Author Topic: Raptors next team to blow it up?  (Read 1562 times)

Raptors next team to blow it up?
« on: January 05, 2023, 02:24:02 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 226
Toronto has arguably underachieved more than any team in the league this season. I think they have gone as far as they can go with this current roster, and Ujiri knows it. I won’t be surprised if they take the Utah route and blow it up. Hell, it’s not even too late to tank for Wembenyama.

I think their strategy should be to trade everyone not names Scottie Barnes. Just gonna throw out some blow it up trades for them…

TOR gets: John Collins, AJ Griffin, Justin Holiday, 2023 ATL 1st
ATL gets: Pascal Siakam

TOR gets: Jonathan Kuminga, James Wiseman, GSW 2024 1st
GSW gets: OG Anunoby

TOR gets: Dyson Daniels, Devonte Graham, Garrett Temple, NOP 2025 1st rounder
NOP get: Fred VanVleet & Juancho Hernangomez

TOR gets: Ziare Williams, Danny Green, MIN 2023 2nd rounder, most favorable of IND/CLE/UTA 2024 2nd rounder
MEM gets: Gary Trent Jr.

Leaves the Raptors young core looking something like this

Dyson Daniels
Ziare Williams
AJ Griffin
Scottie Barnes
John Collins
Jonathan Kuminga
Precious Achiuwa
James Wiseman
Vet contracts of Thad Young, Devonte Graham, Chris Boucher, Khem Birch to use as trade chips
6 1st rounders in the next 3 years

Certainly bad enough to tank for Wemby, but good enough to have one of the brightest futures in the league with all the young guys and picks.

I also kind of feel like the Celtics should get in on the FVV sweepstakes but only at the price of White, Pritchard, and a protected 1st

Re: Raptors next team to blow it up?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 02:38:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
If they do and Boston can get Siakam (without Tatum or Brown), I think that would be great

Siakam

for

White, Gallinari, Grant, Jackson, $$ (to cut Jackson), 25 1st (top 4), 27 1st (lotto)

2nd trade

Birch

for

2023 2nd (fit into Hernangomez TPE)

So post trade (with 3 open spots)

Guards - Smart, Brogdon, Pritchard
Wings - Tatum, Brown, Siakam, Hauser
Bigs - Rob, Horford, Birch, Griffin, Kornet

Then use the Richardson TPE to add someone in the 5.5 million range and still have the 2 spots for buy outs or veteran minimum type players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
If they do and Boston can get Siakam (without Tatum or Brown), I think that would be great

Siakam

for

White, Gallinari, Grant, Jackson, $$ (to cut Jackson), 25 1st (top 4), 27 1st (lotto)

2nd trade

Birch

for

Then use the Richardson TPE to add someone in the 5.5 million range and still have the 2 spots for buy outs or veteran minimum type players.
You pretty much have to make any move to bring in Siakam if it doesn't cost Tatum or Brown. Lineup versatility with Tatum/Brown/Siakam would be a coaches dream.
Alot of people don't realize, but Siakam can play big for alot of Raptors lineups. We could theoretically play 2 more wings or guards alongside that big 3. I wouldn't do that all the time of course, but that is what we are talking about here.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 02:57:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm still not convinced Siakim has ever made a basket against us ... at least I can't remember one, but I like the potential versatility he brings. If you move him back to third banana, he could thrive again.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 04:01:33 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Siakam

for

2nd trade

Birch

for

Which tool are you using? With the ESPN Trade Machine you need to add another small contract to match the salary of Siakam. Anyway I'd prefer to send out Smart. Yes, that may shock some folks, but as a current DPOY he holds more trading value than his actual worth on the court. Same way you can sell Grant as an elite shooter (two years > 40% from three). But they're both replaceable. It could save us a few picks.

It is an interesting foresight trading for Siakam. If (big if) everybody is healthy you could shorten the playoff rotation in the big games to seven main guys, which looks truly elite.

White/Smart 32
Brogdon 32
Brown 40
Tatum 40
Siakam 40
Horford 28
R.Williams 28

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 04:19:26 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Or Nurse + Boucher for a 1st ?  :D

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 04:27:42 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
OG Anunoby is a better get for the C's than Siakam. Siakam wouldn't be happy here as a 3rd wheel.

Anunoby is less of a true big, but he's very strong, has a 7'2 wingspan and is a great defender. He also is 3 years younger and makes half as much as Siakam.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 07:17:20 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
OG Anunoby is a better get for the C's than Siakam. Siakam wouldn't be happy here as a 3rd wheel.

Anunoby is less of a true big, but he's very strong, has a 7'2 wingspan and is a great defender. He also is 3 years younger and makes half as much as Siakam.
That's good because he's half the player Siakam is.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 10:04:54 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Tatum, Brown, Siakam, Brogdon, Rob… yikes. I can’t fathom it will happen but that’s some scary personnel.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 04:13:39 AM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 10:17:35 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Siakam

for

2nd trade

Birch

for

Siakam is a all-star caliber player probably need to add one more first. White, Grant, three first isn't a bad return if they blow it up. Then White and Grant can be flipped if they want for more picks. I'd keep White and trade Vanvleet myself. Build around Barnes.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2023, 06:25:16 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The Raps need a long-term solution at the Center position. Siakam isn't a Center. He plays there out of necessity. The way I see it, any deal with the Celtics for Siakam starts with Timelord. I realize most C's fans won't like it, but you gotta lose something in order to gain something else. That's how trades work. Can't possibly expect from other teams to send us their best players for pennies on the dollar.

Timelord + Grant + White for Siakam is a valid trade, salary-wise. Feel free to include pick(s) if you deem it necessary. I bet we'd have to send them at least 2 firsts.

Why for the C's
  • Timelord is injury prone.
  • Grant is about the get paid.
  • White is expendable cause we already have Smart, Brogdon and Pritchard.

Why for the Raps

Not sure tbh. Chances are they can get better offers, mainly because other teams can send them more valuable picks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 07:12:45 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2023, 08:44:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The Raps need a long-term solution at the Center position. Siakam isn't a Center. He plays there out of necessity. The way I see it, any deal with the Celtics for Siakam starts with Timelord. I realize most C's fans won't like it, but you gotta lose something in order to gain something else. That's how trades work. Can't possibly expect from other teams to send us their best players for pennies on the dollar.

Timelord + Grant + White for Siakam is a valid trade, salary-wise. Feel free to include pick(s) if you deem it necessary. I bet we'd have to send them at least 2 firsts.

Why for the C's
  • Timelord is injury prone.
  • Grant is about the get paid.
  • White is expendable cause we already have Smart, Brogdon and Pritchard.

Why for the Raps

Not sure tbh. Chances are they can get better offers, mainly because other teams can send them more valuable picks.
gut the team for one guy who isn't an annual all-star?  no thanks.  Siakam's good, and the best player in this deal but not enough to give 3 of our top 8 players. 

your reasoning for ditching Timelord because Toronto needs a center and TL is injury prone is ridiculous.  that leaves the C's with a gaping hole at center -- not just a body to play that spot but a player that radically improves our defensive and rebounding performance.   

also, Brad's shown you don't have to give up something to get something.  anyone feel we gave up much to get Brogdon?   I certainly don't regardless of how Nesmith is improving this year.

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2023, 10:49:02 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Siakam

for

2nd trade

Birch

for

Which tool are you using? With the ESPN Trade Machine you need to add another small contract to match the salary of Siakam. Anyway I'd prefer to send out Smart. Yes, that may shock some folks, but as a current DPOY he holds more trading value than his actual worth on the court. Same way you can sell Grant as an elite shooter (two years > 40% from three). But they're both replaceable. It could save us a few picks.

It is an interesting foresight trading for Siakam. If (big if) everybody is healthy you could shorten the playoff rotation in the big games to seven main guys, which looks truly elite.

White/Smart 32
Brogdon 32
Brown 40
Tatum 40
Siakam 40
Horford 28
R.Williams 28
Once Jackson's contract is fully guaranteed that trade works because it works with Griffin instead of Jackson and they have the same contract value.  It is Jackson's status as not fully guaranteed that makes it not work on trade machine, but January 10th he is fully guaranteed.  If you made the trade now, you just send Blake instead of Jackson and it works. I'd still do that, but I'd rather send Jackson.

I wouldn't include Rob unless there were no picks involved and Boston got someone else of value back.  The problem is, Toronto has no real value from their lower salary players.  Which makes working a trade more difficult in that scenario.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2023, 01:10:44 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Could Raptors be in on Young if they were giving up
Vanvleet, Jackson and Siakam
for
Young, Okongwu, Kamisky, Holiday?

Not sure picks but Young, Trent, OG, Barnes, Okongu is a nice starting five for Raptors.

Hawks can play length in Murray, Hunter, Siakam, Collins, Capela as Starters. Vanvleet, Brog and JJ off the bench.