Author Topic: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?  (Read 56308 times)

Re: What’s the Last TV Series You Watched?
« Reply #255 on: February 01, 2023, 09:57:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
So not a 'new' show by any means, but currently giving Oz a rewatch and it's interesting to see how dated certain aspects of the show are while others remain blueprints for 'prestige' television two decades on. If Twin Peaks was the first TV show to be shot like a film, Oz is probably the first TV show to be shot like 'an HBO show'

One of my absolute favorite shows of all time.  Writers really knew how to write the characters.  Definitely helped set the stage for Sopranos to come along.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #256 on: February 01, 2023, 10:21:13 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
Just finished watching the 3rd episode of The Last of Us.  Powerful entertainment!  Unlike the first two episodes that focused on how the world was being overtaken by a global pandemic, this episode takes a sharp turn.  An unexpected story about two people who fall in love and take care of each other in a messed up world.

Very good episode.  But...

That’s not the Quabbin? I think they just forgot a zero.  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #257 on: February 01, 2023, 10:23:41 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm now into Bosch.  My wife and I are through season 4.  How did I miss this when it was on originally, I think it's really good.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2023, 10:30:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just finished watching the 3rd episode of The Last of Us.  Powerful entertainment!  Unlike the first two episodes that focused on how the world was being overtaken by a global pandemic, this episode takes a sharp turn.  An unexpected story about two people who fall in love and take care of each other in a messed up world.

Hell, that's not even the Wachusett!  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #259 on: February 01, 2023, 10:56:25 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Can't be 10 miles from Boston, because you don't see a Dunkin!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #260 on: February 01, 2023, 11:07:26 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
So not a 'new' show by any means, but currently giving Oz a rewatch and it's interesting to see how dated certain aspects of the show are while others remain blueprints for 'prestige' television two decades on. If Twin Peaks was the first TV show to be shot like a film, Oz is probably the first TV show to be shot like 'an HBO show'

One of my absolute favorite shows of all time.  Writers really knew how to write the characters.  Definitely helped set the stage for Sopranos to come along.

The writing remains top-tier, and the way the shots are mostly medium-close, to emphasize the claustrophobia of the setting... It's just staggeringly good all around (my partner is the one who said we should watch it since it's one of her favorites as well). We'll probably revisit Sopranos, Deadwood, and The Wire next just because it's been long enough that we can go in 'fresh' at this point.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #261 on: February 01, 2023, 11:11:12 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

And what was that mystery/non-existant museum!

I thought the 3rd episode was the best yet.

Tying in a side story with new characters, while still advancing the main plot is something The Walking Dead lost the ability to do years ago!
Yup

« Reply #262 on: February 01, 2023, 11:54:01 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Tying in a side story with new characters, while still advancing the main plot is something The Walking Dead lost the ability to do years ago!

Believe that’s the old minuteman museum/visitor center in historic Concord/Lincoln MA. It’s on the way to the Quabbin. Right off route 2…
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 12:41:36 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2023, 09:30:36 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I started rewatching Black Summer and I have to say, that is one of the best rawest zombie shows. Very underrated. One of the few that tackles the pandemic at its early phase and has lots of overlapping characters. They do some good scenes with those long single take shots that adds suspense.

The acting isn’t that great and there are some scenes that are a bit long. If this was a bigger budget series, it would be so much better but this is a really good show for those that like the zombie genre.

I enjoyed this at first and then it became so strange that people keep killing eachother when they change soo fast and are so fast and ferocious .  zombies are waaaaaay more dangerous than 1 person with any weapon in this particular zombie show than anything else I’ve seen. That took me out of it.

« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2023, 09:35:47 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
Saw the second episode of Last of Us while I still have a free trial. I don't have too much experience with the video game so far it's mediocre. Maybe it's because the big budget I expect more, but to me it's been like Walking Dead with lots of talking and drama with not as much action. The action has been good and I will definitely say that these creatures are a lot scarier than any other zombie shows. So far it's not enough for me to keep HBO. I might do a month in the future once all episodes are out though.

I mean, it’s going to take more than 2 episodes for the story to unfold. What exactly do you find to be mediocre? I think the acting, cinematography, and special effects/CGI are excellent.

I dint get the zombie fascination at all to the point it’s got tons of aftershows. But I’m in the nerd minority . I like other nerdy stuff. 

« Reply #265 on: February 01, 2023, 09:40:22 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  So many shows that I found interesting got cancelled. I loved Bloodline that was on Netflix. Ben Mendelssohn had maybe my favorite tv performance ever on that show . Great cast.
  I was so bummed when that got cancelled.
  I’m now in Season 4 of the Expanse. This may be the most detailed show I’ve ever seen. It’s hard to follow with a good sized ensemble cast and many different locations , planets, ships, space. But it is a serious undertaking. I’m so glad Amazon picked it up.

« Reply #266 on: February 01, 2023, 11:12:08 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m watching Gangs of London on AMC+.

It’s completely over the top.  Gratuitous and brutal violence, a crazy plot, weekly mass murders, torture, gay orgies, terrorist attacks and Colm Meaney.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #267 on: February 02, 2023, 04:57:50 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

The episode was fine but it didn't really advance the main plot much.  They killed off the new characters in the same episode and the new characters didn't even interact with the main characters in the current time.  They could have just had the main characters show up and find the two guys dead without the side story. 

« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2023, 08:05:57 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

The episode was fine but it didn't really advance the main plot much.  They killed off the new characters in the same episode and the new characters didn't even interact with the main characters in the current time.  They could have just had the main characters show up and find the two guys dead without the side story.

I guess it more, in a very detailed side story way, explained how the plot could plausibly advance…
Yup

« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2023, 08:12:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I guess it more, in a very detailed side story way, explained how the plot could plausibly advance…

Yeah.  World-building is important.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes