Author Topic: Rumor: Trae Young May Ask Out  (Read 3423 times)

Rumor: Trae Young May Ask Out
« on: December 22, 2022, 02:21:03 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Rival executives are of belief Hawks guard Trae Young could be next star player to request trade if team doesn’t make inroads come playoff time.

Chris Haynes

—————————

Source: Bleacher Report
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Rumor: Trae Young May Ask Out
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 02:24:02 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Given Trae Young’s lack of height, physical strength and Westbrook level stubbornness, I can’t come up with one team that would give up any significant assets for Trae (not to mention is exorbitant salary).
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 02:34:22 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Given Trae Young’s lack of height, physical strength and Westbrook level stubbornness, I can’t come up with one team that would give up any significant assets for Trae (not to mention is exorbitant salary).

It depends on what significant assets means.  I could see the Hawks getting three #1s for him.  A Donovan Mitchell-type haul is too much to ask for, but Young and Mitchell are the same tier of player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 02:38:48 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Funny—I first thought that Young asking out may have been in response to last night's Hawks loss to the Bulls, in which the Bulls had the last shot and threw up an airball that landed in the arms of a Hawk ... and bounced off his belly and was scooped up by a Chicago player for a buzzer-beating layup. :P It was a total Doh! moment.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 02:47:00 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Funny—I first thought that Young asking out may have been in response to last night's Hawks loss to the Bulls, in which the Bulls had the last shot and threw up an airball that landed in the arms of a Hawk ... and bounced off his belly and was scooped up by a Chicago player for a buzzer-beating layup. :P It was a total Doh! moment.

Trey Young for Zach Lavine.  Two fed up quasi-stars traded for one another.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2022, 03:04:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Nice. Win-win.

Dejounte Murray and Zach LaVine would be an awesome backcourt for Atlanta to build around. I prefer that to Trae and Dejounte who I do not like together.

Chicago gets a legit franchise star to build around in Trae Young. A flawed star, yes, but a star nonetheless. That is more than Zach LaVine offers who is more of a 2nd/3rd option type. And you cannot build around DeRozan. Big step forward for Chicago.

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2022, 03:17:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Nice. Win-win.

Dejounte Murray and Zach LaVine would be an awesome backcourt for Atlanta to build around. I prefer that to Trae and Dejounte who I do not like together.

Chicago gets a legit franchise star to build around in Trae Young. A flawed star, yes, but a star nonetheless. That is more than Zach LaVine offers who is more of a 2nd/3rd option type. And you cannot build around DeRozan. Big step forward for Chicago.
not a bad trade for either team.  I could see Atlanta wanting a little something extra thrown in and I would not be surprised if Derozan wanted out of Chicago thinking Young is going to eat into shot count

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2022, 04:56:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Can we make a run at Trae Young?

Package may start with Smart/White and a few firsts?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2022, 05:02:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Honestly, I'm not sure that I'd do Smart for Young, straight up.  Young is super explosive, but he's not necessarily a guy who wants to be the 2nd or 3rd option.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2022, 07:32:59 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

Honestly, I'm not sure that I'd do Smart for Young, straight up.  Young is super explosive, but he's not necessarily a guy who wants to be the 2nd or 3rd option.

This. It might be similar to Kemba’s first season with us as both are dominant scoring point guards who love pounding the rock. The difference now is JT and JB have emerged as legit All Star guys. I’m not sure how well Trae could mesh with our two stars.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2022, 08:25:44 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94

This. It might be similar to Kemba’s first season with us as both are dominant scoring point guards who love pounding the rock. The difference now is JT and JB have emerged as legit All Star guys. I’m not sure how well Trae could mesh with our two stars.

Trae is averaging nearly 10 assists per game, second best in the league, whereas Kemba’s career average is between 5-6, so very different situation. One concern with Young is his 3P% this year. Dude was supposed to be the second coming of Curry and most certainly is not, at least not if he continues doing what he’s doing in Hotlanta.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2022, 10:08:51 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Travis Schlemk moving to an Advisor role was a foreshadowing. Those types of moves are signals of discontent/disconnect.

They went to the 2021 ECF and must’ve had high expectations, internally, especially after the Murray move. They have a deep, versatile roster from top to bottom and should be closer to Cleveland than the Bulls.

I checked Trae’s USG where he’s top 5 and compared him to Ja, who has a higher USG, similar TS%, and a comparable roster; except the Grizzlies are 9 games above .500 with him in the lineup, while the Hawks are 1 game below with Trae. There are chemistry issues on the Hawks and that will crater a team as much as a poor roster.

If Trae rather ask out than try to make it work after he pushed for the Murray addition and got it only 30 games in, that’s a red flag. I’d consider trading him for the right package, the question is what is the right package?

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 10:46:13 PM »

Offline testy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
Atlanta gets: M Smart ,  A Holford , D White and 2 firsts

Boston gets: J Collins, T Young

Money matches and takes of Atlantas need for peace with an improved roster. Al gets to go home and get his# retired

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2022, 09:50:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Trae is averaging nearly 10 assists per game, second best in the league, whereas Kemba’s career average is between 5-6, so very different situation. One concern with Young is his 3P% this year. Dude was supposed to be the second coming of Curry and most certainly is not, at least not if he continues doing what he’s doing in Hotlanta.
but he is incredibly ball dominant.  he isn't someone like Chris Paul getting assists.  Young needs the offense to run through him to be successful, which means he'd be taking a lot of touches from Tatum, which isn't good. 

Collins is the guy reasonably available that would make sense to go after.  If it was basically White and some filler (perhaps a draft pick), then I think that makes a lot of sense.  Collins for White, Kornet, Jackson, 2025 1st (top 4), and cash.   Value wise that makes some deal of sense, but I don't think White really makes sense for Atlanta without them making other moves (they'd already have Young, Murray, Bogdanovic, Hunter, Okongwu, Holiday, Holiday, and young guys on the wing

Maybe a 3 team trade
Boston - Collins, Bitadze, Kaminsky
Indiana - White, Gallinari, Krejci
Atlanta - Turner, Kornet, Jackson, Boston's 23 1st from Indiana, Boston 25 1st (top 4)

That seems like a fairly reasonable trade for all 3 teams and makes some level of sense.  Boston gets a lot more size and a bit better roster construction (as well as expiring contracts that equal Gallinari, making future trades a bit easier).  Atlanta gets a Collins replacement that is expiring as well as a couple of 1st's.  Indiana gets some quality young guys on reasonable longer term contracts that fit a bit better with their long term roster construction.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2022, 10:21:57 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I would not trade away Young if I were the Hawks unless deal is as good or better than  Gorbert/Mitchell deals. Young has star power.