Author Topic: NBA Season 2022-23  (Read 293463 times)

Re: NBA Season 2022-23
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2022, 07:11:41 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Man, Both of these teams suck pretty bad.
Bucks are unimpressive without Middleton. A good team but no contender. Pretty ugly to watch with how one dimensional they are without him.

« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2022, 07:51:27 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Bucks are unimpressive without Middleton. A good team but no contender. Pretty ugly to watch with how one dimensional they are without him.

Maybe it's recency bias, but I think if both teams are healthy, celtics are ahead of both teams this year.

« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2022, 08:49:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
They definitely need Middleton to be a championship level team because he is the only guy aside from Giannis that can consistently generate offense for both himself and others.  The Bucks were also down Connaughton and they do actually need his shooting and overall pesky play to really click.  That doesn't even account for Ingles who they obviously knew would be out awhile. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2022, 08:58:49 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
LAL shouldn't even play Westbrook. Just drop him from the team. They'll be better off without him.

« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2022, 09:00:40 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
John Wall looking like at least 70% of his former self in terms of explosiveness

Yeh. He looked pretty stiff.  But he still managed to put some points on the board.
Yup

« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2022, 09:03:19 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The end of that game was bizarre.  Looked like the Lakers were very content to throw in the towel down 4 with 30 seconds to go.  They played D for the whole shot clock instead of sending someone to the line.  Like they knew they weren’t going to hit any 3’s down the other end so why bother.  Very strange team.
Yup

« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2022, 09:03:56 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
They definitely need Middleton to be a championship level team because he is the only guy aside from Giannis that can consistently generate offense for both himself and others.  The Bucks were also down Connaughton and they do actually need his shooting and overall pesky play to really click.  That doesn't even account for Ingles who they obviously knew would be out awhile.

I think Jrue can also consistently generate offense for himself and others.  Ideally he's the 3rd man, putting in 16 to 18 ppg, rather than being called upon to be the second scorer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2022, 09:14:52 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
LAL shouldn't even play Westbrook. Just drop him from the team. They'll be better off without him.
0-11 including 0-6 from 3.  2 points in 27 minutes.  Lakers don't have nearly enough assets to move his contract to any other team.

« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2022, 09:30:41 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
0-11 including 0-6 from 3.  2 points in 27 minutes.  Lakers don't have nearly enough assets to move his contract to any other team.
The problem isn't Westbrook. Darvin Ham should not allow him to shoot from 3 that much. He knew coming into the job that Westbrook was shooting too much. Nothing has changed for this team.

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2022, 09:48:50 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I think Jrue can also consistently generate offense for himself and others.  Ideally he's the 3rd man, putting in 16 to 18 ppg, rather than being called upon to be the second scorer.
I don't think Jrue consistently generates for himself.  He can certainly do it, but I don't think he is a guy that you can give the ball to and get out of the way and he gets a good look 90+% of the time.  So yeah, he is a 3rd scorer type because that is typically what those guys are.  I think he and Brogdon are pretty similar in that regard.  Really solid 3rd scoring options. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2022, 10:14:22 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
The problem isn't Westbrook. Darvin Ham should not allow him to shoot from 3 that much. He knew coming into the job that Westbrook was shooting too much. Nothing has changed for this team.

I was just going to write that. What is Ham doing? Lakers had 45 attempts from 3pt making only 9. Does he not realize that his team is lacking the shooters for that type of strategy to work. Clippers on the other hand only took 29. Just terrible coaching by the LAL.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2022, 10:27:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I was just going to write that. What is Ham doing? Lakers had 45 attempts from 3pt making only 9. Does he not realize that his team is lacking the shooters for that type of strategy to work. Clippers on the other hand only took 29. Just terrible coaching by the LAL.
no disagreement on terrible coaching/offense by LAL but only getting 2 points out of Westbrook in 27 minutes is horrible regardless of the offensive scheme.  no way he should be laying a complete goose egg on offense outside of a couple of FTs.   

« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2022, 10:33:33 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

You think Russell Westbrook listens to Darvin Ham?  Darvin Ham can’t “allow” Westbrook to do anything.  He had him come off the bench for a single pre-season game, and Westbrook started blaming Ham for getting hurt because apparently Westbrook doesn’t know how to properly stretch.  Unless and until LeBron says it’s okay to banish Westbrook from the team, he’s going to play when and how he wants to play, which includes bricking a ton of 3s.  And defenses are going to give him, and most of the Lakers, that shot all night long, making it harder to find room to operate closer to the basket.

« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2022, 10:37:45 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
As much as I want to clown on the Lakers, I'm not sure why Westbrook keeps being defended by folks either. The guy went 0-11 shooting yesterday. And he missed some good open looks too. I'm not sure how that has anything to do with coaching or scheme. He's been with LAL for over a year and frankly it sounds like he isn't even trying to adjust.

Westbrook wasn't a good fit in LA but I think there's a case to be made that Westbrook isn't even trying to adjust either. His comments about the rumors/reports of him coming off the bench also sounded like a guy who didn't want to do that even if it means helping the team.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #149 on: October 21, 2022, 10:49:51 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
As much as I want to clown on the Lakers, I'm not sure why Westbrook keeps being defended by folks either. The guy went 0-11 shooting yesterday. And he missed some good open looks too. I'm not sure how that has anything to do with coaching or scheme. He's been with LAL for over a year and frankly it sounds like he isn't even trying to adjust.

Westbrook wasn't a good fit in LA but I think there's a case to be made that Westbrook isn't even trying to adjust either. His comments about the rumors/reports of him coming off the bench also sounded like a guy who didn't want to do that even if it means helping the team.

Westbrook has been a bad fit on every team he’s gone to since OKC. He can’t play off ball and like you said, doesn’t seem interested in trying to adjust.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.