Author Topic: Beal: I’ve Already Made Decision/Been Recruited Alot  (Read 6731 times)

Re: Beal: I’ve Already Made Decision/Been Recruited Alot
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2022, 07:34:28 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
When LeBron signed with the Heat, he took a discount to put that team together.  Why can't Beal do the same thing with the C's since he's already earned 178M?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2022, 07:59:44 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
As I posted elsewhere I think this trade makes some level of sense for both teams

Smart, White, Nesmith, 23 1st, 25 1st (top 4)

for

Beal, Smith

so post-trade contracts

PG - Beal, Pritchard, Smith
SG - Brown
SF - Tatum, Hauser, Stauskas
PF - Horford, Grant, Morgan, Fitts
C - Rob, Theis

That leaves 2 open roster spots with all the TPE's and the TMLE though not much draft capital.  Team clearly could use a wing or two, but I think there may be some targets out there with the TPE's that might serve more as salary dumps for the team trading i.e. guys like Duncan Robinson or Maxi Kleber.

Can Beal really run point?
I don't think he can (especially come playoff time), but the consensus seems to be that defense is more important than shot creation / BBIQ / court vision / passing ability. Personally speaking, I disagree with this view, but it's a matter of personal preference. I mean, it's not like we'd suddenly become a bad defensive team if we started Beal at SG. We'd still have 4 terrific defenders in Smart, Timelord, Brown, Tatum, plus one extra shot creator in Beal to give us an offensive boost. All things considered, we'd become a much better team.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 09:07:46 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2022, 08:01:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's someone I don't really understand. Every time he makes cryptic comments about wanting to win, yet he has stuck with horrible Washington teams for more money all his career.
Since when is loyalty considered a negative characteristic? Staying with the Wiz doesn't necessarily mean he values money over winning. He may wanna stay loyal to the team that drafted him. Whatever the case may be, I couldn't care less tbh. All I care is weather he's good enough to help us raise banner #18. The way I see it, he'd make the C's the #1 favorites to win it all next season. That's all that matters.

Btw, most of the scenarios in this thread assume he will opt in to help us facilitate a trade without having to deal with the restrictions of the hard cap. It's a bit contradictory to think he values money over winning, while at the same time expect from him to opt in and lose money in the process.
Weird that this is what you inferred from my post. Not sure I wrote that loyalty was negative - more that his ability to be in touch with reality about the situation in Washington is wrong.

I also don’t care about all that if he wants to come to Boston and commit.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2022, 09:37:22 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I don’t see how Beal ends up here. Sure, Smart+White makes sense salary-wise but trades aren’t JUST a salary matching exercise. Maybe someone can convince me why this trade makes sense for BOTH teams? Like Beal is an upgrade over Smart, sure, but C’s built their identity on defense and you trade the DPOY for a guy who barely plays that side of the floor?
- LilRip

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2022, 09:39:04 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 652
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I expect Beal to resign in Washington. Doesn’t seem like a guy that wants to get out of his comfort zone.

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2022, 09:53:24 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
As I posted elsewhere I think this trade makes some level of sense for both teams

for

Beal, Smith

so post-trade contracts

SG - Brown
C - Rob, Theis

That leaves 2 open roster spots with all the TPE's and the TMLE though not much draft capital.  Team clearly could use a wing or two, but I think there may be some targets out there with the TPE's that might serve more as salary dumps for the team trading i.e. guys like Duncan Robinson or Maxi Kleber.

Yeah, that’s a pretty bad return for Washington. White and Smart are repetitive, both combo guards that are very good defensively, but can’t shoot. Nesmith is worthless at this point and the picks most likely aren’t going to be very good for the next 3+ years. Jrue holiday netted New Orleans: Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, two future first round picks, right to swap two additional first round picks. Beal is a better player, The Wizards would never accept that offer.
You are not thinking about it right. The Wizards have zero leverage. If Beal wants to go to Boston he tells them they have two options 1) he’ll opt in to his contacts but only if they trade him to Boston or 2) he’ll opt out of his contract and they’ll get nothing.

So the trade simply has to be better than nothing. Smart is reigning DPOY and we just gave up a first and a pick swap for White. So they both have value. It might take a third team to make it all work, but if Beal wants to come to Boston and the Cs want him, a deal can absolutely get done.

Basically the same way Anthony Davis worked his way onto the Lakers.  The Lakers or he walked.

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2022, 09:59:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

for

Beal, Smith

so post-trade contracts

SG - Brown
C - Rob, Theis

I don't think he can (especially come playoff time), but the consensus seems to be that defense is more important than shot creation / BBIQ / court vision / passing ability. Personally speaking, I disagree with this view, but it's a matter of personal preference. I mean, it's not like we'd suddenly become a bad defensive team if we started Beal at SG. We'd still have 4 terrific defenders in Smart, Timelord, Brown, Tatum, plus one extra shot creator in Beal to give us an offensive boost. All things considered, we'd become a much better team.
You are trading Smart in this scenario.

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2022, 10:11:30 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

for

Beal, Smith

so post-trade contracts

SG - Brown
C - Rob, Theis

In my scenario, we are trading Horford + White + pick(s). Not sure why you guys are unwilling to include Horford in a trade for Beal. I love his game as well, but it's a no-brainer imo.

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2022, 10:30:21 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
When LeBron signed with the Heat, he took a discount to put that team together.  Why can't Beal do the same thing with the C's since he's already earned 178M?

Maybe because Beal makes nowhere near the endorsement money that Lebron does.

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2022, 10:39:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

for

Beal, Smith

so post-trade contracts

SG - Brown
C - Rob, Theis

In my scenario, we are trading Horford + White + pick(s). Not sure why you guys are unwilling to include Horford in a trade for Beal. I love his game as well, but it's a no-brainer imo.
Because long term financially it makes way more sense to keep the guy that is expiring and because Horford is a much greater need on the team in that scenario.  If you trade Horford, there is a gigantic hole down low which is much harder to fill.  Finding a back-up guard that can play defense (albeit not at Smart's level) is much easier to find on the open market. 

Trading Horford + White, means either Boston goes really small i.e. you start Smart, Beal, Brown, Tatum, and Rob or you push Smart to the bench and limit minutes while starting a much lesser player in the front court.  The roster fit just makes way more sense to trade both Smart + White for Beal.  That is a consolidation of minutes while still keeping the interior defense, spacing, etc.  And that doesn't even get into the much cheaper long term salary option that will be Horford vs. Smart.  The dollars absolutely need to be accounted for and Horford will sign for a much cheaper extension next summer than what Smart would be. 

And that also doesn't account for Washington who'd much rather have the higher value and younger player in Smart than the expiring veteran that is Horford. 

A Beal trade really only makes sense for both teams if the matching salary is Smart + White.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2022, 10:47:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

for

Beal, Smith

so post-trade contracts

SG - Brown
C - Rob, Theis

Yeah, that’s a pretty bad return for Washington. White and Smart are repetitive, both combo guards that are very good defensively, but can’t shoot. Nesmith is worthless at this point and the picks most likely aren’t going to be very good for the next 3+ years. Jrue holiday netted New Orleans: Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, two future first round picks, right to swap two additional first round picks. Beal is a better player, The Wizards would never accept that offer.
First, the Bucks gave up Bledsoe, Hill, Hampton, 2 future 1st's, and 2 swaps, so Adams didn't leave Milwaukee in that trade.  Bledsoe and Hill had no value and probably cost the Bucks a 1st and a swap to get out of the contracts.

Second, Smart and White also much better players than Adams and Bledsoe and Holiday was brought in to ensure that Giannis signed his supermax, so they had to do something. 

Third, Holiday never asked to be traded nor was requesting out.  In this scenario Beal would be. 

I do suspect, Washington would move Smart or White, if not both, in that scenario, but they'd pretty easily get at a minimum a 1st round pick for either one.  So they absolutely could go all in the draft pick route if they wanted.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2022, 12:21:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

for

Beal, Smith

so post-trade contracts

SG - Brown
C - Rob, Theis

You are not thinking about it right. The Wizards have zero leverage. If Beal wants to go to Boston he tells them they have two options 1) he’ll opt in to his contacts but only if they trade him to Boston or 2) he’ll opt out of his contract and they’ll get nothing.

So the trade simply has to be better than nothing. Smart is reigning DPOY and we just gave up a first and a pick swap for White. So they both have value. It might take a third team to make it all work, but if Beal wants to come to Boston and the Cs want him, a deal can absolutely get done.

Basically the same way Anthony Davis worked his way onto the Lakers.  The Lakers or he walked.

New Orleans received: Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and multiple unprotected first-round picks and swaps. Not bad for a team with “Zero leverage”.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2022, 12:34:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

for

Beal, Smith

so post-trade contracts

SG - Brown
C - Rob, Theis

New Orleans received: Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, and multiple unprotected first-round picks and swaps. Not bad for a team with “Zero leverage”.

Exactly. In retrospect, that was a really great trade for New Orleans.

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2022, 12:35:33 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
If you can put Beal, Brown, and Tatum together you have to go for it. Just trading Brown for Beal is a sidewards step.

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2022, 12:43:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If you can put Beal, Brown, and Tatum together you have to go for it. Just trading Brown for Beal is a sidewards step.
It's probably a backwards step. Beal had his best scoring years taking 23 shots a game. Give Jaylen 23 shots a game and he's most likely averaging well over 30 PPG. And Jaylen's defense is so much better than Beal's.