Author Topic: Philly offering Thybulle, #23 to create space?  (Read 4987 times)

Philly offering Thybulle, #23 to create space?
« on: June 22, 2022, 07:10:24 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sources have also said the Sixers are looking to make a three-team trade that could involve Matisse Thybulle and the No. 23 pick to create space. Sources have said the Sixers are attempting to trade Tobias Harris, but they are having a tough time getting teams to take on his lucrative contract.
Source: Keith Pompey @ The Philadelphia Inquirer

Keith Pompey @PompeyOnSixers
Sources: Sixers pursuing P.J. Tucker; Matisse Thybulle and a pick being shopped to create cap space

This rumor seems to disconnect Harris from the Thybulle / #23 package.  The rumor itself isn't that clear.  Why a 3-team trade?  What, besides cap space, are the Sixers trying to get out of it?  A future pick?  A pure cap dump?  Attaching Danny Green?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Philly offering Thybulle, #23 to create space?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 07:23:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Who would have thought giving Tobias Harris a 5/180 contract would backfire ::)

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 08:05:08 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Thybulle is only making $4.4M.  The whole idea that they would try to dump what is a cheap contract in of itself makes no sense.  Trying to dump Harris ($37.6M) with a pick makes sense.  Maybe this reporter has the story mixed up.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 08:22:27 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
CBS: "Let's send the paperwork to the league office to make it official."

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 08:26:22 AM »

• Paul Silas

We'll take Danny Green's contract too into our trade exception. And Furkan.

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 08:28:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

We'll take Danny Green's contract too into our trade exception.

I don't think that would be worth it for the Celts.  We'd eat up the entirety of the TPE for an injured player and a defense-only player, with the only real asset being the #23 pick in a weak draft.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 08:31:23 AM »

• Paul Silas

We'll take Danny Green's contract too into our trade exception.

I don't think that would be worth it for the Celts.  We'd eat up the entirety of the TPE for an injured player and a defense-only player, with the only real asset being the #23 pick in a weak draft.

I guess I'm expecting less from the TPE. I feel like getting an All-NBA defensive player, even if he is very limited, is a great get. He would continue to magnify our strengths and give us great depth on the wing.

On top of that, the Green contract is sneaky helpful. It is essentially a TPE that could be aggregated with Theis, Nesmith, and Pritchard in a few months for a 30million dollar contract. Plus, you then also have another prospect to include in that trade.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 08:38:52 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2022, 08:36:33 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Sources have also said the Sixers are looking to make a three-team trade that could involve Matisse Thybulle and the No. 23 pick to create space. Sources have said the Sixers are attempting to trade Tobias Harris, but they are having a tough time getting teams to take on his lucrative contract.

Sources: Sixers pursuing P.J. Tucker; Matisse Thybulle and a pick being shopped to create cap space

This rumor seems to disconnect Harris from the Thybulle / #23 package.  The rumor itself isn't that clear.  Why a 3-team trade?  What, besides cap space, are the Sixers trying to get out of it?  A future pick?  A pure cap dump?  Attaching Danny Green?

It has to be as part of a Harris dump.  The Sixers are $30+ million over the cap — the only way they’re getting space for Tucker is to dump Tobias.

As for the three-team trade, my guess is that they’re trying to take on little salary.  So Harris might go to one team that doesn’t have the full cap space to take him on, lesser salaries to create that space/match salaries go to the the third team, and the pick and Thybulle are spread amongst the two teams.

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 08:38:39 AM »

• Paul Silas

It has to be as part of a Harris dump.  The Sixers are $30+ million over the cap — the only way they’re getting space for Tucker is to dump Tobias.

As for the three-team trade, my guess is that they’re trying to take on little salary.  So Harris might go to one team that doesn’t have the full cap space to take him on, lesser salaries to create that space/match salaries go to the the third team, and the pick and Thybulle are spread amongst the two teams.

Green is dead salary too now.

Edit: I'm wrong. His contract is non-guaranteed through July 1st. Furkan is dead salary though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 08:50:18 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 08:47:30 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
So here is what I could come up with.

Miami - Harris, future 2nd (from Bos)
Philly - Lowry, Tucker, future 2nd (from Bos)
Boston - Robinson, Thybulle, 23

So Boston absorbs Robinson into the Fournier TPE, Thybulle into a smaller TPE, and gets 23 for 2 future 2nd's.  Miami gets out of Lowry and Robinson while getting a solid player in Harris.  Philly gets out of Harris, but takes on Lowry and gets Tucker at the expense of Thybulle and 23.

Edit: And I totally get 3-team trades aren't common, especially for 3 contenders to all trade with each other, but I do think it is a trade that makes a fair amount of sense for all 3 teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 08:49:47 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

He’s also not guaranteed for next year, so if the Sixers don’t want him on the books, they have 9 days to make that happen at no cost.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 08:52:04 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

So Boston absorbs Robinson into the Fournier TPE, Thybulle into a smaller TPE, and gets 23 for 2 future 2nd's.  Miami gets out of Lowry and Robinson while getting a solid player in Harris.  Philly gets out of Harris, but takes on Lowry and gets Tucker at the expense of Thybulle and 23.

Edit: And I totally get 3-team trades aren't common, especially for 3 contenders to all trade with each other, but I do think it is a trade that makes a fair amount of sense for all 3 teams.

Robinson’s salary is terrible and the Celtics should not need to trade 2nd round picks as part of it.  Bobby Marks was suggesting that moving Robinson would cost Miami a 1st and player.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2022, 08:54:27 AM »

• Paul Silas

Robinson’s salary is terrible and the Celtics should not need to trade 2nd round picks as part of it.  Bobby Marks was suggesting that moving Robinson would cost Miami a 1st and player.

I like Robinson as a buy-low candidate with the TE, but it does seem like the Heat are getting out of a lot of dead salary and getting back a fairly useful player.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 08:57:54 AM »

• Paul Silas

He’s also not guaranteed for next year, so if the Sixers don’t want him on the books, they have 9 days to make that happen at no cost.

The Cs could take him into their TE, giving the Sixers a 10mil TE to work with during the season, without needing to pay him throughout the season.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 09:03:35 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

The Cs could take him into their TE, giving the Sixers a 10mil TE to work with during the season, without needing to pay him throughout the season.

Only if he were guaranteed prior to the trade.  His outgoing value is 0 because he’s not guaranteed for next year.