Author Topic: Rumor: Pritchard Drawing Trade Interest  (Read 4702 times)

Re: Rumor: Pritchard Drawing Trade Interest
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2022, 09:23:57 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Just remember what Joni Mitchell said way back in the day...."you don't know what you got until it's gone"! 
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2022, 10:10:32 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Seems to me the only long term need is we could use one more athletic young big that can defend.

I'm not totally sold on the need for another big, because they've got a full center rotation (Rob/Horford/Kornet/Gallo) already under contract for next season, and playing one center with Horford or Rob is a good way to keep their minutes down and them (hopefully) healthy. A regular-season wing who can help spell the Jays and/or make giving them nights off more viable would be at least as useful as a fourth/fifth center. A first or a pile of seconds would also help going forward.

Pritchard's too good to not play at all. However, he's in a position where he only really sees the court in the playoffs in two of Smart/Brogdon/White are hurt at this same time, in which case Boston has bigger problems. There's likely a handful of veterans out there who can fill a break glass in case of emergency role.

I wouldn't mind sending him somewhere where he can audition for a rookie extension this summer. Keep in mind Boston's messing with his money at this point, so "Payton Pritchard, team player and good sport" may have an expiration date.

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2022, 11:31:00 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Send him to the West not named the Warriors or Lakers and I'll be fine

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2022, 11:37:00 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don’t see the need to trade him this season.  I don’t think he’s going to bring back a player who will make our rotation and he may be able to help this team towards a championship.  After this season, I’d be interested in trading him for a pick as I think Davison can be our third string point guard next year.

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2022, 11:55:46 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I don’t see the need to trade him this season.  I don’t think he’s going to bring back a player who will make our rotation and he may be able to help this team towards a championship.  After this season, I’d be interested in trading him for a pick as I think Davison can be our third string point guard next year.

If we are all in for the chip, we should only trade him for a vet who could help us more this year. I still haven’t heard a realistic deal proposed that would do that so I’d hold on. Maybe it makes sense to move him next year if JD is progressing as hoped, or if another player who could help us more becomes available.

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2022, 12:04:49 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
As long as the Celtics are healthy, they don't need to make a trade.   

The Celtics should wait.   If something happens to one of the rotation members that is long term, it is better to have to pieces ready to try and cover it.   

Plus, he is not about to be a FA.   They have time to move him if they want to.

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2022, 12:05:37 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Seems to me the only long term need is we could use one more athletic young big that can defend.

I'm not totally sold on the need for another big, because they've got a full center rotation (Rob/Horford/Kornet/Gallo) already under contract for next season, and playing one center with Horford or Rob is a good way to keep their minutes down and them (hopefully) healthy. A regular-season wing who can help spell the Jays and/or make giving them nights off more viable would be at least as useful as a fourth/fifth center. A first or a pile of seconds would also help going forward.

Pritchard's too good to not play at all. However, he's in a position where he only really sees the court in the playoffs in two of Smart/Brogdon/White are hurt at this same time, in which case Boston has bigger problems. There's likely a handful of veterans out there who can fill a break glass in case of emergency role.

I wouldn't mind sending him somewhere where he can audition for a rookie extension this summer. Keep in mind Boston's messing with his money at this point, so "Payton Pritchard, team player and good sport" may have an expiration date.

I look at it this way; we can solve any wing depth with a rotation big.

Short term, it would be tough going into the playoffs with either RWill or Al out. Its OK regular season, but we will be competing against some teams with multiple talented bigs in the playoffs. That is the primary matchup vulnerability the team has, not at wing.

Longer term, Horford is aging and 4/5 is where the team is most vulnerable.

We have only so many assets. If Stevens is able to get one young athletic quality big that can defend, that's really the final piece to keep this team competing for titles for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2022, 12:53:11 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I love Pritchard but would trade him for the right deal. But what exactly would we be getting back? Are there any trade ideas?

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2022, 02:02:01 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Short term, it would be tough going into the playoffs with either RWill or Al out. Its OK regular season, but we will be competing against some teams with multiple talented bigs in the playoffs. That is the primary matchup vulnerability the team has, not at wing.

We have only so many assets. If Stevens is able to get one young athletic quality big that can defend, that's really the final piece to keep this team competing for titles for the foreseeable future.

If we could solve our long term big problem by including Pritchard in a deal I do see the upside. But when I look around trying to find the guy we could target, can’t find him. I asked Karalis that in his mailbag a couple weeks ago and he couldn’t think of anybody either.

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2022, 03:49:04 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

If we could solve our long term big problem by including Pritchard in a deal I do see the upside. But when I look around trying to find the guy we could target, can’t find him. I asked Karalis that in his mailbag a couple weeks ago and he couldn’t think of anybody either.

I don't know who could be gettable either, but we'd want a younger guy who shows athleticism defensive potential:

Ideal but probably not gettable:
Wendell Carter Jr.
Onyeka Okongwu
Jaden McDaniels
Jalen Smith

More likely:
Jax Hayes
Mark Williams
Mo Bamba
Jalen Duren
Jarred Vanderbilt

I can't say I've done a really deep dive on all of those guys, but you get the idea. There may be someone in the next draft. I trust Stevens to know it when he sees it, and the opportunity presents itself.

It might even be possible at some point to steal someone like Capela, though it would mean losing a rotation guy like White or Grant Williams and pick assets.

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2022, 04:41:09 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Pritchard and Kabengele for Gorgui Dieng and Isaiah Roby works. I'm not sure if I like this trade but it seems about what you'd get for Pritchard. Roby is a big wing and Dieng is a journeyman big.

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2022, 05:14:31 PM »

Online #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Jarred Vanderbilt and Naz Reid are good options moving forward. I see either one being seamless fits on the court with either Rob, Al, or playing the 5 on a bench unit, their salary matches without parting with a top 9 player, and the trade compensation is not out of our range.

Considering our guard quality and depth, and Udoka and, now, Mazzulla’s reluctance to give Pritchard minutes, it has to be considered. He’s obviously a rotation player (his advanced metrics show a large defensive improvement) and, as a young player, he's looking forward to playing and getting his next contract (whether it’s him or his rep). He barely got minutes when Smart and Brogdon were out!

I like having Pritchard on the team, Kornet and Blake have proven to be adequate in their role, have little to no urgency to get yet another big, and want to keep this team intact until the end of the season unless one of those 2 is available for Payton and a couple 2nds.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 06:54:13 PM by #1P4P »

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2022, 06:49:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Jarred Vanderbilt and Naz Reid several times are good options moving forward. I see either one being seamless fits on the court with either Rob, Al, or playing the 5 on a bench unit, their salary matches without parting with a top 9 player, and the trade compensation is not out of our range.

Considering our guard quality and depth, and Udoka and, now, Mazzulla’s reluctance to give Pritchard minutes, it has to be considered. He’s obviously a rotation player (his advanced metrics show a large defensive improvement) and, as a young player, he's looking forward to playing and getting his next contract (whether it’s him or his rep). He barely got minutes when Smart and Brogdon were out!

I like having Pritchard on the team, Kornet and Blake have proven to be adequate in their role, have little to no urgency to get yet another big, and want to keep this team intact until the end of the season unless one of those 2 is available for Payton and a couple 2nds.

I’d love either of those guys. I think Reid is a pending UFA so the cost might be a little lower, whereas I believe Vanderbilt is under contract for a couple more seasons.

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2022, 07:08:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Wonder if the Magic would consider trading Jonathan Isaac.  Assuming he can come back from his injuries, would be a great fit here as starting or back up power forward.

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2022, 07:33:27 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Wonder if the Magic would consider trading Jonathan Isaac.  Assuming he can come back from his injuries, would be a great fit here as starting or back up power forward.

Isn't he on a big contract?

Looks like 17 million a year.