Author Topic: Trade Exception Idea  (Read 2047 times)

Trade Exception Idea
« on: June 23, 2022, 06:18:19 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Fournier’s 17+ million trade exception expires on July 18th, so why not try and use it for some much needed 3 point scoring.

Celtics: Duncan Robinson

Heat: two (future) second round picks.

—————————

Why do the Heat do it? Because Duncan Robinson was a non-factor for them against the Celtics and with the trade exception they can create $10 + million cap space to either bring back P.J Tucker or go and get a free agent that would fill a need, not available without the exception.

Why do the Celtics do it? Because their second unit desperately needs scoring and the hope would be Robinson was just in a funk and he will come good next season.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Trade Exception Idea
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Yeah, he's a guy I'd be interested in. I'd see him more as a fall-back than first choice sort of option as in he'd be good if nothing better materializes.

I was disappointed in him last year but I do like his game & I do like his attitude in responding to the demotion = redoubling his efforts on his end instead of blaming his coach and trying to earn his way back in to the team.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 10:39:04 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Duncan Robinson does match up well with the TPE (he is at $16.9M for 2022-23) but all he does is shoot 3s.  I think the shine has worn off of him and I prefer to let Miami pay off the remaining four years of this now bloated contract.

It is tough to say but if on 17 Jul 2022, we don't have another deal in place for this, is Robinson better than just letting this expire? I am not so sure he is due to the contract.  We are going to be tax payers for years to come in any case so you could argue it doesn't matter but I will hold out hope that we can do better than Duncan Robinson with this TPE.

The clock is ticking though.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 11:21:58 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
if we had no other options than Robinson for using the TPE, the length of his contract would still give me pause.  if it was only good through next season I'd have less issues with it but that's a lot of time to have that contract on the books if he can't be a more-effective all-around player for us

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 11:25:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Fournier’s 17+ million trade exception expires on July 18th, so why not try and use it for some much needed 3 point scoring....
Because Robinson can't defend a chair so he doesn't fit with the current "Celtics identity".  Furthermore, the overall salary of the team will rise and you have not accounted for the luxury tax hit of add 17mil.

I actually think Brad is going to let the Fournier TPE expire.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 03:34:38 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Why don't we seem to have interest in PJ Tucker? We could use another dog, a tough guy that can hit 3s. Not sure what his cost would be.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 03:45:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Why don't we seem to have interest in PJ Tucker? We could use another dog, a tough guy that can hit 3s. Not sure what his cost would be.
Isn't Tucker just a replica of Grant Williams?

A slowish bulky forward lacking in size who can hit spot up 3s? Why do we need a 2nd G Will? Don't we have bigger needs? A true SG/SF? Or a more gifted offensive creator? Or even a creative backup PG to upgrade over Pritchard and play next to D White?

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 03:54:27 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Isn't Tucker just a replica of Grant Williams?

A slowish bulky forward lacking in size who can hit spot up 3s? Why do we need a 2nd G Will? Don't we have bigger needs? A true SG/SF? Or a more gifted offensive creator? Or even a creative backup PG to upgrade over Pritchard and play next to D White?
Tucker never looks slowish to me.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 04:46:30 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

He’s a free agent, and he’s looking for more than we’re allowed to give a free agent due to the hard cap.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 05:40:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Robinson’s defensive woes are greatly overstated. He’s below average, sure, but he’s no league-worst wing defender. I think good defensive coaching can help - which we have an abundance of.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 05:49:40 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
No thanks. I’d rather let it expire than go deeper into the taxpayer g him 17 mill a season
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 06:41:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'd do it if no other option to use the TPE that is better. We would have nothing to lose, just bigger payroll.

Having Robinson would help us create a more motion offense, akin to the Warriors. That dude runs off so many pick and rolls it makes me dizzy.

He also showed flashes of becoming a better driver when overplayed at the 3 point line.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 06:51:08 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Fournier’s 17+ million trade exception expires on July 18th, so why not try and use it for some much needed 3 point scoring....
Because Robinson can't defend a chair so he doesn't fit with the current "Celtics identity".  Furthermore, the overall salary of the team will rise and you have not accounted for the luxury tax hit of add 17mil.

He’s a role player who fills a need. Not every player on the roster needs to be an excellent defender. Cs had an awful bench. I’m not saying trade for him but think he’s be an asset, not a massive liability in spurts.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 07:14:12 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

He’s a role player who fills a need. Not every player on the roster needs to be an excellent defender. Cs had an awful bench. I’m not saying trade for him but think he’s be an asset, not a massive liability in spurts.

He's a role player who couldn't crack the rotation against the cs and when he played he was such a net negative liability.  No thanks.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2022, 07:34:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

He's a role player who couldn't crack the rotation against the cs and when he played he was such a net negative liability.  No thanks.
Except for the games in which he played significant minutes...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)