Author Topic: Patriots 2022 Season  (Read 107434 times)

Re: Patriots 2022 Season
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2022, 08:41:27 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Pats look awful on both ends. Yikes.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2022, 09:58:43 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
They are going to need regular season reps to figure this offense out. Let’s go pats!

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2022, 11:38:01 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Am I the only person who thinks the blame for not having actual offensive and defensive coordinators, is on Robert Kraft? There is no salary cap for coaches, so why are we dealing with a play on words for not naming an offensive coordinator? Is it really so the Lions and Giants can continue to pay their salaries?

Speaking of cheaping out on the coaching staff, shouldn't the team put more money into scouting college players? I know Bill has final say in the draft, but the scouts are providing him with poor information.

Robert Kraft needs to put on his big boy pants, and let Bill go after this season. I have a bad feeling, this season could be a disaster.

I did agree with the decision to move on from Brady. However, the team should have also moved on from Bill too, around the same time. Unfortunately, Bill winning that power move may have given him too much authority.

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2022, 09:42:23 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Am I the only person who thinks the blame for not having actual offensive and defensive coordinators, is on Robert Kraft? There is no salary cap for coaches, so why are we dealing with a play on words for not naming an offensive coordinator? Is it really so the Lions and Giants can continue to pay their salaries?

Speaking of cheaping out on the coaching staff, shouldn't the team put more money into scouting college players? I know Bill has final say in the draft, but the scouts are providing him with poor information.

Robert Kraft needs to put on his big boy pants, and let Bill go after this season. I have a bad feeling, this season could be a disaster.

I did agree with the decision to move on from Brady. However, the team should have also moved on from Bill too, around the same time. Unfortunately, Bill winning that power move may have given him too much authority.

I don’t think Kraft was the one who chose to bring in Patricia and Judge to run the offense, that was Bill. Belichick has too much power/control and he surrounds himself with cronies. Bill does the shopping, picks the groceries and makes the meal. If it doesn’t work, that’s on him.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 11:56:54 AM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2022, 10:30:26 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The Patriots have not drafted well in a decade.  They haven't had real impact from free agency in longer than that.  Bill the GM just isn't very good.  They needed to replace Pioli with someone competent and didn't and the scouting and front office hasn't been the same.  That obviously doesn't mean they didn't get some great players, of course they have, but not at near the level they were previously.  And of course that makes sense, it is hard enough to be a coach or GM, but to do both, then both suffer.  I think a lot of people let the greatness of Bill the coach overshadow how bad Bill the GM has been.  And Brady just masked so many of the problems on the roster.  A great QB can easily be the difference between a top 5 drafting team and a team making the Super Bowl, and obviously Brady is that good.  He is worth at least 8 wins from a bad QB and at least 3 or 4 wins from a good QB.  There is a reason a team like the Raiders with a very good QB in Derek Carr was interested in bringing in Brady.   
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2022, 11:19:20 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Vultures on here already circling the patriots and bill before the season starts. I think it’s fair because in the past we have always learned how much the preseason means. It’s why the ravens have won 5 Super Bowls in a row.

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2022, 02:05:39 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Vultures on here already circling the patriots and bill before the season starts. I think it’s fair because in the past we have always learned how much the preseason means. It’s why the ravens have won 5 Super Bowls in a row.

I agree that preseason is pretty useless in many ways, and I think the fair thing to do with this year's Patriots is give them several games (at least 4) to sort things out on offense, but I do also think that the first chunk of the season is going to be ugly while they're sorting things out. I also think it's fair to go after Bill's seeming unwillingness to get a legit No. 1 receiver. But I am willing to see how things go with his collection of No. 3 receivers—maybe he sees something good there that I don't.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I agree that preseason is pretty useless in many ways, and I think the fair thing to do with this year's Patriots is give them several games (at least 4) to sort things out on offense, but I do also think that the first chunk of the season is going to be ugly while they're sorting things out. I also think it's fair to go after Bill's seeming unwillingness to get a legit No. 1 receiver. But I am willing to see how things go with his collection of No. 3 receivers—maybe he sees something good there that I don't.

I’m in the exact same boat. I could see this team surprising in both directions. I just find it funny that people are so ready to write off bill after a few decades. Remind me how quick the broncos recovered after losing Peyton or elway. Pete Carroll is universally considered a great coach, but does anyone expect any Seattle to be making a deep playoff run after losing wilson the next few years. It’s just really ridiculous. Some people act like bill took a pee in their cheerios. Just appreciate a legend.

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2022, 03:50:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I’m in the exact same boat. I could see this team surprising in both directions. I just find it funny that people are so ready to write off bill after a few decades. Remind me how quick the broncos recovered after losing Peyton or elway. Pete Carroll is universally considered a great coach, but does anyone expect any Seattle to be making a deep playoff run after losing wilson the next few years. It’s just really ridiculous. Some people act like bill took a pee in their cheerios. Just appreciate a legend.
you can appreciate the greatness that is BB the coach, but also recognize the mostly disaster that BB the GM has been.  They are not mutually exclusive.  BB has been an awful GM his entire career.  He should not be in that role.  He failed at it Cleveland and has been nearly as bad at it in New England.  It is one thing to give a coach veto power, it is entirely another to give a coach ALL of the power. 

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2022, 11:44:09 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Yeah, he did really well for a few decades with Brady. Didn’t do much before Tom and things haven’t looked great after. Bill controls everything and many consider him to be the greatest coach of all time. Time to show it by winning without Tom Brady.

« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2022, 09:22:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The Patriots have not drafted well in a decade.  They haven't had real impact from free agency in longer than that.  Bill the GM just isn't very good.  They needed to replace Pioli with someone competent and didn't and the scouting and front office hasn't been the same.  That obviously doesn't mean they didn't get some great players, of course they have, but not at near the level they were previously.
I love it when you say things like this. Some of the draft picks the Pats have made in the last decade:
Chandler Jones - Dont'a Hightower - Tavon Wilson - Nate Ebner - Jamie Collins - Logan Ryan - Duron Harmon - Trey Flowers - Shaq Mason - Joe Thuney - Deatrich Wise - Isaiah Wynn - Damien Harris - Mike Onwenu - Mac Jones - Kyle Dugger - Christian Barmore - Rhamondre Stevenson

The majority of those players have had significant roles in SB winning teams, and have at different times been regarded as some of the best in their position.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2022, 11:09:13 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
The Patriots have not drafted well in a decade.  They haven't had real impact from free agency in longer than that.  Bill the GM just isn't very good.  They needed to replace Pioli with someone competent and didn't and the scouting and front office hasn't been the same.  That obviously doesn't mean they didn't get some great players, of course they have, but not at near the level they were previously.
I love it when you say things like this. Some of the draft picks the Pats have made in the last decade:
Chandler Jones - Dont'a Hightower - Tavon Wilson - Nate Ebner - Jamie Collins - Logan Ryan - Duron Harmon - Trey Flowers - Shaq Mason - Joe Thuney - Deatrich Wise - Isaiah Wynn - Damien Harris - Mike Onwenu - Mac Jones - Kyle Dugger - Christian Barmore - Rhamondre Stevenson

The majority of those players have had significant roles in SB winning teams, and have at different times been regarded as some of the best in their position.

Agree. It is pretty silly to attribute every super bowl to just having an amazing qb. Brady is obviously great, but so is rodgers and so was Peyton, manning, Marino etc. There were lots of other great players on this pats run.

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2022, 12:03:28 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Bill has an incredible mind when it comes to the defensive side of the field.  Probably the best of all time. Problem is, the NFL is a passing league now and the way it’s officiated is clearly slanted to favor the offense.  Almost every example you gave for successful draft picks were defensive players. I think Mac will be a good QB, but he hasn’t done anything yet. Jury is still out on him and Stevenson as they have only played one season.

Belichick has been unable to identify and draft elite skill position players and he unlike refuses to give up the draft capital and salary necessary to acquire a top WR like a Diggs, Hopkins, AJ Brown, Hill, Adams, etc like other GM’s have. You need those sort of players to win in todays NFL. If you keep missing in the draft and are unwilling to trade for an elite offensive talent you won’t be able to contend.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 11:58:37 AM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2022, 10:58:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That is less than 20 players.  There are 7 rounds.  Every team will draft good players, but the Patriots have been missing far more than most teams and far more than they were before they let Pioli leave and didn't replace him. 

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2022, 11:10:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That is less than 20 players.  There are 7 rounds.  Every team will draft good players, but the Patriots have been missing far more than most teams and far more than they were before they let Pioli leave and didn't replace him.

Is there an analysis on this anywhere?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes