Author Topic: Jaylen and his Anti-Semitic Friends (split)  (Read 12820 times)

Re: Jaylen and his Anti-Semitic Friends (split)
« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2022, 12:43:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
I remember fans booing the pick when he got drafted. Wyc said it’s the most negative reaction to a pick he can remember.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/06/04/jaylen-brown-protests-stats-commentary/

From the article:

Fans — perhaps you among them — booed the pick when it was announced at a party for season ticket-holders. Owner Wyc Grousbeck, who before the draft had promised “fireworks,” was booed when he addressed fans about the pick. “Fourteen years [as an owner], that’s probably the worst [reaction] I’ve gotten,” Grousbeck said at the time. “But I’ll view this as people really care.”

From my recollection, the majority of people wanted that pick moved for Jimmy Butler.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2022, 12:44:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I remember fans booing the pick when he got drafted. Wyc said it’s the most negative reaction to a pick he can remember.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2020/06/04/jaylen-brown-protests-stats-commentary/

From the article:

Fans — perhaps you among them — booed the pick when it was announced at a party for season ticket-holders. Owner Wyc Grousbeck, who before the draft had promised “fireworks,” was booed when he addressed fans about the pick. “Fourteen years [as an owner], that’s probably the worst [reaction] I’ve gotten,” Grousbeck said at the time. “But I’ll view this as people really care.”

Ah.  This was from the draft party?  Were the season ticket holders booing Jaylen, or the fact that we didn't trade the pick when fans were promised fireworks?  That fireworks quip was one of the dumbest I've ever seen from a front office / owner.

EDIT:  Here's how MassLive described it:

Boston Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck was met with boos Thursday night when he announced the team's No. 3 overall draft pick, former California wing Jaylen Brown.

Some fans assembled at TD Garden for the Celtics draft event even chanted "we want Jimmy Butler" as Grousbeck stood at the podium to discuss the selection. Boston was linked in trade rumors about potentially acquiring Butler from the Chicago Bulls until minutes before the draft, and fans were disappointed a deal was not reached.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2016/06/boston_celtics_fans_not_happy.html

I think in context, fans were booing Wyc and management, rather than booing JB.  It's too bad that that led to Jaylen feeling unwelcome, but I can understand his feelings.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 12:53:07 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2022, 12:54:29 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

From the article:

Ah.  This was from the draft party?  Were the season ticket holders booing Jaylen, or the fact that we didn't trade the pick when fans were promised fireworks?  That fireworks quip was one of the dumbest I've ever seen from a front office / owner.

Boston Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck was met with boos Thursday night when he announced the team's No. 3 overall draft pick, former California wing Jaylen Brown.

Some fans assembled at TD Garden for the Celtics draft event even chanted "we want Jimmy Butler" as Grousbeck stood at the podium to discuss the selection. Boston was linked in trade rumors about potentially acquiring Butler from the Chicago Bulls until minutes before the draft, and fans were disappointed a deal was not reached.

I think in context, fans were booing Wyc and management, rather than booing JB.  It's too bad that that led to Jaylen feeling unwelcome, but I can understand his feelings.

I remember a lot of ppl being upset, at the time, for different reasons. Some ppl wanted to trade the pick, others thought he wasn’t good enough to go at number 3. (You can see how somebody might hold both views.) Simmons tweeted out that the Cs just used the 3 pick to get the 7th best guy in the draft. Don’t have time for more searches, but zero doubt it got back to him - and who knows what the idiots on talk radio were saying. https://ballislife.com/boston-fans-boo-celtics-picks-jaylen-brown-and-ante-zizic/

I heard very few people saying: this is a good pick, Jaylen is a future star who’s worth a number 3 pick. I heard a lot of: why did we blow a valuable pick on this guy with no skills.

« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2022, 01:04:04 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
There was like 5 or so guys possibly projected to go #3 and support was pretty splintered. Certainly so on the blog.  There was certainly no consensus among people on who to take there.

IMO, the booing was much more related to not moving the pick (aka fireworks) than an indictment of Jaylen himself.

« Reply #139 on: December 07, 2022, 01:08:48 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

From the article:

I remember a lot of ppl being upset, at the time, for different reasons. Some ppl wanted to trade the pick, others thought he wasn’t good enough to go at number 3. (You can see how somebody might hold both views.) Simmons tweeted out that the Cs just used the 3 pick to get the 7th best guy in the draft. Don’t have time for more searches, but zero doubt it got back to him - and who knows what the idiots on talk radio were saying. https://ballislife.com/boston-fans-boo-celtics-picks-jaylen-brown-and-ante-zizic/

I heard very few people saying: this is a good pick, Jaylen is a future star who’s worth a number 3 pick. I heard a lot of: why did we blow a valuable pick on this guy with no skills.

I liked that Jaylen pick but I wanted either Jaylen or Dragen Bender so I was only half right. The draft is always a gamble. It's also a lot more about fit with the right team. Jaylen was a good fit with our team and with Brad as his coach.

« Reply #140 on: December 07, 2022, 01:45:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

From the article:

I liked that Jaylen pick but I wanted either Jaylen or Dragen Bender so I was only half right. The draft is always a gamble. It's also a lot more about fit with the right team. Jaylen was a good fit with our team and with Brad as his coach.

I wanted Brown or Murray.  For some reason I can't remember, I was down on Buddy Hield and Dunn.  I hated Bender, and as I recall I didn't like Criss and thought Sabonis was a big reach in the lottery.

The guy I was irrationally high on from that lottery was Poeltl.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #141 on: December 07, 2022, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
'16 Draft Thread is a gem.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=84900.420

This thread should be saved. There are going to be a LOT of people on this thread who will be sorely embarrassed by their remarks tonight.

He sure was right.

« Reply #142 on: December 07, 2022, 02:09:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

This thread should be saved. There are going to be a LOT of people on this thread who will be sorely embarrassed by their remarks tonight.

He sure was right.
I was big on doing the trade with Philly and then trying to move back up to 8 (since it was rumored since before the draft Sacto was looking to move 8)

It was reportedly 3 for Noel, Covington, 24, and 26.  Even some reports Okafor could have been involved.  Obviously keeping the pick and getting Brown is way better than that would have been, unless Boston could have moved back up to 8 and potentially still gotten Brown or Poeltl or Chriss or Sabonis.  I don't know if Boston could have moved back up to 8, but the actual trade for 8 was rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic, 13, 28, and a 2020 2nd round pick.  I think Boston could have potentially beaten that with 16, 23, 24, and some other smaller asset.  Sacramento could have still potentially gotten Papagiannis at 16, which seemed to be who they were targeting and why they wanted to move down.  The real question is, how much did they like Bogdanovic (who wouldn't even come over for a whole other year) verse an extra 1st or two.

And it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that Brown still would have been available at 8, since Philly was reportedly moving up for Dunn.  So changing the 3rd pick would have potentially had a ripple effect, such that I do think the first time Brown would have been seriously considered would have been 7 so he absolutely could have still been in play at 8. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #143 on: December 07, 2022, 02:37:10 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Simmons tweeted out that the Cs just used the 3 pick to get the 7th best guy in the draft.

It's interesting to think about taking Brown #3 (when so many projections had him going later) knowing what we know about Danny's trading down for Tatum the next year.

I made a post a few years back about it (has dead links though):

When it comes to Brown's projected draft position though, NBA.com actually posted a mock draft summary, and it appears to have been updated the night before the draft with the latest mocks:

NBA.com: Brown at 8, Bender at 3
Draft Express: Brown at 8, Dunn at 3
ESPN.com: Brown at 6, Dunn at 3
SI.com: Brown at 8, Bender at 3
Sporting News: Brown at 7, Chriss at 3
CBS Sports (6/14): Brown at 8, Murray at 3
NBADraft.net: Brown at 4, Dunn at 3
USA Today: Brown at 3
NetScouts: Brown at 8, Bender at 3
Bleacher Report: Brown at 7, Hield at 3
Basketball Insiders: Brown at 6, Murray at 3
CBS Sports (6/21): Brown at 8, Murray at 3

1 of 12 had Brown going #3 (USA Today nailed the C's pick, not much else).
1 of 12 had Brown going #4
2 of 12 had Brown going #6
2 of 12 had Brown going #7
6 of 12 had Brown going #8

So a couple of people had Brown going high, but the majority seemed to have him going at the back end of that #3-#8 tier.

Did Danny try to trade down to get Brown at 6-8, plus another asset(s)?

Maybe he did, but nobody was biting since many had 3-8 so interchangeable in the rankings?

Or maybe he thought Phoenix might take Brown? There were multiple reports of the Suns liking Brown (see here and here).

Also I remember Moranis's trade proposal he just brought up again, referencing Philly and Sacramento.  Seems there were moves that could have been made.

I think it would be pretty interesting to be in the C's war room before the 2016 draft and see what kind of moves Danny tried to pull off (if any).  One things for sure though, he nailed two drafts in a row taking guys higher than anybody else would.  I know there's some debate about if Danny really would have taken Durant #1 over Oden in '07 or not, but the Brown and Tatum drafts shows Danny could go against the grain and pick the right guy.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #144 on: December 10, 2022, 10:54:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

He sure was right.
I was big on doing the trade with Philly and then trying to move back up to 8 (since it was rumored since before the draft Sacto was looking to move 8)

It was reportedly 3 for Noel, Covington, 24, and 26.  Even some reports Okafor could have been involved.  Obviously keeping the pick and getting Brown is way better than that would have been, unless Boston could have moved back up to 8 and potentially still gotten Brown or Poeltl or Chriss or Sabonis.  I don't know if Boston could have moved back up to 8, but the actual trade for 8 was rights to Bogdan Bogdanovic, 13, 28, and a 2020 2nd round pick.  I think Boston could have potentially beaten that with 16, 23, 24, and some other smaller asset.  Sacramento could have still potentially gotten Papagiannis at 16, which seemed to be who they were targeting and why they wanted to move down.  The real question is, how much did they like Bogdanovic (who wouldn't even come over for a whole other year) verse an extra 1st or two.

And it wasn't out of the realm of possibility that Brown still would have been available at 8, since Philly was reportedly moving up for Dunn.  So changing the 3rd pick would have potentially had a ripple effect, such that I do think the first time Brown would have been seriously considered would have been 7 so he absolutely could have still been in play at 8.

Philly trade would have been bad. Covington has bounced around the league and eventually got overpaid. Noel is basically out of the league. Objectively just bad to even risk brown for it. I kind of liked it at the time but we can all admit that would have been a really bad trade in retrospect without fantasy land subsequent trades. 

« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2022, 11:30:10 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Simmons tweeted out that the Cs just used the 3 pick to get the 7th best guy in the draft.

It's interesting to think about taking Brown #3 (when so many projections had him going later) knowing what we know about Danny's trading down for Tatum the next year.

I made a post a few years back about it (has dead links though):

When it comes to Brown's projected draft position though, NBA.com actually posted a mock draft summary, and it appears to have been updated the night before the draft with the latest mocks:

NBA.com: Brown at 8, Bender at 3
Draft Express: Brown at 8, Dunn at 3
ESPN.com: Brown at 6, Dunn at 3
SI.com: Brown at 8, Bender at 3
Sporting News: Brown at 7, Chriss at 3
CBS Sports (6/14): Brown at 8, Murray at 3
NBADraft.net: Brown at 4, Dunn at 3
USA Today: Brown at 3
NetScouts: Brown at 8, Bender at 3
Bleacher Report: Brown at 7, Hield at 3
Basketball Insiders: Brown at 6, Murray at 3
CBS Sports (6/21): Brown at 8, Murray at 3

1 of 12 had Brown going #3 (USA Today nailed the C's pick, not much else).
1 of 12 had Brown going #4
2 of 12 had Brown going #6
2 of 12 had Brown going #7
6 of 12 had Brown going #8

So a couple of people had Brown going high, but the majority seemed to have him going at the back end of that #3-#8 tier.

Did Danny try to trade down to get Brown at 6-8, plus another asset(s)?

Maybe he did, but nobody was biting since many had 3-8 so interchangeable in the rankings?

Or maybe he thought Phoenix might take Brown? There were multiple reports of the Suns liking Brown (see here and here).

Also I remember Moranis's trade proposal he just brought up again, referencing Philly and Sacramento.  Seems there were moves that could have been made.

I think it would be pretty interesting to be in the C's war room before the 2016 draft and see what kind of moves Danny tried to pull off (if any).  One things for sure though, he nailed two drafts in a row taking guys higher than anybody else would.  I know there's some debate about if Danny really would have taken Durant #1 over Oden in '07 or not, but the Brown and Tatum drafts shows Danny could go against the grain and pick the right guy.

Just so we're clear on this, Brown was in a "tier" with Murray, Heild, Bender, Chriss and Dunn that ranged from 3-8.

More mock drafts having him going 5-8 doesn't mean that was where people thought he deserved to go, its where the people doing the mocks thought he would go. There really wasn't much difference between those six guys pre-draft. The reason you don't see him at three in a lot of mocks was because the Celtics were FAR more heavily rumored to be after Dunn due to his New England connection, and a rumor that Chicago was interested in him as part of a Buter trade. The Celtics were also linked with Heild and Murray extensively because the needed shooting.

Brown at 3 wasn't really a reach, he was in that group of guys in Tier 2. It just wasn't what most people thought would happen.

And that's what caused the "booing" as well. People weren't booing Brown so much as they were booing the C's not doing something else. For most that something was trading for Jimmy butler. For others it was drafting a shooter. Or taking the more "ready" guy in Kriss Dunn. Basically, the rxn was because Wyc set expectations to high, then drafted the guy who draft experts called a "project" when everyone had their own pet move they wanted to make.

That said I can understand Jaylen's rxn. You get to a new city and your first impression is the fans booing after your name is called, not great.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 11:38:41 AM by keevsnick »