Author Topic: Rumor: Pritchard Drawing Trade Interest  (Read 4700 times)

Rumor: Pritchard Drawing Trade Interest
« on: December 28, 2022, 02:00:55 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
According to reports from Steve Bulpett of Heavy.com, teams are making calls to see if Payton Prichard is available via trade.

Clubs have been investigating whether he might be worth pursuing in a trade (he makes $2.2 million this year and $4.0 million next).

”You’ve got to wonder about him defensively at that size (listed at 6-1), but he plays hard, he can really push the ball and he’s got a nice stroke from 3,” said one personnel man. “I like what I see, but it’s hard to say for sure if he could do more with a better opportunity. And first you have to ask if he’s better than what you have and if he’ll even get more of a look with your team. It’s hard to say, but I know I’m not the only team checking on him. It’s always natural in these situations.”

Steve Bulpett
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Rumor: Pritchard Drawing Trade Interest
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2022, 02:10:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not sure what we could get for him.  he provides a very solid 4th PG option behind Smart, White and Brogdon but if there's a team that needs a guard that can shoot that has an athetic PF to spare, it'd be worth kicking the tires on that kind of deal

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 02:36:46 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
If I had to guess, I'd say the source for this rumor is PP's agent. He has to want out at this point.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2022, 03:21:24 PM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
This is all great until Smart gets hurt from being ultra aggressive and Brogdon whose injury prone on past.

End of the season different story

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2022, 03:27:47 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
This is all great until Smart gets hurt from being ultra aggressive and Brogdon whose injury prone on past.

End of the season different story

Nah. Smart, Brogdon and D-White can all play point and the 2. Both JB and JT can play the 2/3 (4 in JT’s case), and Grant and Hauser can play the 3 (4 in Grant’s case). If we moved Pritchard and a pick for a quality big, we are actually much stronger since we are currently not balanced between our front-court and back-court depth, so moving Pritchard for a front-court guy restores that balance. If we did that and both Smart and Brogdon went down for some time and the other out for the season, there’s still some free agent PGs out there who could spell us 12 MPG until either Smart or Brogdon gets back (e.g., Eric Bledsoe, Mario Chalmers, Carsen Edwards—definitely stopgap guys, but keep in mind this is red-button-emergency scenario only). Of course, regardless of whether we retain Pritchard, if both Smart and Brogdon went down for the season, well, we’re not winning a title...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 03:38:12 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 04:07:20 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
And frankly, if we moved Pritchard and then had injuries to Smart and Brogdon, let’s start D-White and play Davison as the reserve. JD has shown flashes and I think he’ll possibly have a better career than Pritchard. Between JD Davison and Yam Madar, I think we’ve likely got the replacement for Pritchard. And Pritchard’s value is only going to diminish from here the further we get away from his two seasons where he played quite a bit.

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 04:17:22 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I like PP and hope he stays. Obviously if Cs send him in a package for a quality big it is worth considering (probably doing). I think Pritchard plays bigger than 6’1” on D (6’1.5” :)) as he plays with a lot of energy. He also is active on the glass for a small guard. If given a 25-30 mpg opportunity I would guess he’s a 14/3/5 guy who’ll shoot 38-40% from 3. Positive guy, hard worker.  I think with the right team he’ll be an asset.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 05:13:00 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
If you move Pritchard the only deals that make any sense are you trade him for a draft pick (bottom first round is probably his value) or you package him with Grant for whomever you identify to replace Grant long term, assuming you don't plan on paying beyond whatever he turned down previously.

Other than that keep PP as insurance. Personally I'd like to see him playing more consistently.  He can still help with his shooting and hustle.

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 05:45:28 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
If you move Pritchard the only deals that make any sense are you trade him for a draft pick (bottom first round is probably his value) or you package him with Grant for whomever you identify to replace Grant long term, assuming you don't plan on paying beyond whatever he turned down previously.

Other than that keep PP as insurance. Personally I'd like to see him playing more consistently.  He can still help with his shooting and hustle.

I think a wing who could get into our rotation is more useful than Pritchard.  I’d definitely do that before trading Pritchard for a pick.

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2022, 06:27:30 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Gallinari contract + PP might be able to get you a MLE type contract back. Think a solid big or a big wing would be very useful. This team lacks size.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2022, 10:03:28 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I love PP but it we can get a late first for him I'd make that move. It adds value and flexibility for us in the trade market (kind of crazy we own all our first rounders going forward aside from the swap to SAS in 2028).

Gallo's contract and PP for KO?

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2022, 04:53:59 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Our #1 need remains a quality backup center.

Trading Pritchard with other assets for that center is the only thing I would be willing to consider.
WE don't need more wings and Pritchard is likely a better player than a late 1st rounder would be.

I also really like Pritchard and he plays well when he gets consistent minutes.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2022, 04:54:04 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
We got 2 guys overseas and Davidson also..how many PGs we need?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2022, 07:01:57 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I love PP but it we can get a late first for him I'd make that move. It adds value and flexibility for us in the trade market (kind of crazy we own all our first rounders going forward aside from the swap to SAS in 2028).

Gallo's contract and PP for KO?

Is KO any better than Kornet? He’s definitely worse as a rim protector and I don’t think he’s as good a screener or roll man, or converting if he gets the ball at the rim. Yes, KO is a better shooter, but what else does he bring?

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2022, 08:58:39 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

I think a wing who could get into our rotation is more useful than Pritchard.  I’d definitely do that before trading Pritchard for a pick.

Why do you think that? Those minutes would come from Grant Williams or Sam Hauser who are both playing well. We also have the two best young wings in basketball and can get extra minutes by playing Tatum at power forward less.

Seems to me the only long term need is we could use one more athletic young big that can defend.