Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 33712 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #390 on: December 10, 2022, 04:03:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Argentina vs. Croatia on Tuesday

France vs. Morocco on Wednesday

Should be amazing games. Who you guys got? Am I crazy to actually think Croatia AND Morocco can pull off the upsets. I feel at least one of them definitely will
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #391 on: December 10, 2022, 04:07:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
That penalty kick was truly shocking. Absolute chance down the toilet
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #392 on: December 10, 2022, 04:11:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Should be amazing games. Who you guys got? Am I crazy to actually think Croatia AND Morocco can pull off the upsets. I feel at least one of them definitely will

Look even contests to me. No favourites.

I like Morocco against France. No pressure on them. It will all be on France. France will have to chase the game. If they do not get a 1st half goal, the pressure will crank up to huge levels in 2nd half. All about that early goal.

I hope Modric can knock-out Messi! I'm not sure Croatia are any better than Argentina or vice versa for that matter but I'd love to see Croatia knock them out.

« Reply #393 on: December 10, 2022, 04:14:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
It'll be interesting to see if France can break down Morocco. They got a big target man in the middle in Giroud for crosses, a speedster in Mbappe, a schemer in Griezmann and a dribbler in Dembele. Nice variety to their attack.

« Reply #394 on: December 10, 2022, 04:22:10 PM »

Online Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Under pressure in the World Cup, even the best can miss them. Cracks me up when you hear non-soccer fans talk about how easy PK's supposedly are.  Out of that whole roster, Kane would be my pick - even if he's made one already.

« Reply #395 on: December 10, 2022, 04:29:18 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I like Morocco against France. No pressure on them. It will all be on France. France will have to chase the game. If they do not get a 1st half goal, the pressure will crank up to huge levels in 2nd half. All about that early goal.

I hope Modric can knock-out Messi! I'm not sure Croatia are any better than Argentina or vice versa for that matter but I'd love to see Croatia knock them out.

I'm predicting Croatia upsets Argentina, and France beats Morocco. Then it's a rematch of 2018, this time with Croatia and Modric coming out on top to win it all
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #396 on: December 10, 2022, 04:31:59 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I also expect a rematch. For the record, I don't think it's really an upset if Croatia beats Argentina, quality wise they don't differ much.

I'm predicting Croatia upsets Argentina, and France beats Morocco. Then it's a rematch of 2018, this time with Croatia and Modric coming out on top to win it all

« Reply #397 on: December 10, 2022, 04:53:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Under pressure in the World Cup, even the best can miss them. Cracks me up when you hear non-soccer fans talk about how easy PK's supposedly are.  Out of that whole roster, Kane would be my pick - even if he's made one already.
Of course they can, there are tonnes of examples. That doesn't make it any less of a shocker.

« Reply #398 on: December 10, 2022, 11:38:46 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
CONGRATS TO MOROCCO!

They look like the dream team in this tournament. Really would love to see them or Croatia win it all at the end.

I would love to see them beat France and then hopefully Croatia in the final. The minnow World Cup final  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #399 on: December 11, 2022, 02:53:26 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White

Shades of Robbie Baggio against Brazil in the shootout in 1994. That was blazed over the bar too

« Reply #400 on: December 11, 2022, 07:08:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Shades of Robbie Baggio against Brazil in the shootout in 1994. That was blazed over the bar too
I'm not familiar with WC history - did Baggio have a record similar to Kane's? I think Kane had scored 18/21 penalties for England prior to the miss, with none being off target

« Reply #401 on: December 11, 2022, 07:59:20 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White

I'm not familiar with WC history - did Baggio have a record similar to Kane's? I think Kane had scored 18/21 penalties for England prior to the miss, with none being off target

I don't remember his WC record but I do know he had the record for best PK success rate for Italy in Serie A. And he came into the 1994 WC as Italy's talisman, their trequartista, and he needed to convert his penalty to keep Italy alive, and he smashed it over the bar. It just reminded me of that - Italy probably wouldn't have made the final if not for Baggio, he scored 5 goals in the knockout stages including 2 against Nigeria in Foxborough (that was the game after which I really started to follow soccer). Then he scored again against Spain (I was cheering for Italy, my dad was cheering for Spain as he's half Spanish  :police:) and then again against Bulgaria. But then in the Final he missed what was the last penalty kick in the shootout and Brazil won and he's forever remembered for that. He made up for it in 1998 scoring a penalty against Chile but obviously missing one that could have kept you in a WC final is a bit different.

I remember Baggio because in a way he became my first soccer player I followed, before that I didn't really follow the game, didn't know anything about it, there was no MLS and the NASL was a shambles, poorly run...it wasn't till the World Cup that the world's best players came to the US and I started to learn about them and more importantly saw them play. I adopted Italy as my team for that tournament after the US were eliminated by Brazil and I adopted Baggio as my guy  :police:

His misfortune reminded me of Kane...a guy you'd expect would be money from the spot. But pressure does some strange things to people. Though in Kane's (and Baggio's) case I don't think they choked, he just hit it wrong, got under it too much and that was that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 08:21:58 AM by ozgod »

« Reply #402 on: December 12, 2022, 03:12:22 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
SMH THIS DEFENSE IS ATROCIOUS. EVERY CROSS IS AN EASY NETHERLANDS GOAL FROM A GUY UNMARKED

Also can someone explain to me why Aaronson and Reyna never started any WC games? And Reyna in particular barely played outside of the one full half today. What's the logic with that?

More is becoming clear regarding Reyna's lack of playing time and contribution. I hope the kid doesn't have an attitude problem.

United States midfielder Giovanni Reyna was almost sent home from the World Cup in Qatar due to a lack of effort in training and in a pre-tournament scrimmage against Qatari side Al Gharafa SC, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

Reyna, 20, did not start a single game for the US in Qatar but did play the entire second half of their final match -- a 3-1 loss to the Netherlands in the round of 16. The sources added that Reyna apologized to the entire team for his lack of effort.

The disclosure came after US manager Gregg Berhalter spoke at the HOW Institute for Society's Summit on Moral Leadership in New York on Tuesday. His comments were later published in a newsletter by Charterworks, in which he said the US "had a player that was clearly not meeting expectations on and off the field. One of 26 players, so it stood out. As a staff, we sat together for hours deliberating what we were going to do with this player. We were ready to book a plane ticket home, that's how extreme it was."

Berhalter went on to say: "What it came down to was, we're going to have one more conversation with him, and part of the conversation was how we're going to behave from here out. There aren't going to be any more infractions. But the other thing we said to him was, you're going to have to apologize to the group, but it's going to have to say why you're apologizing. It's going to have to go deeper than just 'Guys, I'm sorry.' And I prepped the leadership group with this. I said, 'OK, this guy's going to apologize to you as a group, to the whole team.'"

MLSSoccer.com was first to identify that the player was Reyna, with The Athletic reporting that Reyna was nearly sent home, and his performance in training was why his playing time was affected.

Reached via text message, Berhalter issued the following statement to ESPN: "It's not really important who it was. The important thing is that the group had very clear standards and they were prepared to communicate if the standards weren't being met. Sometimes that communication leads to positive change and a clear pathway forward."

Berhalter later added that the presentation was supposed to be off the record.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-usa/story/4830953/usa-midfielder-giovanni-reyna-almost-sent-home-from-world-cup

I hope he doesn't end up being a Simmons type guy who thinks he's too good to put the effort in...his dad should have a good talk to him that US teams won't put up with that.

« Reply #403 on: December 12, 2022, 05:31:46 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
Of course they can, there are tonnes of examples. That doesn't make it any less of a shocker.
Bit late to the thread, but it was wonderful to watch :)

Had football come home it would have been detained in the airport and questioned about where it'd been for the last 50 years before being deported. Better to save everyone the embarrassment.

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #404 on: December 12, 2022, 07:49:56 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Bit late to the thread, but it was wonderful to watch :)

Had football come home it would have been detained in the airport and questioned about where it'd been for the last 50 years before being deported. Better to save everyone the embarrassment.
Haha, very droll. I was certainly not sad to see it happen - just wanted another decided by penalties. They've been especially thrilling with the games being at ungodly hours of the morning.