Author Topic: 07.31.07 - Where Were You?  (Read 5194 times)

07.31.07 - Where Were You?
« on: December 31, 2022, 07:38:05 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
...when you heard the news, KG was coming to town

https://youtu.be/T6TnilbMphA
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 07:44:35 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: 07.31.07 - Where Were You?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 07:48:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I found out it was a done deal a bit before it was reported.  I was desperately trying to place an online bet before news broke, but I didn’t have any luck because I was using a government computer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 08:01:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
At work.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 08:49:45 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I was at my parents visiting and my brother had been visiting the same day. We were watching in awe. I couldn’t believe it was happening. I still had a defensive pessimism thing going on like” we’re gonna need more “ . Then when they signed Posey I felt were gonna be favorites. The. I was in my cart and heard the Eddie House signing and knowing how fast he shoots I was really excited. My only letdown that year ( but all turned out great) was having Reggie Miller hop on . Even if he was just mostly a locker room guy. I always appreciated Reggie Miller’s respect snd admiration for Larry and the whole Celtic tradition. But it seemed he changed his mind out of respect for the Pacers.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 01:55:18 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I found out it was a done deal a bit before it was reported.  I was desperately trying to place an online bet before news broke, but I didn’t have any luck because I was using a government computer.

Didn’t they go from like 75-1 to 8-1 immediately? Anyone who managed to get bets in as soon as it was leaked (different era with social media, but it still came out as rumored before official) made out like bandits.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 02:01:15 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I don't recall the KG news, but I recall the Ray Allen news. KG I probably was at home refreshing daily news stories to see what was next. But Ray Allen for me came out of nowhere so that one I recall where I was, eating in a restaurant.

As I've said before, I've always felt that if Ray Allen got paired with Pierce they would win a Championship... of course being a precursor to briging KG helped!

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 10:48:13 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I think I caught it at home that night checking out sports news.  I couldn’t sleep .  First I thought I had heard it wrong.

I was dealing with my mother passing , I was bummed in a funk.  But this was what I needed to rescue me emotionally .

It was like Xmas .   I watched all those wolfs game just to see KG …most complete basketball player to ever take the court and he roared like a lion .  Never took a play off.

He was my all time favorite player  ever…and now he was on the Celtics my favorite team.

I knew it would work out .  Life was good again.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 10:56:44 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 10:51:04 AM »

Online PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

God, I love that commercial so much.

I was working the register at my friend’s restaurant. We both found out and started going nuts with the line out the door.

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2023, 11:03:32 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Didn’t they go from like 75-1 to 8-1 immediately? Anyone who managed to get bets in as soon as it was leaked (different era with social media, but it still came out as rumored before official) made out like bandits.

Haha.  Yep.  And not everybody had a smart phone.  By the time I got home, they had taken betting on the Celtics off of the board.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2023, 04:09:54 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I’ll never forget it, I was on a cruise with my family, literally in the middle of the ocean when it happened. I was 14 years old, and I remember my dad and I were constantly trying to refresh the ship’s slow computers to get confirmation that it was done. He definitely paid for the extra WiFi minutes. I know I was on this site for sure. It was the first time in my life I felt like I could see the Celtics win a championship, and what a magical season it ended up being.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler