Author Topic: What's up with DC movies?  (Read 17139 times)

Re: What's up with DC movies?
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2022, 09:19:34 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sadly, Black Adam is getting terrible reviews.  It's 53% positive on Rotten Tomatoes.  Here's one of the *positive* reviews:

While the film does feel cobbled together out of spare parts of other superhero movies, and it’s almost instantly forgettable, Collett-Serra manages to hold it all together out of sheer force of will and an inherent sense of style.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2022, 07:29:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Sadly, Black Adam is getting terrible reviews.  It's 53% positive on Rotten Tomatoes.  Here's one of the *positive* reviews:

While the film does feel cobbled together out of spare parts of other superhero movies, and it’s almost instantly forgettable, Collett-Serra manages to hold it all together out of sheer force of will and an inherent sense of style.
I feel like this could be like Man of Steel - poor critics reviews, but generally alright with audience scores.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2022, 07:45:39 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Just watched Black Adam..give it 8 out of 10..lot of action & make sure u stay for mid credit scene, u wont regret it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2022, 10:50:41 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Just saw Black Adam in IMAX. I had a blast watching this. I can't wait to get the 4K blu-ray for my home theater.

Kind of fitting that the next DC movie is Shazam, which I can't wait to see, as the first was fantastic.

I know the next big movie is Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, but I couldn't imagine having less interest in a block buster since Eternals.

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2022, 02:57:28 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Very disappointed in "Black Adam." Too many characters, too many cliches, too many macguffins, too much clunky, exposititory dialogue.

The JSA (Justice Society of America) feels underdeveloped and ultimately pointless. Hawkman is given some ridiculously corny lines, and lacks the savage intensity of his Geoff Johns-era comic book counterpart. And his entreaties for physical restraint feel hollow considering he's working with Amanda Waller. Poor Aldis Hodge.

It's very strange that the writers would include Dr. Fate and Hawkman - both contemporaries of Black Adam in ancient Egypt  - and not mention or explore this connection at all. His general backstory in ancient Egypt is also neglected - we are told he was a slave who violently exacted revenge against his captors - but there isn't enough time spent in this era to make his vengeance shocking or interesting.

The villains also get little screen time or explanation.  Who is Intergang? Who is in charge of the government? Why are Western troops in the country? We are told that things are oppressive but we never see much about what life in Khandaq is actually like.

The CGI action is unrelenting to the point of being boring. Because of Adam's near-invulnerability, the source of tension should be his human connections and his teetering sense of morality.

This is what made Adam's "52" and "World War III" comic book storylines so good. His rampage and fall feel genuinely tragic because he had established himself as a real, feeling, suffering human being with a family and a people that he loved.

It's the opposite in the film. His actions lack substance, his connections feel forced and arbitrary. And his ruthlessness lacks bite. Yes, he kills people. That in itself isn't interesting, it feels like 90's era edginess more than anything. I really wonder if Duane Johnson did some meddling with the script to make his character more heroic. Because this incarnation lacks the depth and subtlety of the comic book version,  and that's a shame. This Adam claims to be morally gray. The Adam in the comics actually IS morally gray.

"Black Adam" is watchable, but it could have been so much more.

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2022, 05:41:27 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Batman is the best property between DC and Marvel. Warner Bros. would be well-served to always ensure Batman releases are AAA productions all-around moving forward. I like how they’re starting to lean into the fact he’s supposed to be the world’s best detective. They need to nail it with Phoenix’s next Joker or Warner Bros. is in trouble with DC. The next Batman should be a reunion of Bale and Nolan for one last trip. Try to convince Michael Caine to do one last movie role.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 05:48:20 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2022, 04:19:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Batman is the best property between DC and Marvel. Warner Bros. would be well-served to always ensure Batman releases are AAA productions all-around moving forward. I like how they’re starting to lean into the fact he’s supposed to be the world’s best detective. They need to nail it with Phoenix’s next Joker or Warner Bros. is in trouble with DC. The next Batman should be a reunion of Bale and Nolan for one last trip. Try to convince Michael Caine to do one last movie role.
No, it should not. Reeves & Pattinson made a better film than Nolan & Bale ever did

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2022, 04:40:05 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
No, it should not. Reeves & Pattinson made a better film than Nolan & Bale ever did

Fighting words.

The Batman was good, with the notable exception of Catwoman.  I’d put it behind the Keaton movies and the first two Bale movies.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2022, 04:51:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Fighting words.

The Batman was good, with the notable exception of Catwoman.  I’d put it behind the Keaton movies and the first two Bale movies.
Completely agree with the exception of The Batman being good. It was alright. Catwoman brought it down and it could have used about 15 less minutes length. Lots of useless story telling that didn't need to be there. But given the lack of quality of some Batman movies, putting it 5th behind the ones you mentioned is correct, IMHO.

With the exception of the first Wonder Woman and Aquaman, I pretty much didn't like most of the non-Batman DCMU. Justice League was okay but so so long.

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2022, 05:05:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Fighting words.

I found it much more Batman-y, if that makes any sense. The Batman stuff always took a backseat in Nolan's films. I also just do not care for Nolan most of the time.

I love the Keaton ones. Only issue is his suit inflexibility, but even that kinda rocks.

« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2022, 05:48:45 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
I go see all the DC and Marvel movies on opening night, and even own all the movies on blu-ray/4K (with the exception of Eternals, which was not good and felt useless). I personally think the DC movies are better all around. I think the better question should be, what is up with the MCU? The quality has fallen off a cliff since Infinity War.

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2022, 07:49:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I feel like this could be like Man of Steel - poor critics reviews, but generally alright with audience scores.

You predicted correctly.  It's got a 90% audience score right now.

I saw it yesterday.  I thought it was ok.  Better than a lot of DC stuff.  I'm going to agree with three of kraidstar's criticisms:

The JSA (Justice Society of America) feels underdeveloped and ultimately pointless.

Because this incarnation lacks the depth and subtlety of the comic book version,  and that's a shame. This Adam claims to be morally gray. The Adam in the comics actually IS morally gray.

The CGI action is unrelenting to the point of being boring.

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2022, 06:37:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

You predicted correctly.  It's got a 90% audience score right now.

I saw it yesterday.  I thought it was ok.  Better than a lot of DC stuff.  I'm going to agree with three of kraidstar's criticisms:

The JSA (Justice Society of America) feels underdeveloped and ultimately pointless.

Because this incarnation lacks the depth and subtlety of the comic book version,  and that's a shame. This Adam claims to be morally gray. The Adam in the comics actually IS morally gray.

The CGI action is unrelenting to the point of being boring.
Yeah, that is the kind of vibe I got from all the build-up. I'm pretty burnt out on generic comic book content, so I doubt I'll see it any time soon.

« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2022, 01:29:51 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
I can't wait to see what these guys bring to the table.

DC Shocker: James Gunn, Peter Safran to Lead Film, TV and Animation Division (Exclusive)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dc-movies-james-gunn-peter-safran-to-lead-film-tv-division-1235248438/

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2022, 02:53:13 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
I can't wait to see what these guys bring to the table.

DC Shocker: James Gunn, Peter Safran to Lead Film, TV and Animation Division (Exclusive)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dc-movies-james-gunn-peter-safran-to-lead-film-tv-division-1235248438/

That's great news to comic book/movie fans. Gunn is very talented, and Safran's been a producer on Shazam, The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker, and Aquaman.

It also would indicate that JJ Abrams will have limited influence, which is usually a good thing. WB has already canceled a few of his projects, and he has yet to release any actual content for them, despite the $250m production deal he signed.