Author Topic: Ideas to End Tanking  (Read 2422 times)

Re: Ideas to End Tanking
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2022, 08:12:38 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Worst record gets 30 balls.  Next gets 29 and so on until you get to the best record with one ball.  30 balls are picked for all 30 draft slots.  The worst teams still get the best odds, but the difference is so small and every team still has such a small chance at getting the #1 pick that it’s not worth tanking.  You’re also not guaranteed a top 4-5 pick based on your record because every slot is chosen by the balls.

I think I like this idea best followed by 200 lottery balls where the bottom 5 get 20 each, 6-10 get 16 each and 11-30 get one each.

Either one would make lottery night even more exciting knowing we always have a shot at the first overall pick, it is easy to understand, and it pretty much eliminates the strong incentives to tank.

I think I’d put a twist on the idea quoted at the top: The champions automatically are excluded and pick 30th overall. After the 10th draw, all remaining teams‘ pick is based on record, so that way no team that misses the playoffs ever ends up with a pick in the bottom 20s.

30 out of 464 balls = 6.5% chance of first overall
17 out of 464 balls = 3.7% chance of first overall

The first listed odds are worst record and second is the best team that missed the playoffs. Not much difference. Then the runner-up in the Finals have a 2 of 464 chance so 0.4%.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 08:21:17 PM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2022, 08:15:43 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
the best way i can think of to end tanking, and it will 100% do so, is to give all the drafts picks of all the other teams for all of eternity to the celtics. problem solved.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2022, 08:22:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
There is nothing wrong with the system in place, however I do think they could make a rule that if you win the top pick, you can't get it again for 5 years or something like that.  So it would at least curb some of the incentive.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip