Author Topic: Kyle Kuzma?  (Read 3132 times)

Re: Kyle Kuzma?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2022, 12:47:51 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
If you could get him by absorbing him into the TPE and a couple second round picks then sure. Not sure his value is higher than that given he's an expiring.

Advanced stats for whatever reason hate the guy.

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2022, 02:09:13 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I'd be fine with Kuzma or KCP. There'll be quite a few options with the Fournier TPE, excited to see how they use it.

KCP would be much better.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2022, 02:14:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hard pass on Kuzma. Last thing we need is yet another high-usage, score-first (s)wing. We already got the Jays for that. Unlike the Jays, Kuz is a below average defender.

If anything, I believe we need a low-usage, pass-first swing who's an above average defender. That's the exact opposite of Kuzma. First name that comes to mind is Kyle Anderson.

He's actually improved a lot as a defender; that is a criticism more accurate when he played for the Lakers.

He has also become a really good rebounder, something we could have used in the Finals.

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2022, 03:37:50 PM »

Offline satch

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 136
Kuzma might move the needle. I think Rondo is finished but a Rondo type guard coming off the bench would help too.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2022, 04:28:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Last thing we need is yet another high-usage, score-first (s)wing.

Why?  We certainly need an offensive wing off the bench.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2022, 05:16:01 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

Yes we do! When either of the J’s sat, leaving the other on the court alone, our offense was basically 1 on 5 (or 8 if you count the refs) because there wasn’t anyone reliable to pass the ball to. Occasionally someone else would have a moment, but we need someone that can be consistent. They don’t have to be a star, or even a starter. Just consistent offense or at least an outlet.

Nesmith isn’t that and may never be.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2022, 06:10:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hard pass on Kuzma. Last thing we need is yet another high-usage, score-first (s)wing. We already got the Jays for that. Unlike the Jays, Kuz is a below average defender.

If anything, I believe we need a low-usage, pass-first swing who's an above average defender. That's the exact opposite of Kuzma. First name that comes to mind is Kyle Anderson.

He's actually improved a lot as a defender; that is a criticism more accurate when he played for the Lakers.

He has also become a really good rebounder, something we could have used in the Finals.
His passing also made a significant jump, without a significant jump in turnovers. Career highs in rebounding, free throw rate and blocks. All good indicators of his improvement areas.

I don't think he's as bad a defender as he once was.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2022, 06:33:09 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

His passing also made a significant jump, without a significant jump in turnovers. Career highs in rebounding, free throw rate and blocks. All good indicators of his improvement areas.

I don't think he's as bad a defender as he once was.

Yeah it looks like his assists are up. Celts NEED more scoring, and it sounds like he's a decent defender. Maybe he can bring Beal with him. lol.

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2022, 07:25:41 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Cause he'd be taking shots away from the Jays and he's clearly worse than the Jays. Both Tatum and Brown have score-first mentality. If we are going after a (s)wing, gimme a player who can contribute to winning without demanding the ball in his hands. Ideally, someone with above average court vision cause we lack a headed playmaker in the half court. For instance, Kyle Anderson, Nic Batum, healthy Joe Ingles, etc.

If we can somehow acquire a better player than Brown (for instance, Beal), then Brown would have to adjust in a more limited role. Unlike Kuz, Brown is a 2-way player, hence he doesn't have to score loads of points to impact winning. I reckon he'd be an elite 3rd banana.

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2022, 07:32:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Cause he'd be taking shots away from the Jays and he's clearly worse than the Jays. Both Tatum and Brown have score-first mentality. If we are going after a (s)wing, gimme a player who can contribute to winning without demanding the ball in his hands. Ideally, someone with above average court vision cause we lack a headed playmaker in the half court. For instance, Kyle Anderson, Nic Batum, healthy Joe Ingles, etc.

If we can somehow acquire a better player than Brown (for instance, Beal), then Brown would have to adjust in a more limited role. Unlike Kuz, Brown is a 2-way player, hence he doesn't have to score loads of points to impact winning. I reckon he'd be an elite 3rd banana.
How is Nic Batum or an injured, old Ingles a better passer than Kuzma? Have you watched Kuzma at all since he joined Washington? He is absolutely a more dynamic playmaker than Batum is these days. He's also a better scorer, rebounder and shooter than Anderson is.

Over the last 20 games he played Kuz averaged over 5 assists per game. In the 33 games he played in 2022 he averaged over 4 assists per game, to go along with 21ppg and 9rpg on decent efficiency. This idea that Kuzma is some sort of ball hog is a bit of a myth these days.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2022, 07:46:15 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

How is Nic Batum or an injured, old Ingles a better passer than Kuzma? Have you watched Kuzma at all since he joined Washington? He is absolutely a more dynamic playmaker than Batum is these days. He's also a better scorer, rebounder and shooter than Anderson is.

Over the last 20 games he played Kuz averaged over 5 assists per game. In the 33 games he played in 2022 he averaged over 4 assists per game, to go along with 21ppg and 9rpg on decent efficiency. This idea that Kuzma is some sort of ball hog is a bit of a myth these days.
He's playing with the ball in his hands a lot more than Batum or Ingles do, as evidenced by his career high in USG%. It's way easier to amass high assist numbers when having the ball in your hands. His ast/to ratio indicates he's nothing special as a passer. He also leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive side of the ball as evidenced by all the advanced metrics.

Def EPM: -0.1
Def RAPTOR: -0.6
D-LEBRON: -0.26

Can't say I've watched him a lot on the Wiz, but I tend to trust the advanced metrics. I had watched him a bit more when he was on the Fakers.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 08:14:26 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2022, 08:16:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

He's playing with the ball in his hands a lot more than Batum or Ingles do, as evidenced by his career high in USG%. It's way easier to amass high assist numbers when having the ball in your hands. His ast/to ratio indicate he's nothing special as a passer. He also leaves a lot to be desired on the defensive side of the ball as evidenced by all the advanced metrics.

Def EPM: -0.1
Def RAPTOR: -0.6
D-LEBRON: -0.26

Can't say I've watched him a lot on the Wiz, but I tend to trust the advanced metrics. I had watched him a bit more when he was on the Fakers.
Those advanced metrics indicate an average, or at worst a slightly below average defender. Guys like Anderson score as average to slightly above average. I'll take better scoring, rebounding and shooting over marginal gaps in passing and defence.

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2022, 09:15:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
He is under contract next season for $13M, then a player option in 2023-24.  He would fit in the TPE so if WAS was looking to trade him, we would have options.  Stevens and Udoka seem to have a very specific type of player they like.  I am not sure that Kuzma would fit that mold. 

In terms of defense, for us, we would need him to cover PFs.  He would get some minutes as a wing but the primary opportunity for him would be as a swing/PF.  This was pretty much his role on WAS.  He was most often the second big with Gafford.  I would not have a problem with this but it depends on what we would give up.

Maybe they want to shed some money before they resign Beal.  I would be happy to help them with that.