Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 62139 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #465 on: March 23, 2023, 10:19:07 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Jay King: Danilo Gallinari said a playoff return is “still in my head” but he doesn’t know if he’ll be able to actually do it. Said he’s on schedule with his rehab but still has “a long way to go.”

There’s 9 games left but even if he is cleared can the team even trust him to just go in and play some high intensity playoff minutes?

Applaud the effort but I don’t see it happening
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #466 on: March 25, 2023, 12:19:02 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
There was a point when Jaylen Brown wasn’t sure whether the Celtics would keep him, or swap him for Kevin Durant.

Durant and Tatum are friends and spent time working out together last year. Brown’s name was floated in trade rumors more than once.

Brown, Jayson Tatum, and Brad Stevens arranged a three-way call to talk about the direction of the franchise, Brown told The Ringer’s Logan Murdock. All three parties were on the same page by the end of the call, Brown said.

On Friday night, Tatum told reporters about his message to Brown during that call.

“Just reassuring the obvious, that we need him,” Tatum said. “That he’s a big part of this team, this franchise. Without him, we can’t reach our goal. You guys know that. The world knows that. The team knows that. We need him to be the best version of ourselves.”
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #467 on: March 25, 2023, 12:29:44 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Jay King: Danilo Gallinari said a playoff return is “still in my head” but he doesn’t know if he’ll be able to actually do it. Said he’s on schedule with his rehab but still has “a long way to go.”

There’s 9 games left but even if he is cleared can the team even trust him to just go in and play some high intensity playoff minutes?

I’d love to see him get in for 5-10 minutes during the last game of the season vs. Atlanta, when likely many players will be resting, but even if he is back, there is no chance of him being a playoff contributor.  He won’t even dress on nights when everyone else is healthy.  But it’d be a great story just for him to get out there for a couple of minutes — I know that would amp up the rest of the team, as they’ve seen him working so hard to get back.

« Reply #468 on: March 25, 2023, 12:30:04 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

He’s definitely not going to be ready for the playoffs and the Celtics social media posts of him doing minimal basketball activity with a caption of “soon” are just annoying

« Reply #469 on: March 25, 2023, 01:22:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

I’d love to see him get in for 5-10 minutes during the last game of the season vs. Atlanta, when likely many players will be resting, but even if he is back, there is no chance of him being a playoff contributor.  He won’t even dress on nights when everyone else is healthy.  But it’d be a great story just for him to get out there for a couple of minutes — I know that would amp up the rest of the team, as they’ve seen him working so hard to get back.

So I'll be honest, if Gallinari is able to come back by say, the 2nd round of the playoffs, then sure I wouldn't mind at least putting him out there during blowouts, or maybe just 5-7 minutes a game to give others rest. If he's able to contribute and is willing, sure. But they can't be relying on him in a real role. We're better off just letting Hauser and Muscala come off the bench for those spurts.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #470 on: March 25, 2023, 03:17:43 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
The levitation, the wild passes, the genius reads, it’s all coming together for Rob Williams in his second game back from a hamstring injury. He had three blocks and three steals in just 15 minutes off the bench in the Celtics’ 120-95 win over the Pacers, but he gives his team the freedom to play however it wants when he’s out there. “Yeah, he covers up a lot of mistakes, flying around, it’s fun out there to play with him,” Derrick White said. “You never really know where he is. He’s just getting his feet underneath him, so he’s going to be better and better each game.” - via Jared Weiss @ The Athletic

“Rob just has an intangible where guys just feel protected because of his ability to do that,” Joe Mazzulla said. “And so it definitely ups our guys’ intensity defensively.” “(He’s) essentially like a safety net,” Tatum said. “Knowing that you’ve got him protecting the rim, blocking shots, altering shots, deterring guys away from attacking.”  – via Jared Weiss @ The Athletic

Tom Orsborn: Tre Jones is eager to see Derrick White: “I learned a lot from D White. His defense is the key thing, but he plays the right way overall. We knew he would help the Celtics a lot…He’s super unselfish and he is a great teammate, someone who is super real and just a good friend.”  – via Twitter tom_orsborn

At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #471 on: March 25, 2023, 04:24:08 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

So I'll be honest, if Gallinari is able to come back by say, the 2nd round of the playoffs, then sure I wouldn't mind at least putting him out there during blowouts, or maybe just 5-7 minutes a game to give others rest. If he's able to contribute and is willing, sure. But they can't be relying on him in a real role. We're better off just letting Hauser and Muscala come off the bench for those spurts.
Docs may say he's healthy, and he may feel fine, but he will not have his wind back. That takes weeks of NBA-level PT.

« Reply #472 on: March 25, 2023, 05:57:51 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
There was a point when Jaylen Brown wasn’t sure whether the Celtics would keep him, or swap him for Kevin Durant.

Durant and Tatum are friends and spent time working out together last year. Brown’s name was floated in trade rumors more than once.

Brown, Jayson Tatum, and Brad Stevens arranged a three-way call to talk about the direction of the franchise, Brown told The Ringer’s Logan Murdock. All three parties were on the same page by the end of the call, Brown said.

On Friday night, Tatum told reporters about his message to Brown during that call.

“Just reassuring the obvious, that we need him,” Tatum said. “That he’s a big part of this team, this franchise. Without him, we can’t reach our goal. You guys know that. The world knows that. The team knows that. We need him to be the best version of ourselves.”

Reassuring to teammates on the court, I’m sure. At the same time, when he went to the floor last night (you know when I mean), Celtics nation gasped and heaved relief when he quickly got up. But as much as he alleviates anxiety - he creates it.

« Reply #473 on: March 27, 2023, 03:36:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Jaylen named East player of the week

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #474 on: March 27, 2023, 03:55:14 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK

He’s definitely not going to be ready for the playoffs and the Celtics social media posts of him doing minimal basketball activity with a caption of “soon” are just annoying

LOL

« Reply #475 on: March 27, 2023, 04:14:15 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Marc Stein: Brandon Ingram and Jaylen Brown were just named West and East Player of the Week by the NBA. More NBA from me: marcstein.substack.com – via Twitter TheSteinLine

Draft Class buddies....

« Reply #476 on: March 27, 2023, 04:28:23 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Marc Stein: Brandon Ingram and Jaylen Brown were just named West and East Player of the Week by the NBA. More NBA from me: marcstein.substack.com – via Twitter TheSteinLine

Draft Class buddies....

Ben Simmons:  3 x Player of the Week
Brandon Ingram: 4 x Player of the Week
JB: 3 x Player of the Week

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #477 on: March 29, 2023, 03:46:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I ran into Brad Stevens at Ronald Reagan airport this morning, passing through security.  I was at Washington game last night (sad face emoji).

About the game last night:  "Good thing we have tomorrow to look forward to!"

Also told him I thought he was doing a terrific job, and he thanked me.

Very nice and genuine guy.

« Reply #478 on: March 29, 2023, 03:53:16 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I ran into Brad Stevens at Ronald Reagan airport this morning, passing through security.  I was at Washington game last night (sad face emoji).

That’s awesome.

« Reply #479 on: March 29, 2023, 04:05:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Misread and thought you'd said you met Brad Stevens and Ronald Reagan. Thought this was the start of a very weird dream sequence.

That's very cool though. He does seem like a genuinely good person
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)