Author Topic: Nolan  (Read 1834 times)

Nolan
« on: October 27, 2022, 02:40:56 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
What are your favorite and least favorite Christopher Nolan films?

Favorite: Inception
Least Favorite (But Still Good): Tenet or Following

Re: Nolan
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 09:24:50 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Favorite:
Inception
Difficult to say but Inception just beats out the Dark Night. Probably my favorite film that I've ever seen in theaters.

Dark Horse:
The Prestige
Incredible film. I try to put time in between rewatching it since it loses it's wonder if you know what's going to happen but the Bale - Jackman rivalry is one of the best I've ever seen in a movie.

Most challenging:
Memento
Saw it in college years back and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Showed it to my wife last year and we just kind of thought it was alright. The performances are good but the pacing is brutal.

Least Favorite:
Interstellar or Dunkirk
Dunkirk had it's moments (loved the bridge scene) but things were a bit overdramatic and the nature of the story doesn't really lend itself too well to film. I saw it on a plane so maybe it would have been more engrossing in theater.

Interstellar was a disappointment since I was really excited for the film but it felt like a worse Contact with a way bigger budget.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2022, 09:46:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Favorite:  The Dark Knight

Least Favorite:  The Dark Knight Rises

I've never seen Following.  Of the Nolan movies I have seen, the only one I didn't think was good, or at least interesting, was The Dark Knight Rises.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2022, 10:44:37 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Batman Begins is a much better movie than the Dark Knight. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2022, 11:05:49 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

In terms of narrative structure, probably.  But I find Dark Knight to be more enjoyable, mostly because Ledger was so excellent in it.  And, I think Dark Knight Rises would have been much better if Ledger hadn't died, because I think Nolan had a plan for a Joker follow up that we never got to see.  Dark Knight Rises is what happens when a writer / director is forced to make something, rather than truly having a passion for it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2022, 11:48:20 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

In terms of narrative structure, probably.  But I find Dark Knight to be more enjoyable, mostly because Ledger was so excellent in it.  And, I think Dark Knight Rises would have been much better if Ledger hadn't died, because I think Nolan had a plan for a Joker follow up that we never got to see.  Dark Knight Rises is what happens when a writer / director is forced to make something, rather than truly having a passion for it.
no question that Ledger was awesome, but that movie isn't actually a good movie.  It was too big, too bloated, tried to do to much, and frankly aside from Ledger and Bale (and of course Caine) the acting wasn't very good.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip