Author Topic: What should be the criteria for owning a sports franchise?  (Read 9062 times)

What should be the criteria for owning a sports franchise?
« on: August 10, 2022, 10:54:42 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I saw this tweet:

Brandon “Scoop B” Robinson, M.A. : Floyd Mayweather has aspirations of owning both an NBA team and an NFL team sources tell @BallySports. “NFL is in play,” per a source close to @FloydMayweather shared with me.

... which led me to the question in the thread.  Is Floyd Mayweather a suitable NBA / NFL owner, if he can afford the team?  What criteria should the league look at in approving an owner?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: What should be the criteria for owning a sports franchise?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 11:10:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
billions of dollars
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 11:11:31 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
billions of dollars

Nothing else?

Like, seriously, if O.J. Simpson came up with $5 billion, would you sell to him if he's got the highest offer?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 11:38:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
billions of dollars

Nothing else?

Like, seriously, if O.J. Simpson came up with $5 billion, would you sell to him if he's got the highest offer?
What? You think that Russian billionaire who owned the Nets didn't have blood on his hands?

I like the idea of super rich guys who are willing to spend ridonculous amounts of cash on payrolls who also happen to be stand up human beings being the owners of NBA teams, but unfortunately, the NBA hasn't always made the "being a stand up human being" part of that description mandatory.

So if Money Mayweather wants to own the team and has the cash, I see no reason the NBA wouldn't accept him as an owner ....oh wait, governor.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 12:04:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
billions of dollars

Nothing else?

What? You think that Russian billionaire who owned the Nets didn't have blood on his hands?

I like the idea of super rich guys who are willing to spend ridonculous amounts of cash on payrolls who also happen to be stand up human beings being the owners of NBA teams, but unfortunately, the NBA hasn't always made the "being a stand up human being" part of that description mandatory.

So if Money Mayweather wants to own the team and has the cash, I see no reason the NBA wouldn't accept him as an owner ....oh wait, governor.

It's hard to say.  If being a affirmed racist is enough to -- eventually -- get your team stripped from you, then perhaps the NBA won't rush to embrace a serial abuser.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 12:19:07 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I wish all profesional teams were publicly owned nonprofits like the Packers.

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 12:29:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
billions of dollars

Nothing else?

And didn't Joe Tsai's partner suddenly disappear.  To your point, it would be great if all sports owners were standup people, but most of them aren't.  Look at all the crap that goes on with NFL owners and their front offices. 

It is hard to be that rich without "blood" on your hands.  I mean look at all the sweatshops Wal-Mart runs.  That family now basically owns every professional sports team in Colorado.  The Haslems have allegedly committed all sorts of crimes, and yet there they are running the Browns into the ground.

The only requirement should be a whole heck of a lot of money.  Now the leagues do have rules that the owners must abide by, but that should be an after you own type thing, not a before you own type thing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 01:02:09 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
A quick Google search says Mayweather's net worth is $450m, so if anything this like more of a Jay-Z-owning-the-Nets situation than having a real ownership stake.

Famous minority owners are good publicity, but does anybody really care about them after the fact?  No outcry for Will Smith to sell his minority stake in the Sixers (though that would be kinda funny).

With someone like Mayweather, I could see some fuss initially, some protests/outcry, but similar to Chauncey Billups and the Blazers, where it doesn't seem like the outrage was loud or long enough to really impact anything.

For real ownership issues, I have a hard time seeing anything but a loud objection from the players stopping anything (like with Donald Sterling or Rush Limbaugh's bid).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 01:30:22 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
billions of dollars

Nothing else?

Some type of character clause should be involved. Some issues seem cut and dry- domestic violence is a clear no.

What about financial crimes? How many other owners have been sued for shirking their financial duties? It's almost a badge of pride for many rich people to showcase their "savvy" by stiffing someone that makes less than them. I'd argue that Mayweather's financial track record (not making payments to various people) should disqualify him if beating up his gf didn't already.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2022, 08:53:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Speaking of owners...

Ric Bucher: LeBron James apparently is in the pole position, to be the owner of the Las Vegas expansion franchise, when Las Vegas and Seattle which I’m told is going to happen as soon as the next TV deals are in place, that those franchises are going to be added to the equation, which has a whole lot of repercussions including the timing of when LeBron decides to step aside and become an owner, rather than a player.

I don't really trust Bucher for much of anything, but Lebron being part of an ownership group to buy a Vegas expansion franchise has been rumored for awhile.  Fenway Sports Group, of which Lebron is a 1% owner, is reportedly interested.  That would give them interests in baseball (Red Sox), hockey (Penguins), NBA (Vegas), soccer (Liverpool) and Nascar.  They'd still be missing that football crown jewel.

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2022, 11:11:53 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
I wish all profesional teams were publicly owned nonprofits like the Packers.

Worth pointing out that the Packers 'public ownership' is basically a sham, but it is a good idea in theory - just not in practice.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2022, 11:22:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
1:  The money
2:  A actual feasible plan to create and run a successful team both financially and on the field/court.
3:  A reasonable ethical level.   (no one is perfect)

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2022, 11:35:10 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Floyd Mayweather is not a suitable team owner. The guy has a massive gambling habit, and can't help but flaunt his wealth, especially with how much he bets. Do you really think the NFL or NBA wants an owner like that?

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2022, 02:40:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Floyd Mayweather is not a suitable team owner. The guy has a massive gambling habit, and can't help but flaunt his wealth, especially with how much he bets. Do you really think the NFL or NBA wants an owner like that?

I'd say his beating the hell out of women is a far worse transgression than the gambling.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2022, 02:58:07 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

I'd say his beating the hell out of women is a far worse transgression than the gambling.

On a moral scale, yes.  Disqualifying to own an NBA team?  There could be real concerns he’s bet on games, which would be devastating for the sport overall.