Author Topic: Two trades then either a free agent or buy out option  (Read 1694 times)

Two trades then either a free agent or buy out option
« on: January 05, 2023, 01:14:33 AM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
The Celtics are in a position where they can add pieces and not touch the core.  The two trades I've come up with give us the two positions we need, a back up young big and a versatile wing.  The free agent or buy out is to fill in for one of the players being traded.

Trade 1
Celtics - Payton Pritchard and Justin Jackson, future 2nd or 2
Pacer - Jalen Smith

Celtics get the backup young big that plays the 4&5.  Smith is signed on a 3 year deal at roughly 5 million a year and would fit as a back up to either position and great insurance for Williams.  Pacers get a young point guard to back up their needs.  Plus the draft pick makes it more likeable for them, Jackson is just cap filler but could be used. 

Trade 2
Celtics - Danilo Gallinari and Noah Vonleh, 2nd rounder
Suns - Jae Crowder

Celtics get a versatile wing, great defender for the playoff run.  Lets Tatum and Brown have a little more break time when needed.  Suns get rid of Crowder, get a draft pick and Gallinari could come back for playoff or next year gives them another shooter. 

With Payton Pritchard being traded two names come to mind for a replacement.  You could bring back Isaiah Thomas to be the spark off the bench plus makes a great story and lessen the blow of trading Gallinari.  The other would maybe bring Rajon Rondo back on cheap if needing another point guard.  The buyout market could be of John Wall and the Clippers decide to split ways, bringing in Wall would give you another veteran point guard.

Re: Two trades then either a free agent or buy out option
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 05:04:50 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Indiana would say nope…Phoenix may do that just to get rid of Crowder
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 08:29:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Indiana would say nope…Phoenix may do that just to get rid of Crowder
agree that Indy would pass on that.  also, no way Crowder wants to come back to Boston considering the circumstances of his departure. 

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 10:26:41 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
On the surface the idea of Rondo coming back sounds ok, but then you remember this:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/rajon-rondo-accusations-explained-domestic-dispute-gun-restraining-order-girlfriend/znni2rzzfuv3ui6vjzogvqy6

In the trade discussed, the Pacers probably say no. They may go for this, though:

BOS In: Jalen Smith, TJ McConnell
BOS Out: Pritchard, Gallo, Vonleh, (2) 2023 2nds

Then we go looking for the best available buyout, or just sign Davison.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 10:54:58 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
On the surface the idea of Rondo coming back sounds ok, but then you remember this:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/rajon-rondo-accusations-explained-domestic-dispute-gun-restraining-order-girlfriend/znni2rzzfuv3ui6vjzogvqy6

In the trade discussed, the Pacers probably say no. They may go for this, though:

BOS In: Jalen Smith, TJ McConnell
BOS Out: Pritchard, Gallo, Vonleh, (2) 2023 2nds

Then we go looking for the best available buyout, or just sign Davison.
they'd be even less likely to go for that trade

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 11:04:30 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Why would we give away so many goodies for Jae Crowder?  Gallo alone is a better player and fit, let alone giving away a decent big and a pick.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 11:52:49 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Not sure about Jalen Smith.  In theory, a young PF, is exactly what we need.  But it is exactly what IND needs also.  If he is good, why would they trade him for scrubs, if they don't value him and are willing to trade him for scrubs, why would we want him?  I have not seen Smith play lately so I am not sure where he is at.  If he is actually someone that would play regular minutes for us like Grant or is he something less than that?  If he is Grant or better, they are not going to trade him for scrubs.

Crowder is interesting.  He could help us, no doubt.  Can play SF and also swing/PF.  For PHO though, other than saving around $2M, this trade would not give them anything that helps them this year.  I don't see them valuing a 2nd round pick all that much.

I don't recall what Crowder's issues were with Boston when he left but it is a new regime now so maybe that could be resolved.  I guess that if at the deadline, the Suns don't have anything better, maybe they consider this.  Assuming Crowder would buy into a trade to the Celtics, I would do this trade.  I see Crowder as likely helping us win some playoff games, something Gallinari or Vonleh probably won't do this season.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 12:07:43 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 12:20:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't recall what Crowder's issues were with Boston when he left but it is a new regime now so maybe that could be resolved.

I think he was upset that pretty much everybody wanted to replace him with Gordon Hayward.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18404075/jae-crowder-disrespected-boston-celtics-fans-cheers-potential-free-agent-gordon-hayward

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 12:47:35 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I don't recall what Crowder's issues were with Boston when he left but it is a new regime now so maybe that could be resolved.

I think he was upset that pretty much everybody wanted to replace him with Gordon Hayward.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18404075/jae-crowder-disrespected-boston-celtics-fans-cheers-potential-free-agent-gordon-hayward

Yeah, OK, now I remember.  Crowder left Boston in a huff and now he is in a huff in PHO.  As I said, if Crowder is over it and willing to buy into a trade to Boston, I think he could help us.  If not, of course we don't trade for him.  Crowder had a right to be a little miffed by the crowd reaction to Hayward but I feel he over-reacted.  Same as the current situation in PHO.  This is why he is still sitting at home, probably getting himself in even more of a huff.  If this is the case, certainly not what this team needs right now.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 01:02:54 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

Yeah, OK, now I remember.  Crowder left Boston in a huff and now he is in a huff in PHO.  As I said, if Crowder is over it and willing to buy into a trade to Boston, I think he could help us.  If not, of course we don't trade for him.  Crowder had a right to be a little miffed by the crowd reaction to Hayward but I feel he over-reacted.  Same as the current situation in PHO.  This is why he is still sitting at home, probably getting himself in even more of a huff.  If this is the case, certainly not what this team needs right now.

I cant find the quote but I remember when a Cleveland reporter tried to bait Crowder into trashing the Celtics after the trade that brought him to the Cavs, Crowder actually took the high road saying that if he wasn't going to have a role in Boston, he appreciated Danny Ainge trading him to a good situation.

I'm no fan of Jae Crowder but that was a good look and if Stevens wants to consider bringing him back I think both sides could find common ground.