Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 34292 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #465 on: December 19, 2022, 04:31:06 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
PK's are far from ideal, but most of the time the more skilled team wins. Most good clubs have about 2 guys you trust with PK's and then it's whoever is hot or cold. But guys also choke in the moment. The fact that Mbappe and Messi made all of theirs is pretty impressive. 

And if you don't trust enough of your guys to make PK's or you know your keeper sucks - best to win it in the run of play.

The alternative is players getting hurt because their bodies break down. 60 minutes is considered the magic number in terms of when concentration ebs and playes start to get fatigued. These games are going 120 minutes, though granted teams get more subs than in the past.  You used to only get 3.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 04:36:38 PM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #466 on: December 20, 2022, 05:03:49 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
So, recency bias and all, but where does this World Cup rank overall?  This final?

Right up near the top I would say, in terms of suspense. Germany v. Argentina in 2014 was a great game, as was Italy v France in 2006 with Zizou getting sent off. I have a soft spot for USA 94 Brazil v Italy because that was the first World Cup that I really got into watching soccer, I just loved the pageantry of it. But this one I think tops them all in terms of how it swung from one side to another and needed PKs to settle it. I know people hate PKs but back before 1970 they used to flip a coin to figure out the winner if the teams were deadlocked so this is an improvement and there's a lot of mental fortitude involved  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #467 on: December 20, 2022, 05:05:22 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I never understand how penalty kick fouls are called. Argentina got their first PK on a weak call similar to that, but the ref gave the France player a yellow card for a "dive"??

It's hard because the nature of soccer is that the ball can be played up and down the pitch very quickly and there's just the referee and the two linesmen and so they can be unsighted (unless they use VAR).

« Reply #468 on: December 20, 2022, 05:05:43 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Looking forward to USA 2026!

« Reply #469 on: December 20, 2022, 11:17:51 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
That was the most exciting soccer game that I’ve seen. Combining the ramifications and the suspense made that event 10/10. Great World Cup in total too. I enjoyed watching the US draw with England, as well as Morocco’s upsets.

I think it is fair to call Messi the GOAT now.

« Reply #470 on: December 20, 2022, 12:35:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
That was an amazing tournament. Obviously still think it's ridiculous Qatar got to host it given all their restrictions and obvious bribes. The games themselves though were awesome and there were a lot of great finishes. Penalty kicks were exciting and there were a lot of games that went down to them.

Lot of upsets and intrigue throughout the group stages as well, and seeing teams like Morocco make a deep run like they did was very cool

I really think 2026 is a huge opportunity for the U.S. to grow the sport around here, since they'll be hosting it alongside Mexico + Canada, and also there's a lot of room for continued growth with the USMNT since many of the players are still young and only entering their primes.

Very excited for 2026. I definitely plan to go to a game or two even if it's a little expensive.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #471 on: December 20, 2022, 01:04:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I agree Qatar hosting was ridiculous, but I do wonder if the fact that the teams didn't travel that much led to better gameplay.  I mean there were what 8 stadiums in 5 cities and they were all within like 60 miles of each other.  Even in a place like England (which is relatively small and compact) there is significantly more travel. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #472 on: December 29, 2022, 02:50:27 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Not sure where to put this one so I will write it here. RIP Pele... The true King and GOAT of soccer. He revolutionized the game and became one of the biggest international names in sports.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #473 on: December 29, 2022, 03:08:09 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Not sure where to put this one so I will write it here. RIP Pele... The true King and GOAT of soccer. He revolutionized the game and became one of the biggest international names in sports.

The only player known by non-soccer people like me.  A true icon.  Had a nice role in “Victory”. You couldn’t be alive in the 60’s and 70’s without knowing who Pele was.  Truly world renowned. RIP.