Author Topic: Which center should we sign?  (Read 39670 times)

Re: Which center should we sign?
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2022, 10:18:01 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
What about Bruno Fernando? I was intrigued with his defense a little when he was previously on the Celts. I think he has restricted free agent status, so not sure if we could get him.

« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2022, 11:19:24 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Have the Lakers used their MLE yet? If not they would have clear edge over Celtics to land Bryant. Plus could offer more playing time.

« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2022, 11:20:34 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Have the Lakers used their MLE yet? If not they would have clear edge over Celtics to land Bryant. Plus could offer more playing time.

Taxpayer MLE went to Clutch Client Lonnie Walker. I'm pretty sure he's picking between minimums at this point.

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2022, 11:26:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Taxpayer MLE went to Clutch Client Lonnie Walker. I'm pretty sure he's picking between minimums at this point.

I am surprised Lonnie Walker got more than the minimum. He hasn't shown himself to be a quality bench yet nevermind someone who can be a key rotation member which is what LAL badly needed since they have nobody on their team outside of their 3 stars who is a quality rotation player.

Maybe this is what Jeannie Buss was hinting at in her tweet in the other thread. Some shenanigans with Klutch and Lonnie Walker. So early in FA as well. Always felt odd. Nor does he fit with LeBron or Westbrook because Lonnie Walker can't shoot. It is a really bad team fit along with being an overpay.

Or it is just plain incompetence. Can't rule that out either.

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2022, 11:35:50 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
What about Bruno Fernando? I was intrigued with his defense a little when he was previously on the Celts. I think he has restricted free agent status, so not sure if we could get him.

I also liked Bruno. He was very active and physical whenever he got on the court... Mostly preseason. Bruno is still only 23.

« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2022, 12:24:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If we can’t get Bryant, I’d go for Lamarcus Aldridge. Hed be adequate back up.

« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2022, 12:30:13 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Free agency: Isaiah Roby

Trade: Onyeka Okongwu

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2022, 12:48:27 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
It seems Luke Kornet is the center we are signing
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2022, 01:00:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
We need a backup big that can play D , defend the pick and role, and shoot from outside. That greatly limits the options. Still, it’s early in the offseason and I am confident Stevens will find the right guy before training camp.

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2022, 01:10:01 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If it is true that we are signing Kornet, then we already have 5 bigs:

Horford
Williams
Williams
Gallinari
Kornet

We may sign a 6th but I suspect the priority now is another wing.  I agree that a long athletic defensive minded center type would be useful as none of Grant, Gallinari, or Kornet are that but right now we have 5 combo guards:

Smart
Brogdon
White
Pritchard
Davison

Likely to be on the team but only 4 wings (and one of them potentially a 2-way):

Tatum
Brown
Hauser
Thomas

We may not fill the 5th Combo guard slot but we need to add a wing.  Maybe they add 1 more big instead of the 5th combo guard, it makes some sense.  We need that established vet wing for the bench though, more than we need a 6th big.

« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2022, 01:16:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think we need a center *and* a wing with length,  VG.

We’re set at guard and PF.  Davidson should be a two-way.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2022, 01:26:38 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Luke Kornet is the Ringo Starr of the C's...just happy to be here.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2022, 02:30:58 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140

I am surprised Lonnie Walker got more than the minimum. He hasn't shown himself to be a quality bench yet nevermind someone who can be a key rotation member which is what LAL badly needed since they have nobody on their team outside of their 3 stars who is a quality rotation player.

Maybe this is what Jeannie Buss was hinting at in her tweet in the other thread. Some shenanigans with Klutch and Lonnie Walker. So early in FA as well. Always felt odd. Nor does he fit with LeBron or Westbrook because Lonnie Walker can't shoot. It is a really bad team fit along with being an overpay.

Or it is just plain incompetence. Can't rule that out either.

Jeanie was obviously referring to Lebron. The Lakers have signed 13 Klutch clients since 2017.

Lonnie Walker asked the Spurs to rescind his QO to sign for the same amount with the Lakers. His traditional and advanced stats suggest that it’s an overpay.

It’s the cost of dealing with this version of Lebron.

« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2022, 03:04:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Yeah, I have no idea why Brad signed him again, other than he really likes his personality. He has no upside, no real veteran presence, and is extremely limited in what he can do.

With Al's age and TL's health, we absolutely need to pick up a legitimate Center who can soak up minutes if needed. It is what it is and I've accepted that Brad just likes Luke, but for all intents and purposes, we should pretend we have 14 roster spots - similar to the Heat (Udonis).

« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2022, 03:36:55 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Yeah, I have no idea why Brad signed him again, other than he really likes his personality. He has no upside, no real veteran presence, and is extremely limited in what he can do.

With Al's age and TL's health, we absolutely need to pick up a legitimate Center who can soak up minutes if needed. It is what it is and I've accepted that Brad just likes Luke, but for all intents and purposes, we should pretend we have 14 roster spots - similar to the Heat (Udonis).

Kornet’s contract isn’t fully guaranteed, apparently.  He’s a placeholder in case we can’t find someone else.