Author Topic: What's up with DC movies?  (Read 16698 times)

Re: What's up with DC movies?
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2023, 09:52:48 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
It looks like Gunn's plans for the D.C. universe are really ambitious:

DC movies

Superman: Legacy – written by Gunn, the film will hit theaters on July 11, 2025, and focus on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing.

The Authority – WildStorm characters will join the DCU as members of The Authority take matters into their own hands to do what they believe is right.

The Brave and the Bold – the DCU will introduce its Batman and Robin in this unusual father-son story inspired by Grant Morrison's comic series.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow - this science fiction adventure, which will be based on Tom King's amazing, award-winning recent comics stories, presents a Supergirl viewers are not used to seeing.

Swamp Thing – the film will investigate the dark origins of Swamp Thing.

The Batman – Part II — the film will hit theaters on Oct. 3, 2025.

DC HBO TV series

Creature Commandos — a seven-episode animated show in which Amanda Waller creates a black ops team out of monstrous prisoners; Gunn wrote all the episodes of the first season.

Waller — starring Viola Davis, this series features Team Peacemaker and will be written by Christal Henry (Watchmen) and Jeremy Carver (Supernatural).

Booster Gold — Booster Gold uses basic technology from the future to pretend to be a superhero in present day.

Lanterns — this enormous TV event series follows intergalactic cops John Stewart and Hal Jordan as they uncover a dark mystery. Gunn likened this to True Detective with two space cops.

Paradise Lost — set in Themyscira, home of the Amazons and birthplace of Wonder Woman, this drama focuses on the genesis and political intrigue of an island of all women.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/superman-reboot-wonder-woman-series-172109938.html

I was all over this yesterday, between watching Gunn's announcement 2 minutes after he posted it on Twitter, to reading articles, and watching YouTube reactions. I love comic book movies, and think Gunn's DC Universe has a chance to overtake the MCU, who are struggling now. The upcoming MCU lineup is dreadful, other than Guardians of the Galaxy, which Gunn directed. This Gunn universe looks awesome and I can't wait.

On a separate note, I'm really looking forward to all 4 DC movies coming out this year, with The Flash being my #1 anticipated movie all year.

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2023, 10:58:52 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
It looks like Gunn's plans for the D.C. universe are really ambitious:

DC movies

Superman: Legacy – written by Gunn, the film will hit theaters on July 11, 2025, and focus on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing.

The Authority – WildStorm characters will join the DCU as members of The Authority take matters into their own hands to do what they believe is right.

The Brave and the Bold – the DCU will introduce its Batman and Robin in this unusual father-son story inspired by Grant Morrison's comic series.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow - this science fiction adventure, which will be based on Tom King's amazing, award-winning recent comics stories, presents a Supergirl viewers are not used to seeing.

Swamp Thing – the film will investigate the dark origins of Swamp Thing.

The Batman – Part II — the film will hit theaters on Oct. 3, 2025.

DC HBO TV series

Creature Commandos — a seven-episode animated show in which Amanda Waller creates a black ops team out of monstrous prisoners; Gunn wrote all the episodes of the first season.

Waller — starring Viola Davis, this series features Team Peacemaker and will be written by Christal Henry (Watchmen) and Jeremy Carver (Supernatural).

Booster Gold — Booster Gold uses basic technology from the future to pretend to be a superhero in present day.

Lanterns — this enormous TV event series follows intergalactic cops John Stewart and Hal Jordan as they uncover a dark mystery. Gunn likened this to True Detective with two space cops.

Paradise Lost — set in Themyscira, home of the Amazons and birthplace of Wonder Woman, this drama focuses on the genesis and political intrigue of an island of all women.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/superman-reboot-wonder-woman-series-172109938.html

I was all over this yesterday, between watching Gunn's announcement 2 minutes after he posted it on Twitter, to reading articles, and watching YouTube reactions. I love comic book movies, and think Gunn's DC Universe has a chance to overtake the MCU, who are struggling now. The upcoming MCU lineup is dreadful, other than Guardians of the Galaxy, which Gunn directed. This Gunn universe looks awesome and I can't wait.

On a separate note, I'm really looking forward to all 4 DC movies coming out this year, with The Flash being my #1 anticipated movie all year.

I’m not really into comic movies but I loved the three Snyder ones and the Joker. I get how people want to see more family friendly stuff. I don’t have kids so I enjoyed the darker tale snd a Superman who struggled a lot in life . That spoke to me. But I understand that may not play to the masses. I don’t enjoy Funn’s movies SO FAR and I think he’s been antagonistic on twitter. I guess people say that’s how he is. Regardless of what he’s doing I think he shoukd stop posting jerky comments from detractors and responding to them publicly. It doesn’t bring people together. It does the opposite.
   I think he may have learned his lesson after Ben Affleck’s interview. It sounds as if Gunn speaks gif others s not too much. But hey, that’s my opinion. Not saying I’m correct.

« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2023, 06:35:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Flash is being called one of the best superhero movies ever made.  Should be interesting how it does with Miller's legal issues.

https://ew.com/movies/the-flash-first-reactions-cinemacon-screening-ezra-miller/
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2023, 06:34:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yikes.  It looks like Flash is going to lose in the neighborhood of $200 million.

I thought it was a pretty good movie.  One of the better DC ones.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2023, 06:46:58 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I’m surprise Flash did so bad..thought it would do great especially with Michael Keaton doing Batman again
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2023, 07:10:23 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Yikes.  It looks like Flash is going to lose in the neighborhood of $200 million.

Thor Love and Thunder and Antman 3 both lost 100+. Disney did some funny maneuvering with money but the share holders caught it and suing.

Indi 5 rough numbers that they are talking about is 300mil production and 150 ad. It needs to make 850 to 900 million to break even.

Disney last year lost 900 mill in the entertainment side, if it wasn't for the parks doing well last year it would have been really bad. But this year the parks aren't doing as well, lowest prices in years. 

Disney hasn't made the money back from buying star wars. Trilogy did fine, but the other movies and shows havn't pulled their weight. D+ lost subs during Mando 3. Star Cruser cost almost a billion dollars and its closing, and the two parks cost over a billion each, and they aren't selling enough merch to cover.

Both companies have too many cooks in the kitchen, and hire less qualified people for jobs to get that ESG loans. Now its really biting them in the buts. They need to let creators create and do their thing with in reason, but its too micro managed and now even director and actors don't want to work for them. Part of the reason Fantastic Four is been delayed over and over, cause casting has been hard.

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2023, 07:17:17 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Think ppl are not going to the movies like they was 10 years ago has something to do with it..got all the channels like HBO Max, Vudu & others so ppl will wait to see movies at home
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2023, 07:42:03 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It didn't do well for a host of reasons, the first of which is they failed to fully convince people it was anything more than a lame duck movie from the previous administration. Rather than appear as something new, it instead felt like an outgoing relic. What made matters worse was the primary plot dynamic had already been done by Marvel and Sony in much better ways and DC just looked late to the party.

You could also tell how insecure they were by how much they revealed in the advertising. You could basically guess all the major plot points, so why bother seeing it? They also went overboard stressing how big a role Batman and Keaton had in the film. It was clear they didn't have that much confidence in the movie holding up on its own merits or on the strength of its titular character.

The film itself had some decent moments but was pretty flawed. You could tell that it had gone through rewrite hell as it didn't have any cohesive tone. Some scenes felt like they were from earlier, goofier versions of the script. There also was this fan service aspect that felt forced and pandering. It's like Keaton was just an old pull-string doll that says all the most popular catchphrases from the original films, even when they make no contextual sense. Then there were the typical greater-universe demands of introducing characters that didn't have a compelling enough reason to be there (Supergirl), and the gratuitous cameos to remind you that some characters are still alive.

Things I did like was the design of the Flashpoint effect (not sure if this was just cribbed from the comics) and Ezra Miller's dual performance (he might be crazy but he's a [dang] good actor - watch We Need To Talk About Kevin for more evidence). Otherwise, it was just a mess of unjustified guest characters mixed with bad CGI and a script that could never find its focus long enough to make you care about the outcome.

« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2023, 07:45:42 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Franchise box office numbers will never look the same in a streaming world.  Each DC or Marvel movie that releases to Max or Disney+ keeps some amount of subscribers from churning out for $10-$20 month.  Major releases are worth about 1 percent of a subscriber base for a few months.  Flash probably will make Max an extra $50ish million.  But that’s still a disappointment.

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2023, 08:36:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Franchise box office numbers will never look the same in a streaming world.  Each DC or Marvel movie that releases to Max or Disney+ keeps some amount of subscribers from churning out for $10-$20 month.  Major releases are worth about 1 percent of a subscriber base for a few months.  Flash probably will make Max an extra $50ish million.  But that’s still a disappointment.
Good movies still do really well.  I mean look at the animated Spider-Man.  It is doing really well at the box office. 

« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2023, 08:38:39 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
It’s disappointing that the Flash is underperforming. I think that is just the nail in the coffin for this present literários of DC movies. Might as well make Blue Beetle it’s own movie.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2023, 08:41:56 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Good movies still do really well.  I mean look at the animated Spider-Man.  It is doing really well at the box office.

Sure, but it’s still going to do less by traditional box office numbers than it would have otherwise.  It’s a simple fact that streaming has diverted some viewers from the theaters to home viewing.  That doesn’t mean a movie makes less money overall, but it means it’s harder to directly count the revenue in the same way.  It also keeps down royalty costs, which is one reason we have a writer’s strike.

« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2023, 07:34:28 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Interesting choices for the new Superman and Lois Lane.  David Corenswet is not exactly well known and while anyone with Amazon Prime has probably at least seen Rachel Brosnahan's picture, casting the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel star as Lois Lane seems a bit odd to me as well. 

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2023, 08:36:58 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I thought The Flash was very good. Keaton was excellent,  and Miller turned in a surprisingly effective performance.

Some of the slapstick didn't land, and there were indeed some jarring fan service moments.

But overall the film had emotional weight and a depth not seen in any recent comic book film.

The blane for this film's failure lies mostly with Ezra Miller's extracurricular activities. He basically ground both this film and the DCEU to a halt due to the PR nightmare he created. If he had kept his head on straight,  maybe this beats the Marvel multiverse movies to theaters.

Maybe the film could have helped jumpstart the DCEU and Gunn isn't forced to commit to a reboot. Instead we get this and a bunch of other lame duck films that will all lose gratuitous amounts of money.

It's a real shame, as DC basically invented the multiverse, and foreshadowed this film with the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover on the Flash TV show.

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2023, 08:52:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Interesting choices for the new Superman and Lois Lane.  David Corenswet is not exactly well known and while anyone with Amazon Prime has probably at least seen Rachel Brosnahan's picture, casting the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel star as Lois Lane seems a bit odd to me as well.

Corenswet looks the part; I'm not that I've seen anything he's been in.

I think Brosnahan is really talented and she clearly has charisma. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes