Author Topic: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 57419 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #300 on: March 03, 2023, 10:46:01 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
The Last of Us is starting to lose me a bit with the back stories.  I’m ok with a flashback or two but several episodes have been 95% back story and maybe 5% plot advancement.
one full episode of historical flashback/sidetrack would have been ok.  2 have really put a crimp in interest of this show.  episodes were well done but they really didn't advance the storyline much at all.

Thinking the same...

Well, they had to do a backstory on Ellie eventually. It was an average episode, but the two prior were incredible.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #301 on: March 03, 2023, 10:59:28 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
1883 is really good. Sam Elliot is such a great actor.

I agree but I think I like 1923 better.

I don't know.  Just finished 1923 and it seems like the story didn't move at all.

Felt like they were milking it to get multiple seasons out of it.

For sure.  The African storyline dragged a bit, and was silly at times.  And, some of the scenes were gratuitously misogynistic.  But overall, it kept me entertained, and Ford and Mirren were great.

In 1883, I just didn’t care for Elsa.  In general, I don’t care for how Sheridan writes love stories (1883, 1923, Yellowstone, Mayor of Kingstown).
So far I've only watched the 1st 4 episodes on 1923 but the African storyline was nonsense.  Not sure what scenes, you are referring to, but things were very misogynistic back in 1923.  Women in the US had just gotten the vote a few years earlier.  At that time, women's place was most certainly in the home. 

In 1883, Elsa (and her narrative) were the best part.  Remove her and there is not much left of the story.  What love stories are there on Yellowstone?

You need to go further in 1923 to know the scenes I'm talking about.  Misogyny in general is a historical fact.  Some of the scenes in the finale and the episode or two before are just gratuitous. 

On Yellowstone, I'm referring to the relationship between John and Summer.  But, really, almost every relationship in that show has the complexity of something in middle school, outside of Beth and Rip.

As for 1883, you're right that outside of Elsa there isn't much story at all.  And Elsa's story is basically: fell instantly in love with cowboy, cowboy dies, couple weeks later fell instantly in love with Native American, Elsa dies, all while speaking in the most melodramatic way possible.  I found the scenes with the other characters to be more interesting, but they were also very bleak.  1883 isn't on my rewatch list.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #302 on: March 03, 2023, 11:37:27 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
As for 1883, you're right that outside of Elsa there isn't much story at all.  And Elsa's story is basically: fell instantly in love with cowboy, cowboy dies, couple weeks later fell instantly in love with Native American, Elsa dies, all while speaking in the most melodramatic way possible. I found the scenes with the other characters to be more interesting, but they were also very bleak.  1883 isn't on my rewatch list.

I read an interview with Sheridan where he talked about Yellowstone and how he made such a successful show & what was his secret / style of writing. He said Yellowstone is just a standard melodrama (that exact word) just done in a different setting. On a ranch in Montana. That is the secret. People love the different setting but otherwise it the same type of melodrama tv series you'll find elsewhere.

« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2023, 11:47:56 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
1883 is really good. Sam Elliot is such a great actor.

I agree but I think I like 1923 better.

I don't know.  Just finished 1923 and it seems like the story didn't move at all.

I thought the acting, storyline, and characters were a lot better in 1881. 1923 was too sappy. Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren were good, but I didn’t really care for most of the other characters. Alexandra became annoying after a while. Thought the CGI was bad at times, too. Especially the scene with the Sharks. Still a decent show, but not as good, IMO.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #304 on: March 09, 2023, 10:28:57 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Last of Us: best episode yet this week. 

Yup

« Reply #305 on: March 09, 2023, 10:32:16 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Yes it was!! Show is soooo good
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #306 on: March 09, 2023, 10:37:07 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Some really poignant stuff at the end.
Yup

« Reply #307 on: March 09, 2023, 10:50:34 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Some really poignant stuff at the end.
not sure about poignant but very reminiscent of the Terminus cannibals in Walking Dead.  that preacher was one of the all-time scumbags in TV programming. 

« Reply #308 on: March 09, 2023, 11:33:13 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806

I agree.  Every week seems like a mini movie.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #309 on: March 09, 2023, 11:46:23 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Been tearing through the new seasons of Mandalorian & Bad Batch concurrently.  Enjoying both and although I keep having to remind myself that we're dealing with two different timelines here;  New Republic (Mandalrian) & beginning of the Empire (Bad Batch)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #310 on: March 09, 2023, 11:59:48 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Been tearing through the new seasons of Mandalorian & Bad Batch concurrently.  Enjoying both and although I keep having to remind myself that we're dealing with two different timelines here;  New Republic (Mandalrian) & beginning of the Empire (Bad Batch)

I am not a big Star Wars fan (haven’t really seen the full movies but know enough) I do enjoy the Mandalorian. One thing for sure, the quality of special effects is pretty amazing on that show. I think that’s what keeps me interested.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #311 on: March 09, 2023, 12:01:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be

I am not a big Star Wars fan (haven’t really seen the full movies but know enough) I do enjoy the Mandalorian. One thing for sure, the quality of special effects is pretty amazing on that show. I think that’s what keeps me interested.

The budget on that show has to be ridiculous.  The special effects are incredible.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #312 on: March 09, 2023, 01:45:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I didn't watch Boba Fett.  Thankfully a coworker told me I should watch that starting in episode 5 before starting the new season of Mandalorian.  Very helpful.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #313 on: March 12, 2023, 10:44:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
For a show about a zombie apocalypse there are very few zombies in Last of Us.  Rather disappointing.  I know they are expensive and they probably had to cut some stuff, but cutting out basically all of the zombies is not the way I would have gone. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #314 on: March 12, 2023, 11:09:33 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
For a show about a zombie apocalypse there are very few zombies in Last of Us.  Rather disappointing.  I know they are expensive and they probably had to cut some stuff, but cutting out basically all of the zombies is not the way I would have gone.

I get this, but I think the desire was to focus on the Joel / Ellie story at the expense of suspense and action sequences. Most of the antagonists are human, which makes plenty of sense. 

I tried to think, what would more “zombies” have added, and I can’t think of a lot.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes