Author Topic: LIV golf  (Read 48188 times)

LIV golf
« on: July 18, 2022, 03:18:33 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I’m not sure how many here watch/follow golf. The Saudis are funding a controversial new format and many are going after the players, such as Phil Mickelson, that are taking big payments. Some think that these payments come from dark and dangerous sources, which has many thinking back to 9/11 and the “Never forget” commentary. Many call LIV a form of “sportswashing” and have said that this is blood money.

I’ve heard multiple people say that the PGA tour is getting what they deserve for being greedy. Some players, such as Rory, think that players don’t deserve anything- they are lucky to have a career playing a game.

Are people pro/anti Saudi financing in sports? Certainly a contentious topic.

Re: LIV golf
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 04:05:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I’m not sure how many here watch/follow golf. The Saudis are funding a controversial new format and many are going after the players, such as Phil Mickelson, that are taking big payments. Some think that these payments come from dark and dangerous sources, which has many thinking back to 9/11 and the “Never forget” commentary. Many call LIV a form of “sportswashing” and have said that this is blood money.

I’ve heard multiple people say that the PGA tour is getting what they deserve for being greedy. Some players, such as Rory, think that players don’t deserve anything- they are lucky to have a career playing a game.

Are people pro/anti Saudi financing in sports? Certainly a contentious topic.

I’m not a big fan of watching golf, however, I did hear on WEEI that the purse size for the winner of an LIV tournament is 2-3 times larger than the PGA events. They were also saying that even the players that finish last in an LIV tournament still get a payout, which the PGA does not do. Hard to fault the players for making the switch, especially the guys that are barely making it as a pro golfer.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 04:49:19 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
The increased money (without a path for a sustainable ROI) is what people are criticizing. The numbers are huge, but are based on nefarious activities.

I see free market fans applauding Greg Norman and Phil Mickelson for pressuring the PGA tour. At the same time, 15/19 men involved in the 9/11 attacks were aligned with Saudis. After wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan, why are these golfers getting a free pass? The PGA and European tours have suspended LIV golfers, but they’re still allowed to play in the majors.

What happened to “Never forget”?

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 07:39:34 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
It's getting interesting with golfers talking a little smack.  just saw this:

Patrick Reed spoke out against Rory saying “He’ll never win a Masters to complete a career Grand Slam.” Rory later said “The only chance Reed has of getting a Grand Slam is at Denny’s.”

hahahahaha
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."