Author Topic: What's up with DC movies?  (Read 17041 times)

Re: What's up with DC movies?
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2022, 07:13:25 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Ugh!! Cavill is the perfect Superman!!

Hopefully this frees him up for a new season of The Witcher?
He's not coming back to that. Hemsworth is locked in it seems.

With the way the showrunners have treated that show and its source material (which Cavill loves), I cannot blame him for not wanting to return.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2022, 08:19:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Maybe he can play Superman on Titans
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2022, 09:17:15 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I’m not a big comic book movie guy. But Snyder’s 3 became my fave movies of all time.  I prefer movies that take themselves more seriously. That’s not saying comedy is no good in them. It just happens to be my taste. For example I love movies like Blade runner 2049, Dune and also rewatch those a bunch.
  But as soon as I saw Black Adam I was really bummed out. It was just a Marvel movie to me in tone but also messy and worst of all destroyed the canon of the “Snyderverse.”
  I was big into the movement of the Snydercut and it was a beautiful thing having that come to fruition . He ( Snyder ) seems like a cool guy and I hope his family can heal. I’ve never seen such hatred thrown at a movie director before.
  I don’t believe DC fans when they say they won’t come back now. The ones I talked to really liked Black Adam so I’m thinking they just want to win some silly comic book rivalry. Because the sane ones hated Marvel movies for the tone.
  If the movies have a serious tone I may check out but with Gunn I doubt it. I don’t enjoy his movies so far or Peacemaker. Not my thing.
  I follow directors more now. I’ll check out anything by Snyder, Villeneuve, Ridley Scott and most of Nolan’s stuff. So really looking forward to Rebel Moon, Dune Part 2, Oppenheimer..

« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 09:29:05 PM by dannyboy35 »

« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2023, 01:35:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This isn't a DC movie, but it's reflective of what's wrong at HBO Max and Warner Brothers in general:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/velma-review-hbo-max-edgy-172600033.html

They made a woke cartoon full of gore and teenage nudity based around Velma from Scooby Doo?  That's what they're spending their money on?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2023, 02:27:55 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
This isn't a DC movie, but it's reflective of what's wrong at HBO Max and Warner Brothers in general:

They made a woke cartoon full of gore and teenage nudity based around Velma from Scooby Doo?  That's what they're spending their money on?

This is my first time in this thread (not big on superhero movies) so not aware of DC/HBO Max/Warner Brothers problems, but Velma actually seems like something I'd watch (based on the trailer).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2023, 02:37:02 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Ugh!! Cavill is the perfect Superman!!

Hopefully this frees him up for a new season of The Witcher?
He's not coming back to that. Hemsworth is locked in it seems.

With the way the showrunners have treated that show and its source material (which Cavill loves), I cannot blame him for not wanting to return.

Yeah Cavil is doing season three and then out. They mocked him for wanted to stay true to the source material. Apparently the scene where his horse dies and he says some words was improvised. He also said all the right things when they announced him coming back to superman, the guy is a fanboy for this stuff.

He fired his agent(the rocks xwife) she was a crap agent, taking money from products with Cavils likeness.

But now he's doing Warhammer 40K, which he's a HUGE fan of, never shuts up about it. I hope he has full control of it, it's going to be on Amazon, which is a little scary after Rings of Power, but I have a feeling he didn't sign on unless he could do it his way.

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2023, 02:38:00 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Just saw a trailer for it, it looks bad.

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2023, 04:26:24 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

So many people these days like to take beloved things from the past and turn them into vehicles for all sorts of inappropriate ideas. Lots of people these days just have no sense of shame.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2023, 06:44:57 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Sorry to sound like Scorsese, but I don’t understand the appeal of these movies. I feel like they are made for kids, no? I’ve watched a couple and think they’re kinda childish. Guardians of the galaxy was prob the most of the marvel/DC stuff that I’ve seen.

Did I need to read the comic books growing up to understand this? I watched the Nolan Batman movies and thought they were ok. I haven’t watched much otherwise that has hooked me in.

« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2023, 07:14:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Sorry to sound like Scorsese, but I don’t understand the appeal of these movies. I feel like they are made for kids, no? I’ve watched a couple and think they’re kinda childish. Guardians of the galaxy was prob the most of the marvel/DC stuff that I’ve seen.

Did I need to read the comic books growing up to understand this? I watched the Nolan Batman movies and thought they were ok. I haven’t watched much otherwise that has hooked me in.
It's definitely a niche. The movies require a buy-in to the world's they present, which knowing some of comics or other superhero movies helps but doesn't mean everything. The main audience is "action" and "comedy" movie watchers. If you are into dramas you can watch something like Joker or unbreakable series for that feel. If you don't like fantasy action or simple comedy most comic book movies are a no go.

« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2023, 10:16:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Might have to check Velma out.  I like Mindy Kaling's writing (generally) and Harley Quinn (which sounds kind of like this) is one of the best shows on TV. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2023, 08:57:33 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  Now there’s the hashtag trending #SellZSJLtoNetflix.  I’m all about it. I always believed in the Snydercut movement because if the continuous lying from studio execs. Workers and the access media.
  When they vehemently said the movie didn’t exist after the director said in front of a camera that he has several  cuts just waiting. The media pretended not to see a billboard in Times Square with quotes from the director.
   I don’t know if this hashtag succeeds. Netflix already likely has Snyder fans subscribers. But I’d love to see the continuation of his JL story as well as The SS Ayer Cut and The Affleck Batman movie.

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2023, 01:19:11 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It looks like Gunn's plans for the D.C. universe are really ambitious:

DC movies

Superman: Legacy – written by Gunn, the film will hit theaters on July 11, 2025, and focus on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing.

The Authority – WildStorm characters will join the DCU as members of The Authority take matters into their own hands to do what they believe is right.

The Brave and the Bold – the DCU will introduce its Batman and Robin in this unusual father-son story inspired by Grant Morrison's comic series.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow - this science fiction adventure, which will be based on Tom King's amazing, award-winning recent comics stories, presents a Supergirl viewers are not used to seeing.

Swamp Thing – the film will investigate the dark origins of Swamp Thing.

The Batman – Part II — the film will hit theaters on Oct. 3, 2025.

DC HBO TV series

Creature Commandos — a seven-episode animated show in which Amanda Waller creates a black ops team out of monstrous prisoners; Gunn wrote all the episodes of the first season.

Waller — starring Viola Davis, this series features Team Peacemaker and will be written by Christal Henry (Watchmen) and Jeremy Carver (Supernatural).

Booster Gold — Booster Gold uses basic technology from the future to pretend to be a superhero in present day.

Lanterns — this enormous TV event series follows intergalactic cops John Stewart and Hal Jordan as they uncover a dark mystery. Gunn likened this to True Detective with two space cops.

Paradise Lost — set in Themyscira, home of the Amazons and birthplace of Wonder Woman, this drama focuses on the genesis and political intrigue of an island of all women.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/superman-reboot-wonder-woman-series-172109938.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2023, 03:52:07 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Wonder who will play Superman??
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2023, 05:33:07 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
  Now there’s the hashtag trending #SellZSJLtoNetflix.  I’m all about it. I always believed in the Snydercut movement because if the continuous lying from studio execs. Workers and the access media.
  When they vehemently said the movie didn’t exist after the director said in front of a camera that he has several  cuts just waiting. The media pretended not to see a billboard in Times Square with quotes from the director.
   I don’t know if this hashtag succeeds. Netflix already likely has Snyder fans subscribers. But I’d love to see the continuation of his JL story as well as The SS Ayer Cut and The Affleck Batman movie.

I'd be all about that. I don't have a whole lot of confidence in what Gunn is going to do. Keeping Ezra Miller and his wife employed while also wanting to reset everything sends a mixed message.

I have zero excitement for what's coming except to see the train wreck Jar Jar Abrams is going to put out.
Still don't believe in Joe.