Author Topic: Avatar: Way of the Water  (Read 3505 times)

« on: December 17, 2022, 09:09:12 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
So I went to it in IMAX 3D and it basically felt like I watched cutscenes from a video game for over three hours. I liked the first one, but not really this sequel. Hopefully James Cameron is not going to waste the rest of his professional career on this series and instead make a couple other masterpieces before calling it quits.

What did the rest of you think of it? What do you think of this horrific idea of making three more movies in the series? By the way, they’ve almost completed the third one (my guess is that it will be the end and they’ve held off on finishing it in case it needs to be the end, such as a scenario where Way of the Water is nowhere near successful as the original).

Re: Avatar: Way of the Water
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 09:22:30 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
BTW, the best part of the experience was seeing the trailer for Oppenheimer (2023), Nolan’s next feature, and a demonstration of Tom Cruise’s bike-off-a-cliff stunt in the upcoming Mission: Impossible. Truly an indictment of Avatar: Way of the Waiting (For It to Finally End) 🤷‍♂️

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 09:33:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've seen a lot of really negative reviews.  I've heard that it's basically three hours of very pretty pictures, where at the end everything is pretty much in the same place as when it started.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 09:39:01 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
My in laws saw it and liked it. Said it didn't feel like 3 hours and was enjoyable.  I haven't gone to the theater on like 6 years and this won't be the movie that ends that streak.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 09:45:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
My in laws saw it and liked it. Said it didn't feel like 3 hours and was enjoyable.  I haven't gone to the theater on like 6 years and this won't be the movie that ends that streak.

Why not? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 10:07:22 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Why not?
young kids and then covid.  My next movie will probably be something like Frozen 3, that I take my kids to.  I think it was Wonder Woman so 5 years or so and before that it had been like 2 years and was one of the Marvel movies.  Wife and I used to go a lot more often, but kids just changed that
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 10:11:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why not?
young kids and then covid.  My next movie will probably be something like Frozen 3, that I take my kids to.  I think it was Wonder Woman so 5 years or so and before that it had been like 2 years and was one of the Marvel movies.  Wife and I used to go a lot more often, but kids just changed that

That's fair.  My wife and I haven't gone to the movies in ages.  I usually end up taking the kids to whatever Disney movie comes out, and they're starting to like Marvel.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 10:17:18 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I've seen a lot of really negative reviews.  I've heard that it's basically three hours of very pretty pictures, where at the end everything is pretty much in the same place as when it started.

I think people really wanted to hate on the movie regardless of its quality. Calling it a video game is pretty much an insult to the care people went into it. It's pretty sad that years of hard work can be torn down just by people demeaning it.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2022, 12:27:34 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

I think people really wanted to hate on the movie regardless of its quality. Calling it a video game is pretty much an insult to the care people went into it. It's pretty sad that years of hard work can be torn down just by people demeaning it.

people can work years on their art but they are in no way guaranteed to have a positive response.  If someone didn’t like it, they didn’t like it.  Just because people work years on something doesn’t mean it is good. 

I loved the first film, it was groundbreaking, and had a great story.  I have looked forward to the new one for a while now, but from the trailers it looks like they just did a retread for the story though.  That seems the most disappointing thing to me

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 12:46:39 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

people can work years on their art but they are in no way guaranteed to have a positive response.  If someone didn’t like it, they didn’t like it.  Just because people work years on something doesn’t mean it is good. 

The point is you can express yourself more than just "it looks like a video game lol" it sounds childish and quite honestly shallow.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2022, 03:14:32 AM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

The point is you can express yourself more than just "it looks like a video game lol" it sounds childish and quite honestly shallow.

I know what you mean and I wish people did take that into consideration more.  I am a musician, and I work months and years sometimes on new music  that I put out, so I am used to maybe a non-sensitive reaction to artistic endeavors.  Heck even my family and friends don't understand how much work it is.  But they only care about the result, does it interest them, does it move them, did they like it in whatever limited way they are evaluating it.

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2022, 05:47:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The inspiration / motivation for this franchise have been cringeworthy, at best, so I have no real interest. The first one was not memorable whatsoever
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2022, 07:11:37 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Didn’t like the first one so won’t watch the second until it come on cable
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 09:39:39 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

This Camerons burner account?
ok fine

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 01:55:07 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Avatar reportedly isn’t meeting expectations, despite a projected $130 million domestic box office.  It’s crazy how much the “spectacle” movies cost.