Author Topic: NBA considers relegating tanking teams to the G-league  (Read 2985 times)

NBA considers relegating tanking teams to the G-league
« on: October 22, 2022, 06:59:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34854066/adam-silver-says-nba-monitoring-serious-tanking-issue-sources-say

"In such a scenario, Silver told employees, relegation would essentially mean demoting the worst one or two teams to the G League while promoting the best team or two from the G League to the NBA."

It sounds like Silver was not in support of it, but this would be an interesting way of preventing tanking.

Re: NBA considers relegating tanking teams to the G-league
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 07:10:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34854066/adam-silver-says-nba-monitoring-serious-tanking-issue-sources-say

"In such a scenario, Silver told employees, relegation would essentially mean demoting the worst one or two teams to the G League while promoting the best team or two from the G League to the NBA."

It sounds like Silver was not in support of it, but this would be an interesting way of preventing tanking.
Good luck getting the owners and players agreeing to this. Looking at recent bad teams, I can't imagine the Orlando or OKC owners(really any owners) being willing to have their teams be playing in the G League while paying $100 million in salary.

Meanwhile, you could have #1 picks playing their initial years in the G League? Good luck with that. Imagine a team with like Dallas losing Luka to injury for a year to be relegated and suddenly Luka comes back but has to play in the G League.

Stupid, stupid, stupid idea. Euro soccer rules should stay in Europe and soccer.

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 07:11:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Good luck getting the owners and players agreeing to this. Looking at recent bad teams, I can't imagine the Orlando or OKC owners(really any owners) being willing to have their teams be playing in the G League while paying $100 million in salary.

Meanwhile, you could have #1 picks playing their initial years in the G League? Good luck with that. Imagine a team with like Dallas losing Luka to injury for a year to be relegated and suddenly Luka comes back but has to play in the G League.

Stupid, stupid, stupid idea. Euro soccer rules should stay in Europe and soccer.
Yeah, stupid
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 08:27:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Aren't most of the G-League teams affiliated with NBA teams?  Terribly dumb idea
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 10:17:01 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

i like it.

is it going to happen? no.
does it make sense? no.

but i like it.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 11:52:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

i like it.

is it going to happen? no.
does it make sense? no.

but i like it.  ;D
I'm guessing there's a bunch of non-American(Not saying you. I don't know if you're American or not) fans that love the idea, until it's their team relegated to the G League and its impossible to find a place to watch them anymore. The thought of the Celtics being relegated to the G League makes me want to vomit.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 01:50:10 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

I'm not against promotion and relegation per se. I think it works great in Europe and adds excitement and gives bottom teams something to play for. But it won't work in professional sports in the US because there's no history for it and because professional sports in the US are a franchise system. In Europe relegation and promotion have been around for a hundred or more years. There are multiple tiers of soccer that are run by national associations - in England alone there are 21 different leagues of football, from the Premier League down. There are literally hundreds of teams playing in tiers below the Premier League. Anyone can start a team at the lowest level and work their way up, nobody needs to approve their entry. And some become successful, like Leicester City - they went from third division to the Championship to the Premier League in 5 years and 2 years later won the Premiership with a Cinderella season.

In the US the owners are paying a fortune to participate in the NBA, with all the revenue streams that entails. Nobody would be willing to risk those revenue streams by getting relegated to the G-league. And in European soccer there is no salary cap - you can spend whatever you need to spend to get the best players to make sure you never get relegated.

About 11 years ago when American investment in the Premier League began to grow some of the American owners of teams (the Glazers and Man U, Stan Kroenke and Arsenal, and Gillett and Hicks and Liverpool) wanted to get rid of the promotion/relegation concept. Because when you're investing billions into a team, building new stadiums and everything else, you don't want to get relegated and miss out on TV money and all the other revenue streams that come with playing in the Premier League.

This argument still gets periodically gets brought up every now and then, but the game in the UK and Europe is structured differently. In fact that's one of the factors behind the European Super League that Florentino Perez of Real Madrid and Andrea Agnelli (heir to the Fiat auto dynasty) of Juventus were trying to do - to create a fixed league of twelve super teams (Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Juventus, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Liverpool, Man City, Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham) that would play each other in a league, franchise style, with no promotion and relegation. No crappy matches against bottom feeders, just the best playing the best and keeping all the money to themselves. There was a huge negative reaction to it in Europe and it folded even before it got fully off the ground, because the culture around sports there is different to how we have professional leagues here.

In Europe they like the idea that a club can work its way up over the years from League Four to the Premier League on the strength of its performances. But in the US professional sport is big business and no owner worth his salt would jeopardize their investment by agreeing to get relegated. It works well in Europe because the system is built around it. In the US it is not. They don't even have relegation and promotion in Major League Soccer here, because nobody would invest in a team with the expected expenses they would be asked to incur if there was a risk they would get booted to some minor league.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 01:57:56 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 02:57:40 AM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
You want to prevent tanking just eliminate the age limits and extend the drafts to 4 rounds.

If that was the case, Victor Wembanyama would have been taken as a flyer 5 years ago. This would be a nonissue

This would make the Gatorade league even better too
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 08:25:42 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
If we want to contract the number of teams given that we really do not have enough NBA-caliber players to support 30 teams, this is probably the only way to do it. This would surely kill off a couple small market franchises within 2-5 years if it was implemented next year. Then revert back to business as usual with 26-28 teams. We would all be better served. Obviously the Celtics would survive.

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 08:27:56 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
You want to prevent tanking just eliminate the age limits and extend the drafts to 4 rounds.

If that was the case, Victor Wembanyama would have been taken as a flyer 5 years ago. This would be a nonissue

This would make the Gatorade league even better too

I kind of like the idea of removing age limits (just make a requirement that they cannot play in the NBA until they graduate high school even if they are drafted as freshmen in High School), and expanding to three rounds (four would be too many for my liking since I’d like to keep the picks to fewer than 100). I’d actually value second and third round picks for a change.

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 08:35:28 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It’s a good idea but will never happen. The G League has grown significantly imo the last few years but it’s not at the level for relegation/promotion as a lower league. But, I believe in relegation/promotion. Think it would solve a lot of problems and generate a different kind of buzz. The way sports are set up in US will never allow it to happen even though it would help benefit to he sport of some owners were forced to field competitive teams to stay in the first category. There’s been a handful of perennial loser teams in the NBA for a while now that could have honesty used a kick in the crotch as a wake up call.

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 08:40:59 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
This would be extremely exciting:

Two worst teams get the first and second overall pick decided by a coin flip. But they’re then both relegated to G-League the following season. At the end of G-League, the two teams face off against each other in a best-of-seven and the winner re-enters the NBA the following season. Meanwhile, the loser of that series faces off against whoever wins a best-of-seven series against the teams with the two worst records in the NBA that year. The losers of these two series are the next teams in G-League and, once again, get first and second overall decided by a coin flip. In other words, no more incentive to tank for a top two pick since it means you’re headed to G-League and maybe never finding your way out. After this plays out for a few years and bankrupts a few small market teams, we revert back to 1990s-style business as usual with 26-28 teams and keep the league limited to no more than 28 teams since the world will rarely have more than 300 true NBA-caliber players in any given year.

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 08:41:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There's so way this would work in established American sports.  I hope that when Silver says they considered it, it means they spent about 6 seconds on the idea and automatically dismissed it.  There isn't a single owner who would put his franchise at that type of risk.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2022, 09:22:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
There's so way this would work in established American sports.  I hope that when Silver says they considered it, it means they spent about 6 seconds on the idea and automatically dismissed it.  There isn't a single owner who would put his franchise at that type of risk.
I think Silver is a huge fan of the way European soccer is run and is seriously trying all he can to replicate it with the NBA here in the states. How he can be the guy in charge and have such absolutely crappy ideas as to how to get the league into a better overall state is beyond me. That he can't recognize the inherently obvious issues with relegation and why it would never work in the NBA is beyond me.

And I know that there is a bunch of guys here who aren't from America that love and push this idea, but come on!!! Imagine a team worth $5-6 billion with a $120+ million payroll like the Knicks or Lakers getting relegated to a league where the entire league isn't worth that much? Imagine the damage done by having franchises in the largest markets suddenly not being able to be on national TV? Imagine both teams getting relegated and people in those markets deciding not to watch NBA basketball because their team isn't in the NBA? Imagine the uproar at the media partners when New York is replaced by a team in Sioux City and the Lakers by a team in Little Rock? The head honchos at ABC/ESPN and TNT would explode!!!!

The NBA business model and the American fan base simply are not built for or acceptable to relegation.

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2022, 09:30:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I say again, a minor league that is connected to the franchises of the pro team, can never work.  I mean we going to relegate the Washington Nationals and Oakland Athletics to Triple A, so they can play against a bunch of players that could be called up to that team. 

It is perhaps the single stupidest idea that I've ever heard a professional sports league commissioner utter. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip