Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 283518 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #2700 on: March 23, 2023, 07:01:18 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 411
Celtics losing to Orlando 3 times will cost them #1 seed, also losing to Houston, Utah..seem this team doesnt get ready to play against bad teams
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2701 on: March 23, 2023, 07:25:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Celtics losing to Orlando 3 times will cost them #1 seed, also losing to Houston, Utah..seem this team doesnt get ready to play against bad teams

I was surprised to learn this, but against the bottom-five (Charlotte, Detroit, Houston, Orlando, San Antonio) the difference isn't huge:

Milwaukee:  10-3
Boston:  11-4

Obviously, that one extra loss could be gigantic, and those teams are so bad that we shouldn't be losing to them, but there's not a very large gap between us and the Bucks.

I'd also like to see which contenders have the most 15+ point leads blown, or double-digit leads blown in the second half / fourth quarter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2702 on: March 23, 2023, 08:32:29 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I saw the media describe this quote as "throwing shade" at Lebron.  I was characterized as SGA saying he "didn't like" Lebron:

Quote from: SGA
“I never liked [LeBron's] game. To me, when I was younger he was just super athletic, I wasn't that. He was 6'8", and super strong and I wasn't that either.”

To me, that suggests that SGA didn't bother trying to emulate Lebron, because of body type.  I don't see it as a show of disrespect.

That's twice I've defended Lebron in the past few pages, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2703 on: March 23, 2023, 08:52:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858

I was surprised to learn this, but against the bottom-five (Charlotte, Detroit, Houston, Orlando, San Antonio) the difference isn't huge:

Obviously, that one extra loss could be gigantic, and those teams are so bad that we shouldn't be losing to them, but there's not a very large gap between us and the Bucks.

I'd also like to see which contenders have the most 15+ point leads blown, or double-digit leads blown in the second half / fourth quarter.

Good perspective.

It always seems like it was a huge loss when you lose a game to a bottom team.  And those 4 losses, whether the Bucks lost 3 or not, are still losses that could have been wins.

The 2 seed means we likely have to beat both PHI and MIL.  That will be tough.

« Reply #2704 on: March 23, 2023, 09:13:47 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
The Bucks and Sixers always seem to hold big leads and as a result, Giannis + Embiid aren't playing heavy minutes and typically resting most of the 2nd half. That's something I wish we could do more often, but sadly we seem to blow a ton of leads, or make blowout wins turn into heart attacks in the final minutes constantly even against bad teams
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2705 on: March 23, 2023, 10:35:19 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 973

Good perspective.

It always seems like it was a huge loss when you lose a game to a bottom team.  And those 4 losses, whether the Bucks lost 3 or not, are still losses that could have been wins.

The 2 seed means we likely have to beat both PHI and MIL.  That will be tough.

The East is tough, regardless.  It clearly has three of the best four teams, and you could easily argue that it has the three best teams, period.  Also, for whatever reason, the Celtics seem to play better against Philly than Cleveland, so the 2-seed might still be better for this team than the 1-seed, even if the on-paper matchup looks worse having to play both Philly and Milwaukee.  There's going to be a championship-caliber team that doesn't make it out of the second round in this conference, and another that doesn't make it to the finals.  Hopefully neither of those teams is the Celtics, but the playoffs are going to be tough regardless of seed.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 10:42:30 AM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #2706 on: March 23, 2023, 11:19:22 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1408
The mighty Jazz on the verge of losing to the Blazers. Makes that Celtics loss to Utah even sadder.

Kind of weird comment. They beat the kings right after us. And we blew out the kings after that. It was a bad loss, but on the road and they are feisty. Let’s not harp on it. We are starting to play well.

I wasn't factoring in any Kings games; I just saw it as: "Boston lost to a mediocre Jazz team, and the Jazz lost to a fairly bad Blazers team that Boston recently beat by 22, so why couldn't Boston beat Utah?"

Did you factor in that the C’s were missing 3 of their 5 starters?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2707 on: March 23, 2023, 11:40:18 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
The transitive property has never worked in sports. 

« Reply #2708 on: March 23, 2023, 12:39:38 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Multiple people saying the transitive property "never" works in sports. "Never" seems a bit strong, given that it actually has worked at times.

As for Boston missing 3 of 5 starters, Rob's been out almost the entire year, so I don't think it's fair to count his absence—Boston's won plenty of games this year without Rob, and against better competition. Besides, Boston still had Tatum, Brown, Brogdon, and White, which is more talent than Utah has. Boston needed only one more bucket to win that game, and should've been able to do that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2709 on: March 23, 2023, 08:59:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148
That Orlando team is good.

« Reply #2710 on: March 23, 2023, 09:53:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
What an amazing comeback for Cleveland! Mitchell pulled a GWill and miss the tying free throw, only for a scramble to happen and it lead to an Okoro three to go up two!

I'm not mad at this result. This will push Brooklyn into 7th and Miami into 6th.

And at this point, I'll play Philly over Cleveland.

« Reply #2711 on: March 23, 2023, 10:08:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
What an amazing comeback for Cleveland! Mitchell pulled a GWill and miss the tying free throw, only for a scramble to happen and it lead to an Okoro three to go up two!

I'm not mad at this result. This will push Brooklyn into 7th and Miami into 6th.

Yeah that’s huge. Nets-Heat also play each other this Saturday night at Miami. I think Miami ultimately will be the 6 seed and BKN the 7.

Good for us. I still fear Miami way more than any of BKN/ATL and despite blowing a 28-point lead against BKN recently, I’m confident we can squash them in a series. Nets have regressed but also come playoff time I think the lack of that alpha will hurt BKN especially in close games. Bridges is awesome but he’s not a superstar (yet)

« Reply #2712 on: March 23, 2023, 10:09:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
Had a feeling the Cavs would come back, made quite the profit on that one.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2713 on: March 23, 2023, 10:10:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Multiple people saying the transitive property "never" works in sports. "Never" seems a bit strong, given that it actually has worked at times.

As for Boston missing 3 of 5 starters, Rob's been out almost the entire year, so I don't think it's fair to count his absence—Boston's won plenty of games this year without Rob, and against better competition. Besides, Boston still had Tatum, Brown, Brogdon, and White, which is more talent than Utah has. Boston needed only one more bucket to win that game, and should've been able to do that.

If we go by “transitive property” you can make a case a team like Charlotte is the best in the league because they “beat this team, who beat this other team, who beat this other team”, etc  :P

« Reply #2714 on: March 23, 2023, 10:13:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Not to mention Mitchell got the rebound and missed two point blank shots at the rim (he was hacked on the first one). I was hoping they would lose just because it would have been kharma for Grant.