Guy Playing Football Guy
"And One" Guy
Playing Thru Injury Guy
Guy who can't make a move without traveling Guy
Guy who screams at shooters to distract them Guy
Guy who just can't keep the score right and is always arguing about it Guy
Sweaty Guy
Always Takes Charges Guy

Author Topic: Who are the Worst Pickup Basketball Guys or Ladies?  (Read 66031 times)

Re: Who are the Worst Pickup Basketball Guys or Ladies?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2022, 12:32:36 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I want to be the point guard guy, who thinks dribbling the ball past half court is the extent of the job.

The guy that calls a foul every time he misses a shot.

The guy that tries to take a charge.

Anyone that flops.

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2022, 12:38:36 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
How about the trash talker, who can't back it up guy.

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2022, 12:46:49 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I'm reminded of this video, that I first discovered when somebody posted it on Celticsblog (by Celtic I think, back when he had a green Optimus Prime avatar):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coM5JaeHTK0

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2022, 12:47:53 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Guy who blames his teammates all the time.

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2022, 12:55:24 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
Guy who blames his teammates all the time.

Opposite side of the coin, I've played with a few "my bad" guys.

Not talking about making a mistake and owning it, but guys that every move is a mistake because they try to play like they're Kobe. 

Pull up for a 25ft jumper that of course misses, "my bad."

Dribbles into a double team and of course gets stripped, "my bad."

Drives into the lane packed with 3 guys and forces a shot that gets blocked, "my bad."

Shoots over 2 defenders and misses instead of passing to the open man under the hoop, "my bad."

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2022, 12:56:32 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
for me, it's Ball-hog guy that never passes and shoots every time he gets the ball.  that guy is almost 100% of the time a complete bricklayer

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2022, 12:59:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How do people feel about "always takes charges" guy?  (Not that he's asking for a foul called on the ball-handler, he just doesn't give up position, and it p---es people off when they penetrate and hit a brick wall that refuses to move.)

Love that guy! And serious defense guy! And Amazing gear terrible mediocre ability guy!

Cause that's me! Even pick-up games need a glue guy, garbage man.

Put me down for hates "never passes guy"...frequently so many of em too.

this thread needs a poll.

Haha.  That's me, too.  I always sucked at offense -- the Tim Duncan backboard jumper was the only shot of mine I could make with any consistency.  I wasn't good at dribbling, I was mediocre at rebounding, I was a willing passer but nothing special.  But defensively, I was pretty quick at moving my feet.  "Lateral quickness", as they say.  And I took charges like nobody's business.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2022, 01:14:52 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
How do people feel about "always takes charges" guy?  (Not that he's asking for a foul called on the ball-handler, he just doesn't give up position, and it p---es people off when they penetrate and hit a brick wall that refuses to move.)

Confused about this one (though to be fair I'm one of the guys who will take charges).  Does the offense expect an open lane?  I understand not playing serious D, but at minimum you got to dribble around me.

I don't know if it's still a thing now (not really playing with young guys and also not playing as much), but in the 2000's in the And1 craze, you had people think that was real basketball and try to play that game.  Where they'd isolate and spend the whole possession trying to break their man down with these fancy moves, and then most of the moves they end up doing are not even close to legal.  Of course guys who are sticklers for the rules hate it, but even the non-sticklers hated it. 

And then they'd talk trash and think they got you if they made it past you even if they missed the shot.

I enjoyed watching And1, but I think it was a terrible influence on a lot of guys.

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2022, 01:22:43 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Definitely never passes guy for me  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2022, 01:26:20 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
The "what is wrong with me today" guy

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2022, 01:41:21 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
A lot of great options here, but I still say this is the worst:

"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2022, 01:55:37 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Internet message board guy.  Thinks he knows how to play because he watches all the videos and comments on every player’s ability, but man does he suck.

*looks in mirror*

I feel personally attacked. ;D

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2022, 02:00:48 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Definitely never passes guy for me  :police:
Me too. Haven't played in more than 10 years (I'm 64), but that was The Guy who I still remember. Thought he was a gift from god.

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2022, 02:26:01 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
My least favorite of the past few years was a one and composite of several guys.

Waltham YMCA I'm waiting to get on court watching the current game and this big, older dude was splashing 3's all game, chirping trash talk, and in general looking very impressed with himself.

When It's my turn to play I am closest to his height so I D him up and he quickly realizes those wide open 3's he had last game aren't there any more.

I block his first 3 outright no contact as soon as it left his hand. Next time he goes to hoist one up there I am not giving him anything. He gives me a pump fake which I followed keeping my balance and never losing my position and he just sneers at me and says 'maaan thats stupid' and passes it off. I just smirk at him.

Later in the game after he laid several more bricks we both go for a rebound hip to hip. I come away with the ball and he lands, then falls, and clutches his knee saying that I tripped him on the way down. I looked at him and said that I went strait up for the ball, I stayed in my space, and if anything any contact was initiated by him. He keeps playing up the injury and blaming me for tripping him and that it was a loose ball foul.

Fine, I'm kind of new on these courts and am not trying to get in an argument the guy at the Y. I just move on and he grabs the ball to check it up. Suddenly though, in comes my teammate who tells the guy it's our ball. The guy says I fouled him but my teammate was having none of it and says I went strait up for the rebound. We get the ball back and go on to win the game.

-----
Long winded story aside, feel free to trash talk my ability or my defensive approach to the game all you like but falsely accusing me of playing dirty or reckless is an attack on my character and that is not something that I can abide.

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2022, 02:26:21 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Lame, can’t admit he just drove into traffic and threw up a bad shot so he’s calling a foul guy.