the bench.

If you want to talk about sending out future firsts then your options open up some, but it makes it harder to target a pseudostar down the line.

Otto Porter had foot surgery that ended his season, so may as well take him off the board.

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 01:00:21 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Rui Hachimura  or PJ Washington are certainty interesting players but I see no way they get traded, at least not for what we have to offer.  Most of the rest, those that might actually be available in a low value trade, are not going to help much.  Cam Reddish was discussed in a couple of other threads.  He is possible but not likely and probably wouldn't help the team.

I know that many feel a sense of loss or missed opportunity when these TPE expire, but it looks like that first one will expire and the second probably too.  There just isn't much out there to get that will actually help the team.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 01:01:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
We should use both, but probably won't use either.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 01:03:50 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I'd still be interested in Obi Toppin.

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 01:15:14 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

The problem is I'm pretty sure the Knicks are too. He technically fits into one of the TPEs but you'd pay a premium to get him.

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 01:18:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

The problem is I'm pretty sure the Knicks are too. He technically fits into one of the TPEs but you'd pay a premium to get him.

I wouldn't overpay for him but I would send a 1st and a 2nd round pick for him.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 01:30:51 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

well, which  is it?  you wouldn't overpay for him or you'd send a first and a second for him?   ;)

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 01:35:39 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I know you like Otto Porter Jr, Roy, but he’s out for the year, so you should scratch him off the list.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 01:39:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Personally, I'd hope they'd use both TPEs to fill out the bench with at least one player better than Jackson but suspect these will expire just like the big one they let go earlier this season.

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 02:15:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I know you like Otto Porter Jr, Roy, but he’s out for the year, so you should scratch him off the list.

I hadn't seen that.  Looks like he just got surgery.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 02:16:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

well, which  is it?  you wouldn't overpay for him or you'd send a first and a second for him?   ;)

Yeah, a first for Toppin is a pretty steep overpay I think.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 02:33:54 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Depends on the quality of the 1st, doesn't it?  I wouldn't send them an unprotected 1st, but something protected isn't crazy, especially considering that pick would likely be in the 25-30 range.

The bigger issue with that price from the Celtics perspective is that we're unable to send something until 2025, which would mean in a subsequent trade that we couldn't send out a 1st until at least 2027, and Obi Toppin isn't worth that constraint with regard to future picks.  If we had this year's pick to offer, however, I wouldn't flinch if we traded it for Toppin.  I think he'd crack our rotation, he's still young and improving, and he could remain under team control for several years.  With our current assets, I wouldn't go higher than our two 2nds, but they aren't far off the value of a late 1st anyway.

I'd rather Vanderbilt, of course, but I think his price is higher.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 02:42:57 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Depends on the quality of the 1st, doesn't it?  I wouldn't send them an unprotected 1st, but something protected isn't crazy, especially considering that pick would likely be in the 25-30 range.

The bigger issue with that price from the Celtics perspective is that we're unable to send something until 2025, which would mean in a subsequent trade that we couldn't send out a 1st until at least 2027, and Obi Toppin isn't worth that constraint with regard to future picks.  If we had this year's pick to offer, however, I wouldn't flinch if we traded it for Toppin.  I think he'd crack our rotation, he's still young and improving, and he could remain under team control for several years.  With our current assets, I wouldn't go higher than our two 2nds, but they aren't far off the value of a late 1st anyway.

I'd rather Vanderbilt, of course, but I think his price is higher.

Nope, it doesn't matter.  I wouldn't trade the 30th pick in the draft for Toppin.

He's young, but I'm not sure that he's improving.  His scoring, FG%, eFG%, TS%, FT rate, and blocked shots have all gone down, and his rebounding, passing and turnovers are all basically stagnant.  The Knicks are also playing worse with him this year than they did last year (ORtg significantly down, DRtg slightly up).  Among advanced stats, he's seen significant decreases in PER, VORP, DPM, WS and WS per 48, etc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 02:49:22 PM by Roy H. »