Author Topic: TD Garden Seating advice  (Read 69000 times)

TD Garden Seating advice
« on: August 24, 2022, 01:31:24 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Hello all,
It has been a while since I posted myself on this blog, it was back in the days when it was still CelticsBlog instead of Strong.

Anyways, after watching more than 1100 Celtics games, after 12 years without missing a  Celtics game its time to finally visit Boston! As I’m from the Netherlands it actually would have been easier to visit games with my family during the summer (like MLB season) as we have been on holiday in the states for a couple of times but always outside of NBA season.

As its finally time to watch some games in real life I’m looking for some advice when it comes to the TD garden seating plan, in general I hear/read that almost all seats are proper at TD Garden? That being said, couple of questions:
1)   Are there any sections to avoid for Celtics games and Bruins games?
2)   Any specific sections which offer great (value)views for Celtics and Bruins games
3)   Any difference between ball and hockey? Sometimes you read that sitting behind the goal during NHL game is not ideal?
4)   Best days for atmosphere, I assume Fridaynight is the best?
5)   Buying verified re-sale tickets via ticketmaster is 100% trustworthy I assume?
6)   Any other Boston tips as it will be my first time in the city (3/4 days)

From a budget perspective, as tickets are already quite expensive I guess ill be looking for balcony / upper bowl tickets.

For what its worth, im aiming (but planning can change):
Friday 3 March: Celtics VS Brooklyn: could be a great game depending how the season will go but should be good with good atmosphere
Saturday 4 March: Bruins VS Rangers: pretty good game on paper too, it’s an afternoon game which starts at 3 PM.
Sunday 5 March: Celtics vs Knicks: Sundaynight to make sure we beat 3/3 of the NY teams this weekend :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards
Sjors

Re: TD Garden Seating advice
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2022, 02:03:37 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You picked a really good weekend to go, I think.  Those Nets tickets will be a little pricey.

In general, my recommendation is that the closer you are to the center, the better.  I personally think that you get more bang for your purchasing buck in the first eight rows of the balcony than you do in loge seats, but everybody has a different preference.  I'd avoid being behind the basket / net, and I don't love the really high balcony seats (rows 13 through 15 particularly) but again, it all depends on what you're looking for.

And interesting seating choice can be the Club seats.  They're wider, more comfortable seats, and they're located in the center of the arena.  They include wait staff, which is a nice perk.  But, for premium games in particular, they do get pricey.

I don't know your budget, but there are a lot of great restaurants.  Check out the North End for italian food.  There are all kinds of great steakhouses, but I prefer Grill 23. 

If you're into touring the city at all, the Duck Boat Tours are usually fun and informative.  There's also a hop-on, hop-off trolley that's available that's very useful.  The same company does a Ghost Tour by trolley, which is decent, but not spectacular. 

Boston also has an okay aquarium that shows Imax nature features.  There's an Imax cinema downtown near the Boston Common.  Lots of folks like the Museum of Science.  You can also walk around the Harvard and MIT campuses, if that type of thing interests you.

Which part of the city are you staying in?  There's a lot of fairly new construction in the Seaport / waterfront area.  Three hotels I recommend are the Colonnade (Back Back), Marriott Copley Place (Back Bay), and the Intercontinental Hotel (Seaport district, Atlantic Ave).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2022, 09:22:57 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Anything is possible!
Thanks Roy.

Ye I think it should be a good weekend, i picked the weekend based on the nba/nhl schedule as I would like to see at least 2 celtics and 1 bruins games as close as possible to each other. The other possibility is 10-12 feb when its charlotte / capitals and grizzlies, also quite a good weekend but March fits my schedule a bit better.

In terms of budget it depends a bit on what its for.

For restaurants we are OK to spend so any tips are welcome :) hopefully the food is good in Boston, its definitely not in all cities in US.
For hotels, the hotels you mention are a bit pricy, so i believe we will go with something in the 100 - 200 EU per night range... we dont have accomodation booked but I think somewhere where we can walk to TD Garden is ideal, i believe that would be the city centre.
For the tickets i'm more looking in the around 150 USD range, so that would be balcony, but maybe we will pay a bit more to be in the lower rows.
If anybody else has some seating advice, please let me know! :)

Thanks! :)

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2022, 10:32:58 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Those tickets are going to be super expensive. I always try to go to a game where the C’s are playing a good team, but not a large market or a contender. Typically a good showing and the prices are more reasonable. Last game I went to was Celts vs Jazz and I was able to get decent seats in the mid/upper loge. Most balcony seats are not worth it, IMO.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Those tickets are going to be super expensive. I always try to go to a game where the C’s are playing a good team, but not a large market or a contender. Typically a good showing and the prices are more reasonable. Last game I went to was Celts vs Jazz and I was able to get decent seats in the mid/upper loge. Most balcony seats are not worth it, IMO.

Yeah, I'm skeptical he'll be able to find a lot of decent seats for the Brooklyn game for $150.  Hopefully he gets lucky when tickets go on sale.

I'm going to the Spurs games with my wife and kids.  Our criteria is a weekend game that we're very likely to win.  The kids don't handle losses well, even on TV, haha.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2022, 11:28:17 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Yeah, I'm skeptical he'll be able to find a lot of decent seats for the Brooklyn game for $150.  Hopefully he gets lucky when tickets go on sale.

I'm going to the Spurs games with my wife and kids.  Our criteria is a weekend game that we're very likely to win.  The kids don't handle losses well, even on TV, haha.

Feel like the Spurs always play the C’s on a Sunday afternoon…It does suck spending all that money on traveling expenses, food, tickets just to see them lose. Smart choice picking that game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 11:36:08 AM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Thanks Roy.

Ye I think it should be a good weekend, i picked the weekend based on the nba/nhl schedule as I would like to see at least 2 celtics and 1 bruins games as close as possible to each other. The other possibility is 10-12 feb when its charlotte / capitals and grizzlies, also quite a good weekend but March fits my schedule a bit better.

For restaurants we are OK to spend so any tips are welcome :) hopefully the food is good in Boston, its definitely not in all cities in US.
For hotels, the hotels you mention are a bit pricy, so i believe we will go with something in the 100 - 200 EU per night range... we dont have accomodation booked but I think somewhere where we can walk to TD Garden is ideal, i believe that would be the city centre.
For the tickets i'm more looking in the around 150 USD range, so that would be balcony, but maybe we will pay a bit more to be in the lower rows.

I wouldn't limit yourself to walking distance to the TD. TD Garden is at the North Station stop on the T (MBTA-subway). You can probably get better value elsewhere and take the T.

I agree with Roy about eating in the North End. When I go to games we usually choose an Italian Resteraunt in the North End and are very rarely disappointed.

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 11:40:45 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Feel like the Spurs always play the C’s on a Sunday afternoon…It does suck spending all that money on traveling expenses, food, tickets just to see them lose. Smart choice picking that game.

Yeah, a trip to Boston usually ends up costing me between $1000 and $1500 (which is ridiculous, but what can you do), so I at least want to make sure I've got a happy crowd.

Much more reasonable for our family:  the Maine Celtics.  Cheap tickets, good food in Portland, and not that bad of a drive.  Plus, the kids have a good chance of making it on to TV, which they love.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 11:43:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Thanks Roy.

I wouldn't limit yourself to walking distance to the TD. TD Garden is at the North Station stop on the T (MBTA-subway). You can probably get better value elsewhere and take the T.

I agree with Roy about eating in the North End. When I go to games we usually choose an Italian Resteraunt in the North End and are very rarely disappointed.

Yeah, there's not a lot in the immediate vicinity.  The Citizen M is literally right next to the Garden and it's a very clean, modern hotel, but I don't think they have double rooms.  So, if you're traveling individually or with a romantic partner, it may be the singularly most convenient hotel in terms of Garden access.  If you're with a non-romantic friend, not so much. 

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 12:00:13 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Thanks Roy.

Yeah, there's not a lot in the immediate vicinity.  The Citizen M is literally right next to the Garden and it's a very clean, modern hotel, but I don't think they have double rooms.  So, if you're traveling individually or with a romantic partner, it may be the singularly most convenient hotel in terms of Garden access.  If you're with a non-romantic friend, not so much.
Roy, have you ever tried the Downeaster (Amtrak) out of Portland?

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 12:32:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Thanks Roy.

Roy, have you ever tried the Downeaster (Amtrak) out of Portland?

Sure have.  We usually get on in Brunswick (wife's choice) but it's really convenient for we Mainers.

They need to extend up to Bangor or Orono.

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 02:03:02 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Thanks Roy.

A few years ago you could reliably get rooms for $99 a night via on weekends via Priceline at the Royal Sonesta, just over the river in Cambridge.  It’s two quick stops from the Lechmere Station on the Green Line to North Station and the Garden.  I used to do that a couple times per year from 2014-2017, so I don’t know if that’s still available/how much inflation has raised those rates, but if you’re willing to wait until the week of to get a room, you can typically get a great deal.  It’s a nice hotel that caters to conventions and weddings, but typically that means it has a lot of rooms available on weekends from October through April.

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 07:24:20 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Anything is possible!
Thanks all for the replies and some tips!

In terms of tickets, for me its more important to have hopefully a close game in Q4. There is another weekend late March when the C's play Indiana and Spurs and the Bruins play TB Lightning, however Indy and Spurs might just be the worst team this year in their respective conference. Chance on a blowout (less atmosphere) is larger. I rather have a close game and a loss then a blowout win against a bad team. I guess this is different with kids, my lil girls are not at that age yet ;)

I understand the tickets are going to be expensive... by the way, the Bruins tickets will actually be the most expensive it looks like. The most expensive might be the hotel yet if I compare it to Europe, the current weak EUR doesn't help either.

@Roy, 'Hopefully he gets lucky when tickets go on sale'
What do you mean with this? Aren't the tickets on sale yet?, or will there be a new batch released in a later stage? How this it work?
I can currently go and buy tickets via ticketmaster: few standard ticket and some verified re-sale, i guess this is seasonticket holders who are selling single game tickets?

Thx! 

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2023, 05:42:10 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Anything is possible!
Hello all,

So to get back on this topic, my buddy and I ended up buying (indeed rather expensive) tickets for the following games.

2 March: Celtics VS Nets: hoping Durant will be back, this could be one of the marquee match ups after the allstar break of the season. On a fridaynight in the garden, really excited about this. Seats are BAL316 but on row 2, so i guess that should be good.
3 March: Bruins VS NY Rangers: also really excited about this afternoon game, also because it leaves the saterdaynight free for pub(s). The Bruins obviously been fantastic and the Rangers are making a surge after a slow start. Another great game. Seats are again in the upperbowl but I think row 4.
4 March: Celtics VS Knicks: Sundaynight game to close out the Boston trip. For me the Knicks have been playing above expectations and this could very well be play-off first round preview. Also I guess NY will be buyers at the trade deadline, they might get a bit better as they have some assets. Seats Sec222 on row 3 I think.

Afterwards we will go to NY and watch the Knicks play the atrocious but at times fun Charlotte Hornets, mainly just to visit MSG as i dont care who will win. And also have a NY Islanders game vs the Capitals in their new stadium in belmont park.

During our Boston trip we finally ended up staying in Club Quarters Hotel, looks like a great location and its oke in terms of price/quality. Would have loved to stay in Encore but a bit too expensive.

Last question: any restaurants, pub, bars advice? :)

Let's go C's! Really happy with how the season has been going so far!! Would be great if our visit at the end of the day will be in a banner 18 year!

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2023, 09:41:38 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Yeah, a trip to Boston usually ends up costing me between $1000 and $1500 (which is ridiculous, but what can you do), so I at least want to make sure I've got a happy crowd.

Much more reasonable for our family:  the Maine Celtics.  Cheap tickets, good food in Portland, and not that bad of a drive.  Plus, the kids have a good chance of making it on to TV, which they love.

i dont think i have ever seen these words together before.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva