Author Topic: Trade Idea: Rudy Gay using TPE (short term replacement for Gallinari)  (Read 4255 times)

Re: Trade Idea: Rudy Gay using TPE (short term replacement for Gallinari)
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2022, 02:58:44 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Rudy Gay has 2 years left at $6.2M and $6.5M.  He would fit the Juancho Hernangomez TPE which expires in Jan 2023.  You would think that UTA would very much like to move that contract.  We should not have to give up anything to take him on.  But Ainge probably wants a pick for him.

As to what is left in his tank, I did not seen him play all that much last season.  I don't recall him being very good.  Utah probably figures they can just wait until someone is more desperate due to injury along the way.  No need to just give him away at this point.  Can always trade him later.

I'd take gay for a 2nd round pick. He no longer fits in Utah and that's probably all Danny can get for him.

At that money given his production, he should cost a 2nd round swap at most.

2nd round picks are for sale every year. If you can get a player that will help bring home a championship, you do it.

Sure, but Gay isn't that player.

The more playable vets on our bench the better.

The Jazz found him unplayable last season in the playoffs.

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2022, 03:37:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Rudy Gay has 2 years left at $6.2M and $6.5M.  He would fit the Juancho Hernangomez TPE which expires in Jan 2023.  You would think that UTA would very much like to move that contract.  We should not have to give up anything to take him on.  But Ainge probably wants a pick for him.

As to what is left in his tank, I did not seen him play all that much last season.  I don't recall him being very good.  Utah probably figures they can just wait until someone is more desperate due to injury along the way.  No need to just give him away at this point.  Can always trade him later.

I'd take gay for a 2nd round pick. He no longer fits in Utah and that's probably all Danny can get for him.

2nd round picks are for sale every year. If you can get a player that will help bring home a championship, you do it.

He'd be our 12th-13th man. I don't think we'd play him in the playoffs either but he'd help us get there fresher than last year.

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2022, 03:40:53 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He'd be our 12th-13th man. I don't think we'd play him in the playoffs either but he'd help us get there fresher than last year.

Is Wyc shelling out $35 million for a 13th man? Should he?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2022, 03:42:14 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

You don't pay $13 million in salary on top of massive luxury taxes and add in a pick for a player like that.

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2022, 04:29:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

You don't pay $13 million in salary on top of massive luxury taxes and add in a pick for a player like that.

If Rudy Gay is no better than 12th or 13th on our team, then no, you don't want him and you certainly don't give up assets to get him.  I don't know what happened in the playoff last season for Utah not to play him but through the regular season, he was playing nearly 20 min per game (9th most on the team).  His advanced stats had him as an "average" NBA player.  Average on a 15 man team is 7th or 8th best on the team, so 9th on a good team is about right.  In our case, I would want him to be the primary back up to Tatum, ahead of Hauser, ahead probably of Pritchard, in the mix with Gallinari or Grant, behind White and Brogdon.  Not at the end of the bench with Vonleh and Kornet.

If the Celtics have come to the conclusion that he is no better than 12th or 13th on the team, I can understand why they have not gotten him.

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2022, 04:48:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I would rather Dwight, Carmelo or cousins at this point.

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2022, 04:51:17 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

If Rudy Gay is no better than 12th or 13th on our team, then no, you don't want him and you certainly don't give up assets to get him.  I don't know what happened in the playoff last season for Utah not to play him but through the regular season, he was playing nearly 20 min per game (9th most on the team).  His advanced stats had him as an "average" NBA player.  Average on a 15 man team is 7th or 8th best on the team, so 9th on a good team is about right.  In our case, I would want him to be the primary back up to Tatum, ahead of Hauser, ahead probably of Pritchard, in the mix with Gallinari or Grant, behind White and Brogdon.  Not at the end of the bench with Vonleh and Kornet.

If the Celtics have come to the conclusion that he is no better than 12th or 13th on the team, I can understand why they have not gotten him.

Jaylen Brown
Jason Tatum
Al Horford
TIMELORD
Smart
Brogdon
D White
Grant Williams
Gallinari

Would Gay be the 10th man?

We have the sixth highest payroll. I'd send more to fill in anyone who might be useful. It's a long season.

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2022, 03:16:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
What about Jarred Vanderbilt?

He can't shoot so he'd be tough to play next to Timelord but he'd be a terrific backup big and I doubt he's in Utah's long term plans. Plus he makes about $4 mil a year.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2022, 07:19:19 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Jaylen Brown
Jason Tatum
Al Horford
TIMELORD
Smart
Brogdon
D White
Grant Williams
Gallinari

We have the sixth highest payroll. I'd send more to fill in anyone who might be useful. It's a long season.
Gallo out so he would be no lower than 9th. Depending on matchups, Gay could be ahead of White and/or Grant, so he would be in the 7th-9th range. Still the money kills the idea.

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2022, 10:21:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Jaylen Brown
Jason Tatum
Al Horford
TIMELORD
Smart
Brogdon
D White
Grant Williams
Gallinari

Gallo out so he would be no lower than 9th. Depending on matchups, Gay could be ahead of White and/or Grant, so he would be in the 7th-9th range. Still the money kills the idea.
Money only kills the idea if you don't think Boston is a real contender, because for a real contender money wouldn't kill the idea.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2022, 10:33:35 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Jaylen Brown
Jason Tatum
Al Horford
TIMELORD
Smart
Brogdon
D White
Grant Williams
Gallinari

Money only kills the idea if you don't think Boston is a real contender, because for a real contender money wouldn't kill the idea.

Agreed! Pony up!

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2022, 11:34:33 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I say Ainge would trade Gay to anyone for a second & get rid of his 2 year deal
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2022, 01:01:04 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I say Ainge would trade Gay to anyone for a second & get rid of his 2 year deal

Yea, the big appeal when it comes to Rudy is that he'd presumably be free but is probably still good enough to play a backup role while soaking up some more major minutes on random January/February nights when you're shorthanded.

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2022, 01:30:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Did people not think gay looked washed up last year?

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2022, 01:37:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Utah fans despise Rudy Gay and wanted him out the door before Gobert and Gay were even traded. Said he was a selfish player and doesn't defend anymore. It is remarkable the number of fans who hold contempt for him.

If we're going to use our TPEs we should try to get more of an impact player.