Author Topic: Kiorrik, Where Art Thou?  (Read 10530 times)

Re: Kiorrik, Where Art Thou?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2022, 01:53:23 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Isn’t the insinuation here that people that disagree with him are not empathetic to the suffering of people?

Since it was my statement, I won’t insinuate:  I do think that many people lack empathy when it gets in the way of their political views.  My personal view is that the world doesn’t care enough about protecting life in general.  That spans both political parties.

I think that with increasing view polarization of these culture war issues, people in general have lost the ability to even see the opposing point of view. The ability to step into someone else's shoes and try to understand why they think the way they do. It just gets exacerbated on the internet where people can get dug in and refuse to accept any view but theirs as valid, because their sense of self is so tied up in those views. They're called wedge issues for a reason.

When I was in business school we had an exercise where, after arguing one point of view in a debate, we would switch sides and argue the other point. Just to gain full understanding of all points of view, to help with negotiating strategy. Try and understand why the other person believes what they do, whether you agree with it or not. Someone's lived experiences might be different to yours, which is why they have a different opinion to you.

I miss Kiorrik...he reminded me of my time living in Australia and was a cool guy. I can understand wanting to take a break if things are really stressing you though. Hopefully it's à bientôt instead of adieu  :(
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2022, 02:04:44 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
When basketball was the topic he always seemed like a nice guy.

If he comes back, like others say he should probably avoid the current event topics.  He always seemed to angry have a short fuse with people that didn’t share his opinions
Greg

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2022, 02:05:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
Isn’t the insinuation here that people that disagree with him are not empathetic to the suffering of people?

Since it was my statement, I won’t insinuate:  I do think that many people lack empathy when it gets in the way of their political views.  My personal view is that the world doesn’t care enough about protecting life in general.  That spans both political parties.

I think that with increasing view polarization of these culture war issues, people in general have lost the ability to even see the opposing point of view. The ability to step into someone else's shoes and try to understand why they think the way they do. It just gets exacerbated on the internet where people can get dug in and refuse to accept any view but theirs as valid, because their sense of self is so tied up in those views. They're called wedge issues for a reason.

When I was in business school we had an exercise where, after arguing one point of view in a debate, we would switch sides and argue the other point. Just to gain full understanding of all points of view, to help with negotiating strategy. Try and understand why the other person believes what they do, whether you agree with it or not. Someone's lived experiences might be different to yours, which is why they have a different opinion to you.

I miss Kiorrik...he reminded me of my time living in Australia and was a cool guy. I can understand wanting to take a break if things are really stressing you though. Hopefully it's à bientôt instead of adieu  :(

I don’t post all that much in the current events, but I do read most of the threads. I personally like hearing other peoples viewpoints and probably have become slightly less liberal from some of the resources people have posted.

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2022, 04:56:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Kiorik had a ‘goodbye’ message back in early March or late Feb.  I PM’d him on March 5th encouraging him to return. He said he was posting more on another site. Then he did return for a while (I think) but then stopped posting.  He did get really frustrated on the CE threads. Too bad, he added a lot to CS. Hope he’ll come back at some point - hopefully he’s still lurking on CS.

I like the CE and entertainment threads a lot, especially in the off-season but I understand CE can be frustrating.  I do think most posters are respectful, the conversations are interesting, and resources are informative.  Hearing different perspectives is always valuable.

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2023, 11:49:33 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
When basketball was the topic he always seemed like a nice guy.

If he comes back, like others say he should probably avoid the current event topics.  He always seemed to angry have a short fuse with people that didn’t share his opinions

This. Had I known something I would say on CE would contribute to any extent on Kiorrik no longer providing his great insights in our basketball-focused areas of the forum, I never would have posted on CE and simply lurked on there, as I had for years. It is my biggest regret on here because I miss Kiorrik’s basketball contributions, and I deeply miss reading CE (but not posting in CE and then being ganged up on whenever I felt it was important for someone to play devil’s advocate since these issues are so complex with so many diverse viewpoints, many of which deserve to be tolerated and respected even if one disagrees vehemently with the views…Salem Witch Trials ended somewhere between 1666-1699, folks).

Kiorrik, if you are reading this, I am sorry and I hope you come back because we all miss your contributions in basketball threads.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 12:00:59 AM by GreenlyGreeny »

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2023, 01:30:53 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
I miss Nick.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2023, 03:18:32 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
Definitely there are some members here, even mods, who label you according to your political leanings and carry their attitude into the basketball threads. Regular comments about players are met with ugly responses based on assumed stereotypes. No Thank You.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2023, 07:36:34 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Guys have lives, they move on, and sadly in this day and age too many are dying way too young.   Not saying that is what happened here.

Tenn Smoothie we called people like that little ten gods in the service.   Most here don't, but some abuse their power to silence those they don't agree with... 

We know stuff went on a twitter, as far as banning people,  it's goes on at every internet site,  I suppose.   The internet has both been engineered by spcial platforms  and has grown organically in some ways into a community with it's own mores.    Stuff like Facebook and Twitter has a system of likes which generates a system of social validation.  Hence, people do the online virtue signaling to get this validation.   This is a form of insecurity.

https://www.techdetoxbox.com/weapons-of-digital-manipulation/social-validation/

https://thoughtcatalog.com/michael-hedrick/2013/02/social-media-and-the-rise-of-the-internet-validation-culture/

Also, another thing that kills me on Facebook how many people revert to grade school mentally on places like Facebook feeling a need for post every thing as a show and tell.   

I hope all these peeps are doing well even the little tin god.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2023, 06:47:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2023, 06:51:31 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
cool dude

*sippin*

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2023, 07:02:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I miss Nick.

He was a big loss, as was Kiorrik. It’s just a shame people take things so personally that they feel the need to leave. Seems like the vast majority of fallout comes from the current events thread as well. Better to just avoid it and focus on other topics.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2023, 07:21:39 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I miss Nick.

He needed a break and allowed me to creep back in here without getting big daddy Nick smacked.
ok fine

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2023, 07:36:53 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I miss Nick.

He needed a break and allowed me to creep back in here without getting big daddy Nick smacked.

I’m a staunch supporter of the bring back Nick movement.  Anyone who might still be in touch with him - let him know we’re hoping for a return.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2023, 10:34:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I miss Nick.

I’m a staunch supporter of the bring back Nick movement.  Anyone who might still be in touch with him - let him know we’re hoping for a return.

Celticsclay? Maybe Roy or Gouki could work on Kiorrik. Get the gang back together.  :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:39:56 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2023, 09:50:23 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Nick has been posting in Celticsblog actually. In fact he replied to the Muscala trade article as well. Hope he saw the reply I made under his comment lol

Honestly not sure where Kiorrik, Rollie, etc are but I’d love to see them back and hope they are okay  :)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller