Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 109180 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #1380 on: March 27, 2023, 10:05:46 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Apparently some reports from the Colts' side seem to indicate that Lamar's "asking price" on his contract is a non-starter for every team. If that's the case, this will drag for a while. And it's probably why there hasn't been much news on him lately either in terms of teams being significantly interested in him or making a concrete offer. This could drag.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1381 on: March 27, 2023, 10:09:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Apparently some reports from the Colts' side seem to indicate that Lamar's "asking price" on his contract is a non-starter for every team. If that's the case, this will drag for a while. And it's probably why there hasn't been much news on him lately either in terms of teams being significantly interested in him or making a concrete offer. This could drag.
The Ravens offer in September was market value and more than fair.  That is why no other team is interested.  Lamar just won't get off of, I want the whole thing fully guaranteed.  Until he does that, he won't be signed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1382 on: March 27, 2023, 10:29:12 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
The Ravens offer in September was market value and more than fair.  That is why no other team is interested.  Lamar just won't get off of, I want the whole thing fully guaranteed.  Until he does that, he won't be signed.

If I were GM on a team, I'd give him 5/240M, 200M guaranteed. If he wants more, good luck lol.

It sounds like the Ravens offered him a deal with 133M guaranteed. But if he's expecting 200M+ guaranteed I highly doubt he gets it.

The Watson deal really did screw up things though. I mean even with everything going on with his investigations, the Browns gave him 230M fully guaranteed...

« Reply #1383 on: March 27, 2023, 10:49:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
The Ravens had 200 million guaranteed if he was on the roster 5 days into the 2026 season and it had 175 million in injury guarantees. The 133 million was fully guaranteed at signing.  If the Ravens cut him before the 67 million kicked in, he would have been a free agent before he was 30. 

It was absolutely a market rate contract and would have made him the highest paid player in the sport at 50 million a year. 

The Ravens can't even trade Lamar, as he isn't under contract, which makes his trade demand so dumb.  He really did hurt himself badly by not having an agent as he has misplayed this horribly.  And he continues to do so.

« Reply #1384 on: March 27, 2023, 10:54:15 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
The Ravens had 200 million guaranteed if he was on the roster 5 days into the 2026 season and it had 175 million in injury guarantees. The 133 million was fully guaranteed at signing.  If the Ravens cut him before the 67 million kicked in, he would have been a free agent before he was 30. 

It was absolutely a market rate contract and would have made him the highest paid player in the sport at 50 million a year. 

The Ravens can't even trade Lamar, as he isn't under contract, which makes his trade demand so dumb.  He really did hurt himself badly by not having an agent as he has misplayed this horribly.  And he continues to do so.

Ah okay I didn't realize that. TP for the clarification.

Then yeah it's dumb he turned that down. He must have wanted more than Kyler Murray, who got 5/230M including 103M guaranteed at signing, with upwards of 190M in guarantees total.

« Reply #1385 on: March 28, 2023, 04:06:42 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

So Watson got 230 million Guaranteed is that correct. Im hearing the owners are very upset about the future of Guaranteed contracts.

May be some collusion going on leauge wide which if true is very messy. I see the owners point but [dang]. He deserves his money.

« Reply #1386 on: March 28, 2023, 04:10:17 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

If I were GM on a team, I'd give him 5/240M, 200M guaranteed. If he wants more, good luck lol.

It sounds like the Ravens offered him a deal with 133M guaranteed. But if he's expecting 200M+ guaranteed I highly doubt he gets it.

The Watson deal really did screw up things though. I mean even with everything going on with his investigations, the Browns gave him 230M fully guaranteed...

The owners are not happy with Dee Haslam Owner of the Browns.

« Reply #1387 on: March 28, 2023, 10:31:49 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
The Patriots — barring unforeseen circumstances — “are not expected to pursue signing or trading for Jackson, according to three league sources close to the situation,” Greg Bedard of Boston Sports Journal reported.
Per Bedard, the Patriots’ hesitancy to try and acquire Jackson is due to both the steep cost it would take to acquire him, coupled with a lack of support from ownership.

“I’m a big fan of Mac,” Kraft said of Jones. “I think he came to us as a rookie. He quarterbacked his rookie season and did a very fine job, I thought. We made the playoffs. I think we experimented with some things last year that frankly didn’t work when it came to him, in my opinion.”

Kraft added: “I think we made changes that I think put him in a good position to excel. Look, in the end, Bill is in charge of my football team and makes the decisions of who should start and who should play, and he’s done a pretty darn good job of it for the last — when you think about it — 24 years. I had peach fuzz when that started.

“But I don’t know, for me, I see [Jones] as a very hard-working young man. He’s in the stadium almost every day in the offseason. I think bringing in Bill O’Brien will work to his advantage. I’m very positive and hopeful about this upcoming year, and I personally am a big fan of Mac.”

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #1388 on: March 29, 2023, 12:34:54 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
It was really foolish of the Browns to give Watson that much guaranteed money. 1) He's just not worth that much, and 2) it wrecked the QB market and is causing problems — and will continue to cause problems — for other teams.

But you know, in every sport there's at least one foolish GM or owner (usually more than one) who is happy to way overpay someone, wrecking their own team and wrecking the market.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1389 on: March 29, 2023, 08:40:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
It was really foolish of the Browns to give Watson that much guaranteed money. 1) He's just not worth that much, and 2) it wrecked the QB market and is causing problems — and will continue to cause problems — for other teams.

But you know, in every sport there's at least one foolish GM or owner (usually more than one) who is happy to way overpay someone, wrecking their own team and wrecking the market.
the thing is, it hasn't really affected anyone other than the one player that doesn't have an agent.  Wilson and Murray both signed after Watson without issue.  I guess we can see if there are issues with Burrow and Herbert, but as of now, Lamar is the only player that doesn't understand what everyone else does, you know the Browns are idiots that were in an unique situstion.

« Reply #1390 on: March 29, 2023, 08:55:50 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pats have roughly $13 million right now in cap room.  The amount of cap maneuvering that would be required to bring in Jackson would be ridiculous.  Some significant roster moves would need to be done.  Add the Ravens compensation component to it and it's a really big longshot to happen. It just also doesn't seem to be the Pats M.O.

I don't think this stuff is getting factored in enough by the bulk of the media.  All the stuff out there just seems to be speculation.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1391 on: March 29, 2023, 09:50:42 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The Patriots — barring unforeseen circumstances — “are not expected to pursue signing or trading for Jackson, according to three league sources close to the situation,” Greg Bedard of Boston Sports Journal reported.  Per Bedard, the Patriots’ hesitancy to try and acquire Jackson is due to both the steep cost it would take to acquire him, coupled with a lack of support from ownership.

“I’m a big fan of Mac,” Kraft said of Jones. “I think he came to us as a rookie. He quarterbacked his rookie season and did a very fine job, I thought. We made the playoffs. I think we experimented with some things last year that frankly didn’t work when it came to him, in my opinion.”

Kraft added: “I think we made changes that I think put him in a good position to excel. Look, in the end, Bill is in charge of my football team and makes the decisions of who should start and who should play, and he’s done a pretty darn good job of it for the last — when you think about it — 24 years. I had peach fuzz when that started.

“But I don’t know, for me, I see [Jones] as a very hard-working young man. He’s in the stadium almost every day in the offseason. I think bringing in Bill O’Brien will work to his advantage. I’m very positive and hopeful about this upcoming year, and I personally am a big fan of Mac.”

I think Kraft is being pretty honest here.  He is smart enough to leave the personnel or football decisions to Bill.  I don't think Bill is interested in Jackson, too much money and other assets for one player, especially one with an injury history.  It would not be Bill's style to go all in on Jackson and it sounds like Kraft agrees.  Things would likely change if Bill wanted Jackson, I suspect Kraft would let Bill do what he wants to do, but I don't see that happening.  I don't think "lack of owner support" has anything to do with it.  Kraft and Bill are on the same page.

I also found it interesting that he said: "I think we experimented with some things last year that frankly didn’t work when it came to him, in my opinion.”  That is pretty fair.  Not trying to coddle Bill but also acknowledging even though last season had some issues, he is still "trusts in Bill" based on 24 years of in general, a very high level of success.

I am good with all of this.  Let's see what Mac can do with an offensive line and a real offensive coordinator.  And I still trust in Bill.

« Reply #1392 on: March 29, 2023, 10:22:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
That didn't strike me like a lack of owner support, more than the owner trying to undo the damage he did with his tweet from the day before. 

« Reply #1393 on: March 29, 2023, 11:16:04 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I'm sorry, but Robert Kraft keeps on playing the media and the fans, like they're fools. Then again, if everyone keeps on falling for it year after year, then good for Kraft.

Bill could easily restructure contracts and have enough cap space to sign Lamar Jackson. However, the owner would rather pay Jones $4-5M for the next two seasons, than pay Jackson somewhere in the range of $35-50M per season. Either way, the Patriots are selling out their home games and still receiving the same amount of TV money.

« Reply #1394 on: March 29, 2023, 11:27:02 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm sorry, but Robert Kraft keeps on playing the media and the fans, like they're fools. Then again, if everyone keeps on falling for it year after year, then good for Kraft.

Bill could easily restructure contracts and have enough cap space to sign Lamar Jackson. However, the owner would rather pay Jones $4-5M for the next two seasons, than pay Jackson somewhere in the range of $35-50M per season. Either way, the Patriots are selling out their home games and still receiving the same amount of TV money.

How without significantly weakening roster? The cap number is going to be much closer to $50M than $35M.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team