Author Topic: NBA Off Season 2022  (Read 104567 times)

Re: Re: NBA Season 2021-22
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2022, 12:19:59 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
When the Knicks were up to make their first pick, Woj was saying that NY recently hired Jalen Brunson’s dad as an assistant coach and also mentioned that the GM for Knicks used to be his agent. Let the games begin.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 12:46:42 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2022, 02:55:19 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Marc Stein

🏀 The rising expectation in coaching circles is that Utah, with Danny Ainge entrenched as the club’s new CEO, wants to hire a young first-time coach to replace Quin Snyder. Among the assistant coaches said to have made a strong impression on the Jazz to date include Celtics assistant Will Hardy, who was a Gregg Popovich favorite with San Antonio (and USA Basketball) before making the jump to Ime Udoka's Year 1 staff in Boston, along with Suns assistant coach Kevin Young.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2022, 03:02:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Marc Stein

🏀 The rising expectation in coaching circles is that Utah, with Danny Ainge entrenched as the club’s new CEO, wants to hire a young first-time coach to replace Quin Snyder. Among the assistant coaches said to have made a strong impression on the Jazz to date include Celtics assistant Will Hardy, who was a Gregg Popovich favorite with San Antonio (and USA Basketball) before making the jump to Ime Udoka's Year 1 staff in Boston, along with Suns assistant coach Kevin Young.
Interesting that Johnnie Bryant isn't on that list. He's well-liked by Mitchell, for one
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2022, 10:18:44 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't know about that De'Anthony Melton trade for Philly. He has some Avery Bradley qualities but Melton's shot is too unreliable for my taste. He has been really bad in the playoffs the last two years. I'm not sure he is a good fit as a floor spacer next to Embiid and Harden.

I feel like Philly should've gotten more for their 1st round pick than Melton. Not sure Melton is an upgrade over Danny Green who was also 6-7 and a badly needed wing player rather than an undersized 6-2 SG.

They really needed a two way wing to replace Danny Green. Not a small SG. That was Philly's biggest weakness roster wise.

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2022, 06:04:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I don't know about that De'Anthony Melton trade for Philly. He has some Avery Bradley qualities but Melton's shot is too unreliable for my taste. He has been really bad in the playoffs the last two years. I'm not sure he is a good fit as a floor spacer next to Embiid and Harden.

I feel like Philly should've gotten more for their 1st round pick than Melton. Not sure Melton is an upgrade over Danny Green who was also 6-7 and a badly needed wing player rather than an undersized 6-2 SG.

They really needed a two way wing to replace Danny Green. Not a small SG. That was Philly's biggest weakness roster wise.
He's been a good three point shooter the last two seasons, shooting 226/583 (38.8%) in 125 games. He's awful inside the arc though, and also not a great passer.

The playoff struggles are very real. Cannot hit the ocean when it's the postseason.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2022, 10:03:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

He's been a good three point shooter the last two seasons, shooting 226/583 (38.8%) in 125 games. He's awful inside the arc though, and also not a great passer.

The playoff struggles are very real. Cannot hit the ocean when it's the postseason.
They don't need him to be a great passer.  Harden and Maxey will be running the offense.  They don't need him to shoot inside the Arc.  They need his defense and they need him to catch and shoot threes.  He should be an improvement as 3rd guard over Thybulle, Milton, Korkmaz.  Obviously they need him to perform a lot better in the playoffs than he did in the previous 2 seasons.   

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2022, 01:23:30 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

They don't need him to be a great passer.  Harden and Maxey will be running the offense.  They don't need him to shoot inside the Arc.  They need his defense and they need him to catch and shoot threes.  He should be an improvement as 3rd guard over Thybulle, Milton, Korkmaz.  Obviously they need him to perform a lot better in the playoffs than he did in the previous 2 seasons.

Ok you are more than an Embid fan. What’s the real deal? And just to be clear I’m not bagging on you I have enjoyed debating with you over the years. But some of the shine on Philly moves you post is clearly not just being an Embid fan.

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2022, 09:10:54 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Ok you are more than an Embid fan. What’s the real deal? And just to be clear I’m not bagging on you I have enjoyed debating with you over the years. But some of the shine on Philly moves you post is clearly not just being an Embid fan.
My interest in the other Sixers players is predominantly that they'll be playing with Embiid.  If Embiid gets traded to another team, I'll become interested in their other players.  I do like Maxey so I'd probably keep track of his progress.  He's sort of the anti-Simmons.  Never liked Simmons.  Ingram was my fav that draft. 

How is saying Melton is a better 3rd guard for them than their existing players shine?  How is saying he'd need to perform a lot better in the playoffs shine?  Nowhere did I say Melton was a great get.  I think he's reasonable value for the 23rd pick and an improvement over who they currently have.  They still need a 3-and-D wing.  Hence the Tucker talk. 

The Sixers have made a plenty of bad moves over the years especially with hindsight.  I know you'd agree but I expect we'd rank the moves differently.  Drafting Okafor is probably at the top of your list but that wouldn't be in my top 5 and maybe not my top 10.   

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2022, 01:03:55 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Brandon Rahbar: Sam Presti says he thinks they’ll find a different team for JaMychal Green. Not because OKC doesn’t value him but because of where he is at right now.
Source: Twitter @BrandonRahbar

Makes $8.2M. 6'8", 230lbs Forward... Career 3PT: 36.7%... I'm interested.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 01:10:27 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2022, 01:31:00 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Brandon Rahbar: Sam Presti says he thinks they’ll find a different team for JaMychal Green. Not because OKC doesn’t value him but because of where he is at right now.

Yeah, he'd be a fit here.

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2022, 01:49:51 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I've had Green on my TPE radar once DEN moved him to OKC. He's at $8.2 MM. OKC's Mike Muscala shot 43% from 3 last season and is at $3.5 MM. Derrick Favors is also there and his rebound numbers per 36 still look solid enough for a backup 5, and he's at $9.7 MM.

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2022, 02:00:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

JaMychal Green is more of a center than a forward these days. His offensive game is too limited at forward. He is a reluctant jump-shooter with deficient handles & deficient passing ability. Not shot creation. Passive & peripheral on offense. His D is good but it is not dominant. It is not enough to cover up how limited his offense is.

This forces him to play more center minutes because of his offensive limitations where his defense is less impactful because he is only 6-8 and too small.

Overall, he'd be a 3rd string PF or 3rd string C here. A good option as a 3rd stringer but he earns too much money to be a 3rd stringer ($8m). Not worth the price tag.

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2022, 02:02:23 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

JaMychal Green is more of a center than a forward these days. His offensive game is too limited at forward. He is a reluctant jump-shooter with deficient handles & deficient passing ability. Not shot creation. Passive & peripheral on offense. His D is good but it is not dominant. It is not enough to cover up how limited his offense is.

This forces him to play more center minutes because of his offensive limitations where his defense is less impactful because he is only 6-8 and too small.

Overall, he'd be a 3rd string PF or 3rd string C here. A good option as a 3rd stringer but he earns too much money to be a 3rd stringer ($8m). Not worth the price tag.

Bad shooting year last year but a career 36% 3 point shooter...

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2022, 02:54:22 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

in terms of Green's offensive game, the C's really just need him to spread the floor and hit open 3's. The last 4 years prior to this season, he was averaging a hair under 40% from 3pt. In terms of deficient handles and passing, that's not really a big concern as they would not be asking him to handle the ball or initiate the offense. C's don't need him to be a shot creator either. Just needs to be able to hit 3's, play good defense on 3/4's and rebound. If he can give you  8pts/5rebs per game in 19mins off the bench while shooting 40% from 3pt like he did the year before, that's well worth $8M/year.

Also, as a comparison, Grant Williams per 36 last season was 11pts/5rebs. Green's was 14pts/9reb. Pretty significant difference.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 04:20:59 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2022, 11:43:43 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Kyrie Irving receives permission to discuss sign-and-trade deals

While Nets GM Sean Marks and superstar forward Kevin Durant have yet to speak this offseason, Kyrie Irving’s camp has requested and received permission from the Nets to speak with other teams about sign-and-trade packages, according to multiple sources familiar with the situation. – via Kristian Winfield @ New York Daily News

Irving reportedly has six teams on his radar: the Lakers, Clippers, Knicks, Heat, 76ers and Mavericks. A Durant and Westbrook reunion in Brooklyn remains unlikely, according to a source. The Knicks, Mavericks and Heat are the teams that have the biggest capacity to pull off a deal for Irving, but the Knicks and Mavericks appear to be in a bidding war over free agent guard Jalen Brunson. – via Kristian Winfield @ New York Daily News