Author Topic: Sixers' Bench  (Read 4443 times)

Sixers' Bench
« on: October 21, 2022, 10:06:33 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Played Harden 40 minutes and PJ Tucker 39 last night, and lost again. Not a lot of trust in that bench. Tucker will turn 38 this year.

I heard a lot of chatter in the off-season about how much Philly improved its bench. Doc doesn’t seem to agree.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 04:13:53 PM by Redz »

Re: Sixers bench
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 10:34:38 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Stating the obvious but the Sixers to me just feel so dependent on Embiid and Harden. Like to an extreme level. If even 1 guy is missing or struggles in a game, the team struggles. Harden's off to a great start and they are 0-2. Lack of bench but even in their starting unit, I'm not sure there's that "3rd guy"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 10:54:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Stating the obvious but the Sixers to me just feel so dependent on Embiid and Harden. Like to an extreme level. If even 1 guy is missing or struggles in a game, the team struggles. Harden's off to a great start and they are 0-2. Lack of bench but even in their starting unit, I'm not sure there's that "3rd guy"
Maxey is pretty clearly a solid 3rd option and Harris is a quality 4th option. 

Embiid just hasn't played well.  That is the Sixers main issue thus far. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 11:08:18 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

My understanding is that Philly did not think that they could win with Harden playing like this. He is supposed to focus more on enabling Embiid, Maxey and Harris, and playing better defensively. So, he's posting numbers, but he's not making his team work. I don't think they are a threat if he keeps playing this way.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 11:09:27 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Their bench will be their downfall
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 11:13:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

My understanding is that Philly did not think that they could win with Harden playing like this. He is supposed to focus more on enabling Embiid, Maxey and Harris, and playing better defensively. So, he's posting numbers, but he's not making his team work. I don't think they are a threat if he keeps playing this way.
Harden has taken 1 less shot than Embiid, but has scored 25 more points.  Harden isn't the problem, Embiid is. 

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 12:21:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
The craziest thing about last night was their fans booing Embid. That seemed a bit much.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 12:31:10 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Harden has taken 1 less shot than Embiid, but has scored 25 more points.  Harden isn't the problem, Embiid is.

Basketball is a bit more complicated than that. How a point guard plays impacts how your #1 option operates in an offense. Some of this is on Embiid, but some of it is on Harden to make it easier for him.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 12:48:29 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Basketball is a bit more complicated than that. How a point guard plays impacts how your #1 option operates in an offense. Some of this is on Embiid, but some of it is on Harden to make it easier for him.
Harden is averaging 8 apg as well as 8 rpg.  He is 16 of 16 from the line.  He is 16 of 22 from 2 point range (72.7%) and 6 of 16 from 3 point range (37.5%).  He has 5 turnovers total (so 2.5 per game), which is pretty good given how much he has had the ball. Per 100 possessions, the Sixers are +3.9 with Harden in the game and his on/off differential is +42.7.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way Harden has played. 

Embiid on the other hand has been awful.  The Sixers are -15.4 per 100 possessions with him on the floor and his on/off differential is -43.5.  He is 13 of 30 from 2 point range (43.3%) and 2 of 9 from 3 point range (22.2%).  He is rebounding well at 13.5 rpg, but hasn't done much else and has 10 turnovers (5 per) in the 2 games.  I'm sure Embiid has had a worse 2 game stretch in his career, but right now this is the worst season averages he has ever had almost all the way across the board (aside from rpg).  I'm not going to say Embiid is solely the reason they are 0-2, but he is BY FAR the most significant reason they are 0-2. 

And given the Sixers have played only 96 minutes total, the on/off numbers are incredible since Harden has played 78 minutes and Embiid 73.  So even if the entire 96 minutes they always had at least 1 on the floor, they have played at least 55 minutes together. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 12:54:18 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 01:24:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
It's Harden's style of play that is the issue. Doc wants him playing within the system as a set up man for a #1 scoring option big man. He doesn't want prime Houston Harden, which he is getting. He wants a less ball dominant, more ball movement, better defending Harden.

Doc wants Garden to be a guy that will go for 20 points and 11-12 assists while playing good defense, not the 28 points, 8 assist ball dominating guy that gives all his energy to the offensive side of the ball.

If Doc has a system in place where everyone else is playing one style, expecting passes on the regular from Harden and Harden is playing outside the system being....well, Hardenesque....that's a major problem.

I'm not going to say it's the reason Philly is 0-2. I think they simply got beat by better overall teams, but if Harden doesn't confirm to what Doc wants, his play will become an issue at some point this year. Let's face it, Harden's style has never been conducive to winning playoff basketball and he generally wears out his welcome with other high level players because Harden's game is all about him. Without a change in Harden's ways, Philly will once again be looking in from the outside once the ECFs and Finals are being played.

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 02:13:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
It's Harden's style of play that is the issue. Doc wants him playing within the system as a set up man for a #1 scoring option big man. He doesn't want prime Houston Harden, which he is getting. He wants a less ball dominant, more ball movement, better defending Harden.

Doc wants Garden to be a guy that will go for 20 points and 11-12 assists while playing good defense, not the 28 points, 8 assist ball dominating guy that gives all his energy to the offensive side of the ball.

If Doc has a system in place where everyone else is playing one style, expecting passes on the regular from Harden and Harden is playing outside the system being....well, Hardenesque....that's a major problem.

I'm not going to say it's the reason Philly is 0-2. I think they simply got beat by better overall teams, but if Harden doesn't confirm to what Doc wants, his play will become an issue at some point this year. Let's face it, Harden's style has never been conducive to winning playoff basketball and he generally wears out his welcome with other high level players because Harden's game is all about him. Without a change in Harden's ways, Philly will once again be looking in from the outside once the ECFs and Finals are being played.

Embid refused to talk to the media after last nights game, which is unusual. Some speculate he is frustrated with the brand of basketball.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 08:49:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Embiid makes it difficult for himself. He can't predict double teams nor pass out of them easily, he settles for jump-shots, and he flops for fouls which gets him out of good position on both ends
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 09:46:29 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

except the Sixers have been awful when Harden has been on the bench this year.   So unless the argument is that Harden throws the whole team so out of whack that they can't function without him, I just don't see it.

Embiid has been awful.  He isn't in shape and is playing poorly.  To me, it seems like the reason that Harden has been a bit more aggressive is that Embiid has been so bad.  This is clear when Embiid is in the game and Harden isn't. 

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2022, 09:51:45 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I just watched Game 1 and it seems to me that Embiid hasn't grown or improved much at all in the last few years.  Sure, when he's in the lane he's pretty unstoppable.  But outside of the lane,  he's a detriment to the team.  Go ahead Joel, take a few more 3's.  Please.

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2022, 11:30:05 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
if the 76ers are gonna rely on Harden to dribble all game---it's gonna be a long season for them, Welcome to Loserville Doc.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.