Author Topic: Trade Idea: Celtics Balance Roster  (Read 1463 times)

Trade Idea: Celtics Balance Roster
« on: December 30, 2022, 08:13:10 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I want to preface this (hypothetical) trade with the statement that I understand Brad Stevens would never do this trade, as there is too much risk involved.

—————————

Celtics: Gordon Hayward, Zach Collins, Jalen Smith, Nuggets (via Hornets) 2023 - Round 1 Pick

Hornets: Derrick White, Noah Vonleh, Blake Griffin (cut)

Pacers: Grant Williams

Spurs: Sam Hauser, Danilo Gallinari, Spurs (via Pacers, Celtics) 2023 - Round 2 Pick, Orlando (via Celtics) 2023 - Round 2 Pick

—————————

Boston Celtics

Depth Chart

PG Smart, Prichard, Davison

SG Brown, Brogdon, Jackson

SF Tatum, Hayward, Samanic (TW)

PF Horford, Collins, Kabengele (TW)

C  Williams III, Smith, Kornet
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 09:31:36 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Trade Idea: Celtics Balance Roster
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2022, 08:21:40 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
As much as I want to see Hayward eventually rejoin and retire as a Celtic, he’s making too much right now. And I very much like the idea of bringing in Zach Collins.

But D-White is one of those pivotal 6th/7th mans who does all the little things—almost all championship squads have a guy like him, so I’d hate to risk losing that (although perhaps Hayward fulfills that role, perhaps get gets injured too?). I’ve always been a big fan of Grant, and I’m growing fond of Hauser too.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2022, 08:29:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Since Hayward and Collins are likely to be injured at playoff time, my guess is that this trade would actively make us worse.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2022, 08:53:45 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
As much as I want to see Hayward eventually rejoin and retire as a Celtic, he’s making too much right now. And I very much like the idea of bringing in Zach Collins.

But D-White is one of those pivotal 6th/7th mans who does all the little things—almost all championship squads have a guy like him, so I’d hate to risk losing that (although perhaps Hayward fulfills that role, perhaps get gets injured too?). I’ve always been a big fan of Grant, and I’m growing fond of Hauser too.

In all honesty, I am actually pretty proud of this trade concept. This trade helps every franchise involved, in very specialized ways.

For the Hornets, it helps them get off Hayward's contract and with their much needed rebuilding efforts. They are also in the process of re-signing Miles Bridges, so Hayward isn't needed in the future. Derrick White is the PERFECT backcourt sidekick for LaMelo Ball, providing defensive versatility, playmaking, shooting and unselfish leadership.

The Pacers bring in Grant Williams with the prearranged understanding of a huge restricted free agent contract in the off-season. Apparently the Pacers want to re-sign Myles Turner, and Williams is a fantastic front court partner for his skill set. With Williams floor spacing, Haliburton can actually improve on his current form.

The Spurs receive essentially two (almost) first round picks for a free agent signing in Zach Collins, along with Sam Hauser, whom still has a lot of untapped potential.

I apologize for my tangent haha

The Boston Celtics achilles heel this season is offensive output when either Jays aren't putting up 22-30 points per game. Derrick White although defensively needed, isn't the answer on offence. Every time the Celtics have needed White to step up his scoring, he's wilted. Although Hayward is over payed and injury prone, his offensive versatility would be huge for us this season. Very much like Brogdon, as long as you keep Hayward's minutes restricted, IMO he will hold up. Going forward, Horford's contract drops off significantly next season, so the Celtics should have no problem absorbing Hayward's final year of that albatross contract.

Zach Collins and Jalen Smith are fantastic back up options for Horford and Williams III, especially considering they have similar skillsets.

The Celtics also get the Nuggets 1st round pick in a deep 2023 draft.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 09:20:57 PM by Ed Monix »

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2022, 09:05:10 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Since Hayward and Collins are likely to be injured at playoff time, my guess is that this trade would actively make us worse.

Collins has missed 11 games this season for an intentionally tanking Spurs team, Horford has missed 9.

Hayward is averaging 33 minutes for the Hornets, with a lot of offensive responsibilities, because of LaMelo missing significant time. Playing for the Celtics, his minutes would come WAY down, along with sharing the bench scoring with Brogdon. Hayward's most recent injury seems to have been caused by the Hornets misdiagnosing his pain.

For Hayward, Collins & Brogdon, minutes restrictions are the key.

Last season, while starting for the Pacers, Brogdon averaging 33.5 minutes a game and only played 36 games (total). This season off the bench for the Celtics, he's already played 30, while averaging 23.5 minutes.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 09:32:46 PM by Ed Monix »

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2022, 09:42:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Collins has missed 11 games this season for an intentionally tanking Spurs team, Horford has missed 9.

Hayward is averaging 33 minutes for the Hornets, with a lot of offensive responsibilities, because of LaMelo missing significant time. Playing for the Celtics, his minutes would come WAY down, along with sharing the bench scoring with Brogdon. Hayward's most recent injury seems to have been caused by the Hornets misdiagnosing his pain.

For Hayward, Collins & Brogdon, minutes restrictions are the key.

Last season, while starting for the Pacers, Brogdon averaging 33.5 minutes a game and only played 36 games (total). This season off the bench for the Celtics, he's already played 30, while averaging 23.5 minutes.

In the last four seasons, Collins has played a combined 63 games.  I'm not sure that that's something a minutes restriction is going to fix.  It's the same thing,  to a lesser extent, with Hayward.  He's missed roughly 35 games per season over the past several years.

Teams can't rely upon guys like that.  Trading Williams and White for fragile players would hurt us.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2022, 10:00:12 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I mean this nicely, but it’s an awful trade on many levels.  It makes us worse this year, worse next year, and has a huge financial cost.  There are some clear chemistry issues with Hayward, injury issues with Hayward and Collins… I just don’t get this idea at all, other than some people are obsessed with having enough “bigs”, despite the fact that Tatum has shown he’s completely capable of being an NBA PF this year when needed.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2022, 11:02:05 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
DWhite and Gwill have been major contributors for the Celtics this year. The Celtics have the best record in the NBA as of this moment. I would be very wary of trading both of them this season. And I don’t think having Hayward, ZCollins, and Jaylen Smith makes us a better team.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 11:13:00 PM by radiohead »

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 11:04:15 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20

I think that white is a very key player for the Celtics. They need his speed and pacing and he is a pesky defender who doesn't back down from anyone. Tatum and Brown need a very fast guard to space the floor for themselves and it is no mistake that White is in the starting lineup. Hayward right now is totally redundant to Tatum and doesn't have the muscle that Grant Williams has. Team balance says this is a bad trade.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2022, 09:17:15 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Picks aside so it's

White, Grant, Hauser, Griffin, Vonleh and Gallo
for
Collins, Smith, and Hayward.

That's a bad trade as far as talent and player PR. Hayward is a no show late year and Collins is suspect health wise as well. White, Blake and Vonleh are more dependable.

Grant for Smith is an even trade but why would Pacers do that deal. Smith is younger and locked up makes little sense for them to deal for Grant. Also Grant understands his role here and the scheme as contenders you need that especially against Bucks, Sixers, Cavs, or Raps come playoffs. Smith is a long term player we honestly should have signed over Gallo and had the whole year to integrate. Smith is going to be solid, Grant already is solid.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2022, 10:02:30 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Hayward is not the borderline All Star anymore like he was. He's almost 33.
Right now White is easily the best player in that deal. No reason to entertain this.

The Celtics have basically six starting options in Smart, White, Brown, Tatum, Horford and Timelord (when healthy).
Plus an offense engine on the bench in Brogdon. I wouldn't trade any of these guys unless we got a high quality starter with defensive tools and longetivity (say O.G. Anunoby or Jarrett Allen) or an All Star caliber in return.

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2022, 10:03:17 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
There seems to be a lot of weird activity here that is unnecessary. Adding Hayward into this creates a huge mess.

At the core of this is Grant Williams and Jalen Smith. I think Smith is going to be a nice player. He probably will end up being a better player than Grant, but I'm not sure what else you'd have to throw in to get him, and it might take a couple of years before it paid off.

You could also argue separately for a Zach Collins trade, but I'm not sure we need another fragile big. If we could get Collins cheap(and we might be able to), then sure, let's get him. No way we should give up White for any of this, though.