Author Topic: 2022 MLB Off Season  (Read 9761 times)

Re: 2022 MLB Off Season
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2022, 01:26:01 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Wow Bogaerts to the Padres 11/280. Didn’t see that coming. Padres determined to spend.

Yeesh. I like Xander, but that’s just a ridiculous contract for a 30 year old player who batted .307 with 15hrs and 73RBI. Henry better pay Devers. Otherwise, sell the team.

I agree that X's deal is way too many years and dollars, but at the same time, Boston's just letting every good player walk. They should've traded X during the season and gotten something for him. They also may as well trade Devers now, because there's no point having one stud bat in a lineup that's otherwise composed of young, unproven players and some vets who are okay-not-great hitters. The starting lineup, even with Devers, might not crack 100 home runs next season.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2022, 06:06:32 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Baseball needs a salary cap big time
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2022, 07:44:37 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Wow Bogaerts to the Padres 11/280. Didn’t see that coming. Padres determined to spend.

Yeah, OK, 11 years, bye bye.  I think Chaim was around 7/28 which is fair for a 30yo.  He has to get Devers extended.  I offer the Judge deal to Devers and see what happens.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2022, 07:49:35 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Baseball needs a salary cap big time

Kind of like the NHL though, a Max and a Min spend.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2022, 08:58:11 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
WOW, 280M?? Insane. Good for Bogey though.

While I personally wouldn't have done 11/280M, I still blame the Sox for even letting this get to FA and not trying to actively work things out before. Even according to some reports this morning, it sounds like they only went as far as 6/160M (lol) so a "huge gap". Obviously X was not going to come back for 120M less.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2022, 09:00:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm pretty much on the cusp of becoming a fair weather fan.  The Sox are the 3rd most valuable team in baseball, they basically print money, but the team is managed like a poorly-run small market team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2022, 09:03:59 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
WOW, 280M?? Insane. Good for Bogey though.

While I personally wouldn't have done 11/280M, I still blame the Sox for even letting this get to FA and not trying to actively work things out before. Even according to some reports this morning, it sounds like they only went as far as 6/160M (lol) so a "huge gap". Obviously X was not going to come back for 120M less.

I will add though, if Devers isn't locked up during the next few months I think he's as good as gone too. We're seeing a pattern develop. The Sox seem behind in all these negotiations. If a market says he's worth 200M, they offer just 100M. If 300M, they'll offer around 200M. Teams like the Braves, Angels, etc. are actively getting on top of their own FAs and locking them down. The Sox seem to wait and then lose guys in FA (Lester, Bogaerts; Betts was traded but still...)

I do think if they offered Bogaerts say, 6/175M or 7/190M before this offseason or during last season, he would have taken it. They gambled with the market and all it takes is one team

The rumor was Devers was offered around 8/168M by the Sox last year and the market seems to indicate he's worth 300M+. So again, the Sox are behind

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2022, 11:08:29 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I'm pretty much on the cusp of becoming a fair weather fan.  The Sox are the 3rd most valuable team in baseball, they basically print money, but the team is managed like a poorly-run small market team.

That's where I've been for a few years now, to be totally honest.  Ever since the Mookie trade.  Enjoyed the random ALCS run for what it was, but I don't love the Red Sox like I do the Celtics and it never brought me the same high that a really good Celtics run does. 

They keep losing my favorite players thanks entirely to poor management and misallocation of resources, they don't appear to have a cohesive plan, and I'm not willing to emotionally invest in that anymore.  I fully expect Devers to be the next out the door for near-nothing. 

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2022, 11:46:43 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I’m confused by some of the comments here.

1) Why would Xander (or Devers) sign with the Red Sox prior to FA? Boegarts just got a ridiculous deal. He was right to go to FA.

2) Why would the Red Sox offer a 30 year old an 11 year deal when his defensive skills have already started to dip? He will likely be a 3B/DH soon.

3) Why would the Sox win the Yoshida sweepstakes if they don’t spend money or are cheap?

I think this is a good non-sign. I love Devers too, but he isn’t Judge. If a team wants to pay him $40m for 10 years, cya!

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2022, 12:48:16 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Haven’t most of us become fair weather baseball fans? Baseball is really slow and there are too many regular season games. I really like the Sox but watched less than 10 complete games from beginning to end last year. I have no problems doing this with the Patriots, and seem to watch more of the Celtics and Bruins.

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2023, 01:16:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip