Author Topic: Mike Muscala?  (Read 8120 times)

Re: Mike Muscala?
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2023, 07:18:46 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Just the type of player the depth needed. Nice pickup for little cost.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2023, 05:21:28 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Only 3 games in, but so far Mike is averaging 25mpg and he’s giving the C’s 13.3pts/4.7rebs per game, while shooting 39% from 3pt and 48% from the field. His per36 is 18.9pts/6.6rebs. Not too shabby. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:44:31 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2023, 05:44:49 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
Only 3 games in, but so far Mike is averaging 25mpg and he’s giving the C’s 13.3pts/4.7rebs while shooting 39% from 3pt and 48% from the field. His per36 is 18.9pts/6.6rebs. Not too shabby.

He's such a solid fit with this team. It's always nice to have more shooting.

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2023, 06:05:47 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Only 3 games in, but so far Mike is averaging 25mpg and he’s giving the C’s 13.3pts/4.7rebs while shooting 39% from 3pt and 48% from the field. His per36 is 18.9pts/6.6rebs. Not too shabby.

He's such a solid fit with this team. It's always nice to have more shooting.

Great how he looks in his first 3 games.  Giving what hoped to get from Gallo.  Hope he keeps it up given that the Cs are obviously all in on the 3.

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2023, 06:08:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Muscula could be a pretty solid Grant Williams replacement if some team idiotically offers more than $15 million per year.  Muscula offers similar production for $3.5 million.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=willigr01&p1yrfrom=2023&player_id2=muscami01&p2yrfrom=2023

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2023, 06:44:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Muscula could be a pretty solid Grant Williams replacement if some team idiotically offers more than $15 million per year.  Muscula offers similar production for $3.5 million.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=willigr01&p1yrfrom=2023&player_id2=muscami01&p2yrfrom=2023

Muscala definitely makes Grant expendable. If I had to choose between the two, think I’d prefer having Mike. He’s a superior shooter, rebounder, has better size, and can play the 4 or 5. Muscala brings more to the table, IMO.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2023, 06:59:28 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Muscala's option should already be picked up if you ask me. 3.5M? Bargain.

But also if something does materialize in the trade market this offseason, Muscala's 3.5M in salary could also be part of it if needed for salary purposes.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2023, 09:36:02 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Muscala definitely makes Grant expendable. If I had to choose between the two, think I’d prefer having Mike. He’s a superior shooter, rebounder, has better size, and can play the 4 or 5. Muscala brings more to the table, IMO.

Muscala is a fine shooter and screen-setter. I don’t want him defending Embiid or Giannis, or being switched onto a guard. Grant is a much better playoff defender.

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2023, 10:03:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Muscala is a fine shooter and screen-setter. I don’t want him defending Embiid or Giannis, or being switched onto a guard. Grant is a much better playoff defender.

Muscula is quite good as a defender.  Nobody wants him as the primary cover on Giannis or Embiid, but nobody wants that for Williams, either.  I’ve seen nothing to suggest that Muscala can’t handle switches.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2023, 10:27:43 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Muscula is quite good as a defender.  Nobody wants him as the primary cover on Giannis or Embiid, but nobody wants that for Williams, either.  I’ve seen nothing to suggest that Muscala can’t handle switches.

Really?  Not even 2 weeks ago Grant held Embiid to 6-13 shooting while forcing two turnovers and giving up no assists over 40 possessions as the primary defender on Embiid.  Much of that in the second half was without the help of double teams?  He also was terrific against Giannis in the playoffs last season, and had a strong hand in Bam’s pedestrian performance for much of the conference finals last year.

Grant’s imperfect, but if he walks, Mike Muscala will not be a viable replacement.

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2023, 10:31:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Really?  Not even 2 weeks ago Grant held Embiid to 6-13 shooting while forcing two turnovers and giving up no assists over 40 possessions as the primary defender on Embiid.  Much of that in the second half was without the help of double teams?  He also was terrific against Giannis in the playoffs last season, and had a strong hand in Bam’s pedestrian performance for much of the conference finals last year.

Grant’s imperfect, but if he walks, Mike Muscala will not be a viable replacement.

Grant’s defense has been up and down his entire career.  No, I don’t trust him because he held an injured Embiid to a modest performance in the regular season.

I do know that overall in last year’s playoffs the defense was substantially better with him off the floor.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:38:38 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2023, 10:37:51 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Grant’s defense has been up and down his entire career.  No, I don’t trust him because he held an injured Embiid to a modest performance in the regular season.

Fine, but there’s even less reason to trust Muscala. There’s a reason he’s been a career backup for a decade despite being one of the best shooters for his size, and it starts with the letter “D”.

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2023, 10:39:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Fine, but there’s even less reason to trust Muscala. There’s a reason he’s been a career backup for a decade despite being one of the best shooters for his size, and it starts with the letter “D”.

I see you haven’t followed Muscala’s career.

https://rollcallsportsnet.com/mike-muscala-is-here-to-help-your-contender/

Pretty much everywhere he’s been he’s had an excellent net rating, even on lousy teams.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 10:50:40 PM by Roy H. »

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2023, 10:56:00 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Pretty much everywhere he’s been he’s had an excellent net rating, even on lousy teams.

Right, I like him.  But he’s also logged more than 20 minutes in a playoff game only once in his career.  His last playoff series saw him get DNPs in 5 of 7 games.  He’s fine for regular season depth — Grant has already had more playoff success in three seasons than Muscala has had in his career, and it’s not just because he was in OKC.

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2023, 12:32:44 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Right, I like him.  But he’s also logged more than 20 minutes in a playoff game only once in his career.  His last playoff series saw him get DNPs in 5 of 7 games.  He’s fine for regular season depth — Grant has already had more playoff success in three seasons than Muscala has had in his career, and it’s not just because he was in OKC.

Muscala has barely played in the postseason. 29 games in his 10 year career and only 17 in the last 7 years. Grant played in 24 postseason games last year alone and he’s playing with a stacked roster.