Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 33710 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2022, 03:54:47 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
A draw against England is better than I expected. Just beat Iran and they survive.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2022, 04:04:30 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
They’re going to have to score a goal against Iran, hopefully more than one…that’s what worries me about this team, they defend well and are industrious in midfield and can create chances but the finishing has let them down. They have to figure that out
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2022, 04:14:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Too bad Iran got those 2 very late goals.  A draw in that game and the US would be looking a lot better.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2022, 04:21:13 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Only got to watch the last 15 minutes, but based on that it appears our strategy was to slowly and methodically work the ball upfield, let the opposing team's defense get set in the box, then make a slow crossing pass directly to a defender.

The box score suggests they did better earlier on, but the ending was pretty meh. Also, we seemed to lose all the balls in the air.

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2022, 04:22:14 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Too bad Iran got those 2 very late goals.  A draw in that game and the US would be looking a lot better.

Yep, because then a draw against Iran would have got us through if Wales lost against England but at least we’re still in control of our destiny. Theyve created a number of chances across two games but just lack that clinical finishing edge. We need to start breeding some good forwards like Haaland that can put the ball in the net  :police:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 06:47:49 PM by ozgod »

« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2022, 04:52:55 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
They’re going to have to score a goal against Iran, hopefully more than one…that’s what worries me about this team, they defend well and are industrious in midfield and can create chances but the finishing has let them down. They have to figure that out
Agree because Iran likely plays for a draw. The US lacks a decent striker. We just don't have any - at any level right now. The guys on the roster are as good as any we have, but none of them are capable of playing at a top club.

« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2022, 08:12:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Honestly I'll take it. England is a really good squad (also ranked #5 in FIFA) and were coming off a dominant win over Iran where they scored 6 goals. The U.S. played solid and looked really good, in fact they probably outplayed England today. That's very encouraging not just for today but going forward for the national team.

Now obviously, they'll need to actually score goals. But I think it sets up nicely. If the U.S. wants to prove they deserve to advance to the knockout stages, then beat Iran Tuesday. Plain and simple. It's hard for any team to advance if they just draw 2 or 3 matches and don't win any, so it's time for the U.S. to put a good effort on Tuesday and actually score some goals to advance.

But so far, I think they are having a good World Cup and the stage doesn't look too big for them. They are showing they belong and it's not just luck/fluke.

If they play like they did the last two games, they really should beat Iran (and I say this knowing Iran won today against Wales but that game was very close to heading to a 0-0 draw until Wales lost a player and choked late in the additional time portion)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2022, 10:31:12 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Honestly I'll take it. England is a really good squad (also ranked #5 in FIFA) and were coming off a dominant win over Iran where they scored 6 goals. The U.S. played solid and looked really good, in fact they probably outplayed England today. That's very encouraging not just for today but going forward for the national team.

Now obviously, they'll need to actually score goals. But I think it sets up nicely. If the U.S. wants to prove they deserve to advance to the knockout stages, then beat Iran Tuesday. Plain and simple. It's hard for any team to advance if they just draw 2 or 3 matches and don't win any, so it's time for the U.S. to put a good effort on Tuesday and actually score some goals to advance.

But so far, I think they are having a good World Cup and the stage doesn't look too big for them. They are showing they belong and it's not just luck/fluke.

If they play like they did the last two games, they really should beat Iran (and I say this knowing Iran won today against Wales but that game was very close to heading to a 0-0 draw until Wales lost a player and choked late in the additional time portion)

Totally agree. You want to show you deserve to be there, not just that you scraped in by default and are there to make up the numbers. I think this is a fantastic opportunity for them, if they had to pick which team they wanted it to come down to beating I'm sure they would have picked Iran. Just gotta prove their quality on Tuesday  :angel:

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2022, 10:55:36 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Totally agree. You want to show you deserve to be there, not just that you scraped in by default and are there to make up the numbers. I think this is a fantastic opportunity for them, if they had to pick which team they wanted it to come down to beating I'm sure they would have picked Iran. Just gotta prove their quality on Tuesday  :angel:

I would have loved two opening draws a week ago. This should be a great game vs Iran. The US has to push it, while Iran will be content playing for the draw. Hopefully with just one goal, the US can make Iran shift gears.

This has been a fun week watching these guys. I hope it keeps going, knowing that we are only guarenteed one more game. Looks like Group B #2 will play Netherlands. After watching them play England today, I think the US can potentially win two in a row.

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2022, 11:09:40 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I would have loved two opening draws a week ago. This should be a great game vs Iran. The US has to push it, while Iran will be content playing for the draw. Hopefully with just one goal, the US can make Iran shift gears.

This has been a fun week watching these guys. I hope it keeps going, knowing that we are only guarenteed one more game. Looks like Group B #2 will play Netherlands. After watching them play England today, I think the US can potentially win two in a row.
Hopefully the US wins big and Wales ends up tying (or beating) England.  It would be fantastic if the US won the group. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2022, 01:38:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Friend and co-worker of mine is from Australia and has a lot of family there, so happy to see his Soccerroos get the win today  :)

« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2022, 07:05:21 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
After losing 7-0 to Spain Costa Rica have managed to defeat Japan 1-0. So Both teams are on 3 points with Spain who play Germany later today. Japan's defeat means that Germany can't be eliminated today even if they lose, as long as Spain beat Japan by a lot and Germany beat Costa Rica. If they beat Spain they've got a great chance. What a lifeline the Japanese gave them.

« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2022, 09:53:29 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Belgium gonna lose 2-0 to Morocco…Wow

« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2022, 10:46:02 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Pretty entertaining group stage this has been. Costa Rica and Morocco upsetting Japan and Belgium already today. Germany-Spain should be very exciting to watch as well

« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2022, 11:02:07 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Canada score a goal in the first minute against Croatia!