Author Topic: 5 NBA Trades I Can See Happening Before The Deadline  (Read 1946 times)

5 NBA Trades I Can See Happening Before The Deadline
« on: December 29, 2022, 04:59:26 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Trade #1

Dallas gets: Bojan Bogdanovic, Nerlens Noel, and Rodney McGruder
Detroit gets: Josh Green, Dorian Finney-Smith, Dwight Powell, JaVale McGee, and a 2024 1st round pick (unprotected)

Why for Dallas: The Mavs need to do everything in their power to keep Luka Doncic. The team around him just isn't good enough, and they need to make a move. I think this is probably the best they can do given the assets they have. BB is having a career year, and would fit like a glove next to Luka in the Mavericks offense. With the west seemingly wide open, I think this trade would give the Mavs a fighting chance to get to the finals.

Why for Detroit: With Cunningham out for the season, the Pistons have only one goal: Lose as many games as possible. In this trade, they get a good young player in Green, a 1st round pick, a solid vet in Finney-Smith, and they shed salary. Not a bad haul for a guy they barely gave up anything for a couple months ago.

Trade #2

New Orleans gets: Jordan Clarkson
Utah gets: Dyson Daniels, Devonte Graham, and a 2024 1st round pick.

Why for New Orleans: This is a swing I think the Pelicans can afford to take given that they have more draft capital than any team in then league not named the Thunder. They are one of the most interesting buyers on the market - funny considering things in New Orleans were all doom and gloom just a year ago. Clarkson is having a career year statistically, and seems to have really improved his play-making. He has a player option next year, so it may be difficult for New Orleans to keep him, but not impossible.

Why for Utah: Utah was a fun team to start the season, but I think their early success was just a flash in the pan. Come the deadline, Danny's going to get as much as he can for guys like Clarkson, Beasley, Conley, Olynyk...Daniels (who just seems like a Danny Ainge player) and a pick for Clarkson wouldn't be a bad place to start, even if they do have to take on Grahams 3 year deal.

Trade #3

Indiana gets: Kyle Kuzma & Taj Gibson
Washington gets: Chris Duarte, Jalen Smith, Daniel Theis, and a 2025 1st round pick

Why for Indiana: I don't think Indy is a sneaky good team who has a chance to make some actual noise in the playoffs. Going in to the season, I thought they'd be one of the worst teams in the league, but I think they really have something with Haliburton and Mathurin, and should add to that. Kuzma is a borderline Allstar, and would make an excellent addition as a 2nd/3rd scoring option. He'll be expensive to retain in the offseason, but I think the relatively low risk is worth it.

Why for Washington: Washington seems stuck in perpetual medicority, and I think they just need to humble themselves and fully suck for a while - They should consider trading Beal and Porzingiz as well.

Trade #4

Miami gets: John Collins
Atlanta gets: Caleb Martin, Duncan Robinson, and a 2023 1st rounder.

Why for Miami: Miamis currently a .500 team. I think everyone knows they're better than that, but everyone also knows that a lot of good teams in the east have surpassed them. I think they need to make a move at the deadline and get some momentum heading in to the play-offs. Colins is having the worst year of his career, but I think it can be chalked up to being disgruntled after being in trade rumors for, like, 3 years. I still think he's a really good player, and would be an ideal fir next to Bam and Butler.

Why for Atlanta: Atlanta needs a change. It's obvious. I don't think they're ready to trade Trae Young (Yet), so Collins is probably the most likely to go. While this isn't some glamorous return for Collins, I think it actually makes them better by getting a tough 3/D guy who can play the four, and one of the best shooters in the NBA in Duncan Robinson - shooting has been a massive problem for them this year

Trade #5

New York gets: Zach LaVine, Goran Dragic, and Marko Simonovic
Chicago gets: Quentin Grimes, Cam Reddish, Derrick Rose, Evan Fournier, and a future 1st rounder.

Why for New York: After losing the Donovan Mitchell sweepstakes, LaVine may not be the worst option B, especially if you're giving up 3 guys with big contracts who barely play. LaVine isn't exactly what I think of when I think 'Tom Thibodeau" player, but there is no denying his talent - and team with good guards/wings win in todays NBA, simple as that. Brunson/LaVine/Barrett/Randle is an impressive and athletically imposing 1-4.

Why for Chicago: The DeRozan signing didn't work out. The Vucevic trade REALLY didn't work out. You've made your moves, now it's time to burn it down and start over. Also... Long overdue Derrick Rose reunion.

*Bonus Celtics trade*

Boston gets: Saddiq Bey
Detroit gets: Payton Pritchard, Houston 2nd rounder 2023

Why for Boston: Bey pretty much does everything the Celtics coaching staff likes: He can switch on D, stretch the floor, and plays hard. I've been a fan of his since I was begging Danny to draft him in 2020. I was actually surprised to hear that Detroit was shopping him. This is a good option for the Celtics because he doesn't make very much money so it would be easy to match salaries; and he may be a potential Grant replacement down the line.

Why for Detroit: Killian Hayes is probably going to be suspended a good amount of games for clocking Mo Wagner. I think Pritchard is totally capable of stepping in, putting up like 16/5/3, and showing he belongs in the NBA.

Re: 5 NBA Trades I Can See Happening Before The Deadline
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 05:22:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Duarte, Smith and a #1 for Kuzma?  I think that's pretty steep for a guy who doesn't seem to fit in anywhere.

And, I would hope that Miami would have to give up more than a #1 to shed Robinson's contract and acquire a good PF.

I'm all-in on the Bey trade.  I'd give up our Portland #2, as well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 06:08:57 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Duarte, Smith and a #1 for Kuzma?  I think that's pretty steep for a guy who doesn't seem to fit in anywhere.

And, I would hope that Miami would have to give up more than a #1 to shed Robinson's contract and acquire a good PF.

I'm all-in on the Bey trade.  I'd give up our Portland #2, as well.
   Me too. I’d be pretty excited for the Celtics to add another impactful player. I’m for all in this year. Overpay if we have to.

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 06:14:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Not feeling any of those.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 06:27:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
5 trades and none of them involved Crowder?

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 08:23:41 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
5 trades and none of them involved Crowder?
What’s the value of a bench player who is holding out on a contender because he isn’t starting? He’s got zero value to any team right now.

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 08:48:55 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I like Bey, though I must admit I thought his three point percentage was higher.

Are they looking to move him? Not sure why you would halfway through year three when you're a bottom-feeding team and he's a decently nice fit alongside Cunningham and Ivey.

I'd probably do that trade, though, given we have all three of Smart, White, and Brogdon and need one more wing/swing.

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2022, 10:03:31 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I suspect the Heat will get Crowder. Something like D. Robinson + 2023 first for Crowder + Saric.

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2022, 02:46:07 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Love the Bey trade on our part! His 3P% is down this season, but his 2P% is up, which likely means he's making gradual improvements as a shot a creator. A few games of below average 3P% are probably a fluke, especially since he's a consistent +80% shooter from the FT line throughout his career. More often than not, FT% is indicative of shooting ability. I'd expect him to average a TS% of around 60 if he were playing for the C's. I would also be starting him at the 3, at least till Timelord is ready to play big minutes.

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 07:52:38 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
The Duncan Robinson contract has negative value. A first will need to be attached to his contract just to move him in a salary dump. Any upgrade trade will need to involve at least another first depending on the player coming back.

I wonder if ATL would trade Young and Collins to MN for KAT and Russell.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 04:00:54 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I believe that Bradley Beal may be traded to the Lakers by the Washington Wizards. The Wizards may be looking to rebuild their team, and trading Beal could allow them to acquire draft picks and potentially rebuild around a player like Victor Wembanyama.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10060181-lakers-rumors-la-saving-coveted-draft-picks-for-superstar-trade-bradley-beal-linked
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2022, 04:41:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I believe that Bradley Beal may be traded to the Lakers by the Washington Wizards. The Wizards may be looking to rebuild their team, and trading Beal could allow them to acquire draft picks and potentially rebuild around a player like Victor Wembanyama.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10060181-lakers-rumors-la-saving-coveted-draft-picks-for-superstar-trade-bradley-beal-linked

I have a hard time believing that rumor. The Wizards can do far better than whatever the Lakers can possibly offer.

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2022, 04:45:40 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

What kind of Laker fanboi fantasy fiction is that?!? Highly coveted 2027 & 2029 first round picks? Lol. The Lakers don’t own their 1st round pick until 2026. It’s more likely Victor Wembanyama could be playing his 2nd All Star game for the Pelicans by then.

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2022, 04:47:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I have a hard time believing that rumor. The Wizards can do far better than whatever the Lakers can possibly offer.
agreed.  Lakers have nothing to offer. 

wizards could get much better assets from houston or OKC in terms of picks

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2022, 05:16:58 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158

What kind of Laker fanboi fantasy fiction is that?!? Highly coveted 2027 & 2029 first round picks? Lol. The Lakers don’t own their 1st round pick until 2026. It’s more likely Victor Wembanyama could be playing his 2nd All Star game for the Pelicans by then.

The Lakers have the ability to provide a salary cap-clearing deal by including Westbrook, as well as draft picks and the possibility for the Wizards to potentially acquire Wembanyama with their own draft selection.

This potential trade may occur due to the large contract that Beal holds. It seems that the Wizards are looking to rebuild and the signing of Beal was likely for the purpose of trading him for assets, rather than keeping him on the team.
The only color that matters is GREEN