Author Topic: Ryan McDonough suggests Kevin Huerter  (Read 3233 times)

Ryan McDonough suggests Kevin Huerter
« on: June 24, 2022, 08:06:16 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/celtics/clues-that-can-lead-brad-stevens-to-a-championship

He’s been talked about over the years. Could he be a good glue guy, first off the bench, scoring spark plug and outside shooting threat?

He would plug a lot of holes and I always liked his style of play.

Re: Ryan McDonough suggests Kevin Huerter
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 08:07:49 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Love to have him & Collins!!! But not happening
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 08:14:14 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Think Huerter is a real possibility

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 08:16:24 AM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
He had an off year shooting from deep two years ago. I think I’d be pretty happy with his addition and frankly D White becomes trade bait.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 08:25:52 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
I've always liked him as a big third guard.  Solid player from Maryland and can shoot 3s.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 08:37:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I've been including him in my Collins trade proposals for years as I think he'd be a decent replacement for Smart (who I always have going to Atlanta in the trade proposals).  I don't think he makes a lot of sense without one of the main rotation guys leaving though as there won't be enough minutes for him on a team that has Smart, White, Brown, and Tatum, especially when guys like Pritchard and Grant also get minutes and do different things.  Huerter is just too redundant with the first 4 to get meaningful minutes.  Now if they just wanted to give him away into a TPE, I think you'd have to do it, but I wouldn't trade value for him without it being a much bigger trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 09:08:53 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I'd pass on Huerter. I believe he's overpaid.

- He isn't explosive enough to beat his opponent 1-on-1, hence he cannot consistently create his own shot.
- His D leaves a lot to be desired.

He's basically a floor spacer and a facilitator. Wouldn't be willing to pay $65M over the next 4 seasons for a run-of-the-mill guy who isn't a 2-way player.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2022, 09:12:39 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
seems atl would be pretty dumb to let him go.

would love to have him though

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2022, 09:13:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
https://www.audacy.com/weei/sports/celtics/clues-that-can-lead-brad-stevens-to-a-championship

He’s been talked about over the years. Could he be a good glue guy, first off the bench, scoring spark plug and outside shooting threat?

That may be overrating his offense. He is not much of a scorer. He scores 12ppg in 30mpg. Most of his shot attempts are created by others for him. Last year was the 1st year of his career he had a positive TS% due to his inability to get to the FT line (1 FT per 10 FGAs). So he is reliant on his outside shot falling.

Huerter is a solid glue guy. He can shoot from outside and he can handle & pass the ball a little. He is an adequate defender - close to middle of the pack, maybe a bit below average.

He is not a 6th man. He is not better than D White. He'll be more consistent than G Williams on offense but not overall because G Williams gives you more defense. So Huerter would be the 8th man here which is typical of what you would expect from him on most contenders. He can be a stop-gap starting SG if hard up or an 8th man type bench player.

I like him. He'd be good to have. But I'd be wary of overstating his capabilities & what he'd bring to the table.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 09:24:29 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

That may be overrating his offense. He is not much of a scorer. He scores 12ppg in 30mpg. Most of his shot attempts are created by others for him. Last year was the 1st year of his career he had a positive TS% due to his inability to get to the FT line (1 FT per 10 FGAs). So he is reliant on his outside shot falling.

Huerter is a solid glue guy. He can shoot from outside and he can handle & pass the ball a little. He is an adequate defender - close to middle of the pack, maybe a bit below average.

He is not a 6th man. He is not better than D White. He'll be more consistent than G Williams on offense but not overall because G Williams gives you more defense. So Huerter would be the 8th man here which is typical of what you would expect from him on most contenders. He can be a stop-gap starting SG if hard up or an 8th man type bench player.

I like him. He'd be good to have. But I'd be wary of overstating his capabilities & what he'd bring to the table.
for what he gets paid, he needs to be a lot better than an 8th man

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2022, 09:47:29 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

- He isn't explosive enough to beat his opponent 1-on-1, hence he cannot consistently create his own shot.

He's basically a floor spacer and a facilitator. Wouldn't be willing to pay $65M over the next 4 seasons for a run-of-the-mill guy who isn't a 2-way player.

He is only 23 so you would be banking on development but 4 years / $65M is a pretty hefty contract.  Not sure why Atl would give him that contract and then trade him.  I guess what people are thinking is that he fits our TPE so maybe we can get him for young players (outside our core) and future picks?  Doesn't seem like such a good deal for ATL.

The thing with contracts like this is that in say 3 years, $18M for the player Hueter may become may not be that much.  Salaries always go up.  Or it could go the other way and if Hueter doesn't improve much, this is going to be dead weight on the cap.

I don't see him moving unless ATL pulls off a deal for Beal or Durant someone like that.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2022, 09:51:48 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He is only 23 so you would be banking on development but 4 years / $65M is a pretty hefty contract.  Not sure why Atl would give him that contract and then trade him.  I guess what people are thinking is that he fits our TPE so maybe we can get him for young players (outside our core) and future picks?  Doesn't seem like such a good deal for ATL.

The thing with contracts like this is that in say 3 years, $18M for the player Hueter may become may not be that much.  Salaries always go up.  Or it could go the other way and if Hueter doesn't improve much, this is going to be dead weight on the cap.

I don't see him moving unless ATL pulls off a deal for Beal or Durant someone like that.

From what I've read a lot of teams are looking to improve their teams by shredding salaries. Some of those salaries would fit nicely into our TPEs and we should be in a total all-in mode. If money is no object having Huerter come off our bench would be a solid selection depending on what else could be had.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2022, 10:15:07 AM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

14+- million next yr with standard raises is not hefty for a high volume shooter. Compare salaries to Harris, Beasley, Robinson, Kinnard, McDermott. It's the cost of getting a shooter

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2022, 10:21:17 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

14+- million next yr with standard raises is not hefty for a high volume shooter. Compare salaries to Harris, Beasley, Robinson, Kinnard, McDermott. It's the cost of getting a shooter

Of all the guys you listed, I think Heurter has the most untapped potential as well.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2022, 10:45:13 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Of all the guys you listed, I think Heurter has the most untapped potential as well.

Hueter is a no brainer as a salary dump pick up.