Author Topic: Tim Donoghy Netflix Documentary  (Read 3741 times)

Tim Donoghy Netflix Documentary
« on: August 30, 2022, 05:12:31 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Netflix covers the Tim Donahy story, pretty interesting and worth the watch.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Tim Donoghy Netflix documentary
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 06:42:32 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Just curious if anyone has watched this and what they thought, especially given all the conspiracy theory talk that went on throughout the playoffs.

Donoghys viewpoint in this is well documented and there was no big surprises from that perspective.  It was interesting though hearing what the FBI agents had to say about the NBAs behavior during the investigation.  Namely David Stern trying to offer the lead agent a job in the middle of the investigation, which sounded shady as hell
Greg

Re: Tim Donoghy Netflix documentary
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 09:41:04 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
JSD posted about it yesterday.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=107073.msg3078907#msg3078907

I got half way through last night but fell asleep (not that it was boring, just tired).  So far I was enjoying it, they definitely hit a couple of points I was hoping they'd talk about: Stern leaking the investigation to the press and I think they mentioned calls to Scott Foster (though was barely awake at that point).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 11:45:19 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I have not seen this yet. Might have to check it out.

I still think the biggest issue with Donoghy was not his gambling/fixing games, but that he was able to do those things while blending in with all the other referees. That tells me, a lot of referees were controlling/manipulating games too.

Re: Untold: Operation Flagrant Foul
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2022, 03:22:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Bump

Re: Tim Donoghy Netflix Documentary
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2022, 03:27:33 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Stern was a powerful guy, no doubt about that.

The documentary gives one perspective where it appears that stern flexed his muscle and made Donoghue The Fall Guy for what was a league wide issue of at least unethical behavior by dozens of referees gambling. Donoghue was going to wear a wire until the new story got leaked to the press… He got paid well to take the fall too

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2022, 06:59:13 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I just can’t get past Stern offering the lead investigator a job after FBI meets with the NBA to inform them of their investigation.  It’s not like it was ‘hey now that all this is over, how would you feel about working for us to help make sure this doesn’t happen again.’

It was, ‘umm hey, you know, If you’re looking for a job I could use someone like you’. Right after he’s told we have proof one of your officials is gambling on and fixing games and are launching an investigation to see how many more of your officials are dirty’.

Maybe I’m making a mountain out of a mole hill but that just stinks to high heaven to me.

Also, I knew Scott Fosters name was tied into this but I didn’t realize the frequency of phone calls between the two.  Really shady, tons of phone calls immediately before and after games and during halftime. 

It’s amazing that all this just got swept under the rug, but there’s congressional hearings about steroids
Greg

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 10:57:13 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have not seen this yet. Might have to check it out.

I still think the biggest issue with Donoghy was not his gambling/fixing games, but that he was able to do those things while blending in with all the other referees. That tells me, a lot of referees were controlling/manipulating games too.

Some of the bad calls one sees sometimes make one wonder if it is rigged some times.   We all know certain refs let grudges, star calls, affect their calls.   They sometimes  even get it wrong under a clear review.   Rules should be rules, applied equally regardless of star status.

It should surprise no one that he got away with it.   The NBA does not really hold refs accountable for their errors and bad calls, nor will they ever.   Their lame we got it wrong apologies after a mishap are absurd because the damage is already done.

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 12:17:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
Stern was a powerful guy, no doubt about that.

The documentary gives one perspective where it appears that stern flexed his muscle and made Donoghue The Fall Guy for what was a league wide issue of at least unethical behavior by dozens of referees gambling. Donoghue was going to wear a wire until the new story got leaked to the press… He got paid well to take the fall too

Yeah this was my take on it too. Did enjoy the doc. There were a lot of people saying there were no issues with the refs in the playoffs last year. Encourage those posters to watch this. It does happen.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 01:32:34 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Finally, Bill is joined by author and professor of criminology Sean Patrick Griffin to discuss the Netflix documentary, 'Untold: Operation Flagrant Foul,' how the film omits key information from the 2007 NBA betting scandal, and more (1:31:34).

Everyone interested in this case should check out Bill Simmons latest podcast where he is joined by criminologist, Sean Patrick Griffin, who covered the Donoghue story extensively.

They go hard at this documentary calling it Tim Donahue propaganda. I view the documentary in a different manner after hearing this podcast.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3u78dCwNFMCzXHSL3Fe65v?si=LxFo0S19R7qFGqZwBc40Rg