Author Topic: Draymond may get suspended  (Read 11991 times)

Re: Draymond may get suspended
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2022, 09:35:50 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I just watched the video.  Assault charges should be filed and he should be sued for millions.

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2022, 12:55:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Jordan Poole is a pro athlete 6’4” - bigger and stronger than most people. But his head is just like yours and mine. DG is about as big and strong as it gets. A full blow from a guy like that to a head can kill.  Certainly can cause a concussion or badly damage a face.  2020’s is where we are - we can’t punch people in the head because we’re mad. And if you own a 6’6”  240 pound body of muscle you have to have some awareness of what you are capable of.
Yep exactly. The idea this happens all the time is ludicrous. We would have players getting concussions regularly.

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2022, 02:54:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Warriors just had a press with Draymond Green addressing the issue. Offers a ton of apologies and to Poole's family and self-reflect stating he failed as a leader, as a man and failed his team and Poole. Stated he will step away for a few days.

Well DG, I think you can start by stepping away from the NBA entirely. You are too dangerous and violent to be playing a basketball game. Your history shows it...not to your teammates but to opposing teams as well.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2022, 03:05:50 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Probably a terrible comparison, but I played in a pickup game for 30 years and can’t recall a single serious swing.  Normally I wouldn’t make the comp to pros, but DG wasn’t even playing. I get that the intensity and physicality of professional players during games and practices is beyond anything I’ve experienced, but what DG was doing at the time of the attack was far from being in the throes of high level competition.  Not a minor incident. Evidence of a giant who hasn’t grown up.

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2022, 03:08:29 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I find the reaction to this incident so embarrassing, that I lose a little bit of respect for pro sports. Wondering "who is the snitch" is that leaked the video? Violently assault your coworker and don't get suspended?

I don't really care what's "normal". There's borderline stuff and then there's this. Draymond instigated and he committed a violent assault & battery all caught on camera. He should be out for a long time, if not out of a job. Every adult human being with a job can meet a higher standard.

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2022, 03:09:53 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Mainly the Warriors were handling this internally and now they have to get their hands forced because someone leaked the video.

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2022, 04:12:37 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
In Draymond’s defence I think the impulse is perfectly natural if you’re forced to be in the same room as a 22 year old for hours on end.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2022, 04:19:37 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I find the reaction to this incident so embarrassing, that I lose a little bit of respect for pro sports. Wondering "who is the snitch" is that leaked the video? Violently assault your coworker and don't get suspended?

I don't really care what's "normal". There's borderline stuff and then there's this. Draymond instigated and he committed a violent assault & battery all caught on camera. He should be out for a long time, if not out of a job. Every adult human being with a job can meet a higher standard.

I completely agree.

After the players reaction at Robert Sarver’s suspension, isn’t it hypocritical to have no public opinion on Draymond sucker punching an NBA player?

Can you imagine the public outrage of fans and players alike if the footage was Joe Lacob punching Jordan Poole?
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2022, 05:39:45 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

I completely agree.

After the players reaction at Robert Sarver’s suspension, isn’t it hypocritical to have no public opinion on Draymond sucker punching an NBA player?

Can you imagine the public outrage of fans and players alike if the footage was Joe Lacob punching Jordan Poole?

I can, and it would be rightfully worse, because they aren’t all that comparable situations.  What Draymond did was obviously wrong, what Sarver did was obviously worse, and there’s no need for hyperbolic hypotheticals.

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2022, 05:57:47 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

I completely agree.

I can, and it would be rightfully worse, because they aren’t all that comparable situations.  What Draymond did was obviously wrong, what Sarver did was obviously worse, and there’s no need for hyperbolic hypotheticals.

Yes, there is definitely no need for exaggeration on a theoretical forum, I can’t imagine your personal distress at some of CelticsStrong’s hyperbolic trade ideas…one cannot forget these are human lives we are playing with.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2022, 07:17:33 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

I completely agree.

The underlying point seemed quite valid to me. We’re seeing owners and coaches suffer severe, career ending repercussions for their behaviors. Draymond committed a (proven) felony assault against a coworker and it was to be swept entirely under the rug. Which offenses are worst wasn’t the point of the comparison.

If Draymond doesn’t serve a severe suspension and possible criminal charges then the team/league is protecting the on-court products over their supposed morals— full stop.

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2022, 08:05:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If Draymond doesn’t serve a severe suspension and possible criminal charges then the team/league is protecting the on-court products over their supposed morals— full stop.

It is not morals. It is PR.

---------------------------------------------------

Rambling on ...

So much of this nonsense is fake morality as a form of virtue signaling. Showing how good of a person you are by how willing you to severely punish whatever offense occured. The larger the punishment the more moral a human being you are. The better the human being you are.

Whether that is the one doing the punishing (team owners, league front office) or folks calling for more severe punishments (fans on social media).

"I prove how good of a person I am by showing everyone how severe a punishment I'd give this other person" and the punishments just keep escalating and escalating ... to the point they are no longer connected the original offense / crime. It is not about the offense. It is about the virtue signalling of morality for the punishers and the mob foaming at the mouth calling for more punishment.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 08:17:34 PM by Who »

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2022, 08:38:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Have people not been on teams where stuff like this happens? Where arguments break out between teammates? Where arguments turn into fights which punches thrown? Usually over as quickly as they started after being broken up by others, like Draymond & Poole was. Sometimes the fights can be vicious. It happens.

Heated arguments are common. Fights are rare. Vicious ones even rarer. But they happen.

You apologize. You shake hands. You move on.

------------------------------------

It is not a big deal. Yes it is bad but it is not a big deal. It was not when MJ punched Kerr or KG punched Wally Szczerbiak. Guys shook it off, agreed to put it behind them and went back to work. Afterwards they played together for a long time and had success together.

This is not a major situation. It is a bad situation that is relatively minor. You apologize. You shake hands. You agree to put it behind you and you move on.

------------------------------

If Poole is unsatisfied with this, he can demand more action either from the team or by filing charges with the police. But that his decision to make. But 99.9% of the time, the apology and hand shake is enough to put things to bed. 

Stuff happens. Life is messy.

Most things like this have simple solutions that not require major interventions / punishments. No need to sensationalize them and push them to extremes.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 08:45:09 PM by Who »

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2022, 09:09:43 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Have people not been on teams where stuff like this happens? Where arguments break out between teammates? Where arguments turn into fights which punches thrown? Usually over as quickly as they started after being broken up by others, like Draymond & Poole was. Sometimes the fights can be vicious. It happens.

Heated arguments are common. Fights are rare. Vicious ones even rarer. But they happen.

You apologize. You shake hands. You move on.

------------------------------------

It is not a big deal. Yes it is bad but it is not a big deal. It was not when MJ punched Kerr or KG punched Wally Szczerbiak. Guys shook it off, agreed to put it behind them and went back to work. Afterwards they played together for a long time and had success together.

This is not a major situation. It is a bad situation that is relatively minor. You apologize. You shake hands. You agree to put it behind you and you move on.

------------------------------

If Poole is unsatisfied with this, he can demand more action either from the team or by filing charges with the police. But that his decision to make. But 99.9% of the time, the apology and hand shake is enough to put things to bed. 

Stuff happens. Life is messy.

Most things like this have simple solutions that not require major interventions / punishments. No need to sensationalize them and push them to extremes.

Hard for me to answer this as I haven’t been on a team as an adult.

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2022, 09:50:09 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff

It is not morals. It is PR.

---------------------------------------------------

Rambling on ...

So much of this nonsense is fake morality as a form of virtue signaling. Showing how good of a person you are by how willing you to severely punish whatever offense occured. The larger the punishment the more moral a human being you are. The better the human being you are.

Whether that is the one doing the punishing (team owners, league front office) or folks calling for more severe punishments (fans on social media).

"I prove how good of a person I am by showing everyone how severe a punishment I'd give this other person" and the punishments just keep escalating and escalating ... to the point they are no longer connected the original offense / crime. It is not about the offense. It is about the virtue signalling of morality for the punishers and the mob foaming at the mouth calling for more punishment.

I can certainly acknowledge that virtue signaling exists, but I don't see it as a useful argument on its own. Maybe in the most absurd cases, but any point of view can be accused of signaling at any time, not just limited to woke "virtue". Included in this is *calling out* virtue signaling, which can be a way of positioning yourself as the realist, the honest, the worldly, the experienced, etc. We could go in circles all day supposing that the other guy is being dishonest. It doesn't accomplish much beyond a signaling contest.

Same thing with "cancel culture". Yup, the mob mentality exists, it's a problem, but it's become an excuse of its own.

Sarver, Udoka and Green all deserve to lose their jobs. So did Donald Sterling. So did Harvey Weinstein.

In the NBA, there's some small precedent for punching people in the face. I get it. "It's part of the game". That doesn't mean you're the morality police if you think it's bull, and that pro athletes don't need to be coddled through committing felonies just because it's happened before. Precedent as a morality argument is a trainwreck for obvious reasons.

It's like there's an insinuation that the ones calling for punishment are being sensitive babies. Nah. Draymond Green is a child, who threw a violent tantrum. I have minimal respect for him as a human being, because his basketball skills just aren't that special compared to every other working adult who doesn't get to pull this kind of (junk). Personal responsibility and all.