Author Topic: Thoughts on the juiced ball era  (Read 891 times)

Thoughts on the juiced ball era
« on: January 08, 2023, 02:31:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Over the last 25 years the league has continually made rules to improve scoring and hurt the defense. This includes the complete elimination of hand checking (2004), illegal defense, reviews to upgrade fouls to flagrant, flagrant fouls for landing under players feet and most recently eliminating the take foul which has really increased the amount of fast breaks. Coupled with the Increase in 3 point shooting from everyone and we are starting to have box scores that are pretty ridiculous. I wouldn’t really call me a purist or anything but I am finally enjoying nba basketball a bit less and have enjoyed watching college and euro a bit more. Does anyone else feel this way? As someone pointed out in another thread Kemba Walker can come in off the street and score 32 and then get cut a few weeks later. Last nights kings lakers game featured 6 twenty point scorers and I believe there was a graphic on a tnt game that there has already been more 30 point games before the all star break than any other full season in nba history. What do others think?

Re: Thoughts on the juiced ball era
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 02:53:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
90% of the time I can't even make it through one whole quarter; the basketball it just too bad.

Basketball is only good when competitive. Removing well reducing defense to the point of near irrelevance has made most games unwatchable for me.

I watch old games on Youtube most of the time instead of current games.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 03:01:54 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
It's pretty much a non contact sport unless you are in the paint or the offensive player tries to create space. I think the physical play allowed last year was okay. This year the league went back to no contact. I think the league management likes it this way. High scoring equals more star play in their eyes.

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 03:36:45 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I like defense in most sports .  Especially NFL ,  I like close contests in  most sports I watch .

Contact adds to  a game .  A team willing to play out standing close tuff nosed defense has a chance in any game and rewarded for their effort.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 03:44:54 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I really hate searching for contact. Plays when there just isn't a shot and the player crashes into the defender just to get the foul. Let's call it the "Chris Paul". Just stupid.